recommendations for transition; Rockyview

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue54

I have been lucky to be scanning such a huge number of analog comms this last year living in the middle of R-view district. But as Jay points out, the new system will be making its way along the corridor soon.

I want to be scanning mostly fire and emerg public safety channels but can I get recommendations on the best all-around scanner once the p25 system goes into place.

As it is, I can monitor RC's, Fire Dispatch Rockyview, Airdrie ems, fire, and MtnView. I would like to continue as long as they don't become encrypted.

You suggestions are appreciated!

K

masonb

The G-5/600 or the U-396/996.
I just hope that they do not ut in the same CC setup as the RCMP's P25 provincial system in Saskatchewan. I hate the damn thing, stays on DAT & i think twice I got voice for a moment in P25.
I caught ID:26 showed up once, but i do not recall what channel as I was driving and just glanced down.
Weird system, I Have logged more frequency's as well in the 138-MHz band that I will submit later.

Sorry for high jacking the topic

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The system is going to be a pure 700MHz P25 system, so any modern scanner will handle it. A couple of important things have yet to be determined, though - it's possible that either selected channels/operations might be encrypted. It's actually a guarantee that SOME channels will be encrypted, like special ops, i.e. ERT, surveillance, etc. It is possible they'd encrypt the main dispatch channels, but we don't have the answer to that yet. The other option that could be giving scanner users grief would be if the control channel gets encrypted, which is a definite possibility, based on what the RFP documents say.

You won't be able to pick up any encrypted channels whatsoever on a scanner. So any talkgroups or transmissions that are made encrypted will be out of your reach.
If they go with an encrypted control channel, no scanners at all will be able to receive the system.
If they don't go with an encrypted control channel, any scanners that can handle 700MHz P25 systems will be able to pick up any non-encrypted talkgroups.

We won't know more until the winning vendor is announced, if even that soon...

rescue54

...and that is exactly what I was expecting. It would really be too bad if encrypted. The only good thing is our hall has no idea what is happening and it is barely a blip on the radar screen. So I am guessing there is a bit of time.

I am hoping this thread stays current regarding scanner type but I will keep checking into the other post regarding the new system.

Thanks!

K

Jay911

Feed Provider
For what it's worth, here are some things pertinent to Rockyview and to fire departments in general.

Rockyview, as part of a "Calgary Regional Partnership", was several years ago literally about to put pen to paper agreeing contractually to have Motorola build out the Calgary trunk system into Rockyview and other surrounding areas so that the CRP would use it as their region-wide communications system. That was about to be signed when the province announced the plans for AFRRCS... I think it was 2003 or 2005 when this happened.

The plan with AFRRCS is that the province will build out all the infrastructure for the system, meaning the radio towers, trunk sites and backhauls, etc etc etc., and the users i.e. first responders/firefighters/etc will only have to pay for the actual radios used to get on the system. That's a significant relief for most departments, which may have a few thousand dollars a year tied up now in repeaters, tower sites, servicing agreements and such. However, a P25 radio is not cheap. If you go with a Motorola radio like an XTS5000, you're looking at ballpark $5000 to $6000 for each radio (mobile or portable). For Redwood Meadows, with 7 trucks, that's $42,000 or so for mobiles alone. I do believe Crossfield has the same number of trucks, right? I don't know what you have for membership, but if you intend to give radios to each member of the department, you're looking at $5000-$6000 x number of department members. Redwood has around 25 to 30. Ouch!

rescue54

Well, right now we have 12-14uhf that the first members showing up get to use. Should we be using p25 radios like you say, that will be a significantly pricey upgrade. Let-alone the fact that I may no longer be able to monitor our region.

Can I use some of the info here Jay, to advise the Chief (just a primer, no discussion about the source)? Is there something coming down the pipe that the Chief should have formaly seen by now?

Thx

Jay911

Feed Provider
Sure, you can pass it on.

I keep asking the Solicitor General's Office if they will have publications (newsletters, etc) or websites available regarding the AFRRCS system, and keep getting told "soon". There's nothing I know of, yet, that can be downloaded or viewed, but I'm sure there are some documents or other notes that either Rockyview or some of your other local departments may have picked up at information sessions. I'd expect there will be another session not long after the RFP closes on 2/18/09.

I may have some stuff I can share off-site.. fire an email my way and I'll take a peek.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
But what is in the site? I can't seem to find anything of use that I don't already know. Just look at the Q & A: Q: This is Question #1

A: This is Answer #1. Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text Lotsa Text

Let's hope they [government] can get some useful information on this site. Scheduled events indicate a 2008 November calendar, nothing more. This is the transparent Alberta Government at it's best.

rescue54

I guess we will see. With a working date of 2012 and the speed of which the government works I would say we have some time.

Thanks guys!

Jay911

Feed Provider
I wouldn't think you'll have to wait till 2012. I am of the belief that the 2012 date is for total system completion, much like the announced dates for the Ontario FleetNet were for the rollout of all four (five?) zones. AFRRCS is going to be built in 19 sections, one per census district - though I suspect maybe some of them might go on concurrently. In the proposed buildout, Edmonton/Capital area is to be first (of course!) as the 'prototype', and Calgary & area is sixth on the list. I would suspect that as areas are built, they will go online, again, much like Ontario did with their system. And I would think that 6th out of 19 will mean that Calgary will be at least built and testing, if not in use, by the end of 2009. (That is, if the province doesn't cough to a screeching halt like they have with the provincial ambulance dispatch stuff...)

As for the lackluster website, I'm sure it was just a framework put up to shut up people like me who keep asking "Are you guys ever going to put up a website?" :lol: I would expect it will get more attention after the bids close on 2/18/09.

Status
Not open for further replies.