Anyone know the West Coast Express passanger train freq? [BC - Lower Mainland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Sorry if this is bad forum etiquette (I did read the forum guidelines first)

Does anyone know what frequency is used for the West Coast Express passenger train that operates between Mission and downtown Vancouver? I ride the train every day and I know that the conductor and the engineer use a radio to communicate with each other while the train is in motion, it would be neat to hear what is going on during my commute.

Also, what frequency would the engineer use to contact other trains/the train yard, etc?

If no one knows the exact frequency could someone please give me the band and mode to use if I wanted to scan for this? I am assuming WFM in the UHF band would be a good place to start? I'm using an Icom IC-R3 if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a total scanner noob. I bought it to listen to the airport near my house, but so far that's about all I can do with it. I've tried scanning for stuff, but I never know what settings I should be using, for example: If I am scanning 400-500Mhz do I want to be in FM, WFM or AM mode? Is there a "noob guide to using a radio scanner" page out there somewhere?

omrail

Does anyone know what frequency is used for the West Coast Express passenger train that operates between Mission and downtown Vancouver? I ride the train every day and I know that the conductor and the engineer use a radio to communicate with each other while the train is in motion, it would be neat to hear what is going on during my commute.

Also, what frequency would the engineer use to contact other trains/the train yard, etc?

you will find all the traffic you are looking for on the following
161.47500 CP1 Train Standby (Mile 52-106) from Mission to maple meadows
160.72500 CP78 Train Standby (Mile 106-129) from maple meadows in to Vancouver

West Coast Express contracts Canadian Pacific to supply the train crews as will as runs on the CP main line, which is called the Cascade Subdivision.

hope that helps you and happy scanning

xjf79

normally all two-way voice comms uses either nbfm or fm mode.
wbfm mode is used for FM music stations only.
am mode is normally used for aviation comms but there are afew exceptions

hoped this helped

mciupa

Thank you for affirming the info, however please do not respond to old posts in the future.The original poster has not logged back in since he asked this question back in 2009. He may not read your reply, but others may find some value in it.

It would be better to start a new discussion saying what you heard today because old information at times may no longer be applicable and may confuse the reader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.