Newbie in sask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5TYS

Hi all, just new to radios, got my license back in November and recently got a cheap Wouxon KG-UV6D handheld. Having difficulty making contact anywhere but probably because of my location and limited range of my radio. But just thought I'd say hello, and see if maybe there's anyone close to Lipton, SK on here.

William

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with Lipton, SK. Suggest contact local ham radio clubs for repeater info. as with a handheld you will be limited. Check :: RepeaterBook.com :: Amateur Radio Repeater Directory for various repeaters in your area. As you say, the cheap Wouxon is like that, cheap. Granted, does have fairly good transmit audio, and receive not bad as well. But the scan just sucks. And not true dual band/watch. Not an easy radio to program, even with software [unless new software only requires entering the receive frequency and not both receive and transmit]. And if in a remote area, or any distance from repeaters, a hand held just does not cut it. There it is only useful for monitoring. Maybe if you listed your repeaters that you are trying to make contacts with, someone in SK might be able to help you. But the obvious suggestion would be to get a mobile/base radio if location is a problem.

VE5TYS

Thanks for the reply. Lipton is about 80km NE of Regina, or 10 minutes north of Fort Qu'appelle. The Balgonie repeater is the closest, Repeaterbook says 55km on my phone, the Regina ones are between 70 and 80km as the crow flies. I actually managed to hit the Balgonie repeater tonight, about 6pm, all I could hear was the beeps of the repeater, nobody picked me up. I'll try again tomorrow. Came in pretty clear on the handheld. 55km on my handheld and was clearer than my commercial radios in my trucks at 20km so I am quite happy.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have heard a lot of people say if you can hear [the repeater], you can generally work it [the repeater]. However, I hear an awful lot of people saying they could hear the repeater clearly but no one came back to them. And on this end, all I heard was a lot of static. So just by kerchunking the repeater may not mean your voice transmitted over it. Depends on the repeater antenna and the repeater sensitivity. With only 5 watts and a questionable antenna, the handheld may hear the repeater but the 5 watts may not carry the voice to be heard. To me the general rule is to use the hand held for monitoring but use a mobile radio AND antenna for transmitting. And for 55 kms. another rule would be that inside a building or vehicle, a lot of the transmit signal is blocked so an outside antenna is advised. Also, some stock antennas are not that great and a better antenna is suggested [this is discussed in other threads on the RR site or look at hand held antennas on eham.com]. As with any radio, the rule of line of sight applies. So if inside a building or vehicle, it is not true line of sight. Being close to a window in a building may help, but is not guaranteed. If you are 55 kms or more from repeaters, a mobile in the base or vehicle with an outside antenna will be better. Hopefully, someone on here from Sask. will be able to help more. As a last note, I am not certain if a tone is required to get into the repeaters in your area. You will be able to hear the repeater but not access it.

PhotoJim

Turn your wattage to full. :)

There is decent activity on the Balgonie repeater. Keep trying to get better access (outside, and closer) and see when people can finally hear you.

You can also monitor 146.520 MHz - the simplex calling channel - but it seems to be pretty quiet in Saskatchewan. It's radio-to-radio, no repeaters.

If you can get yourself an adequate antenna system perhaps you can hit the Regina repeater VE5YQR. We have the Saskatchewan 2 metre net on it at 9:00 pm CST.

Jim aka VE5EIS

VE4GIS

Hey, a belated welcome to radio. I got my license in November 2011. I'm from Winnipeg, but have family in Fort Qu'Appelle. The Balgonie repeater is on a high elevation point and has great coverage even right down the the Qu'Appelle Valley. Regina is significantly lower in elevation than Balgonie...so even with a 100ft tower, I don't think that you'd ever get into Regina. I had hoped that one day they'd link Balgonie to Regina, but that's not going to happen now. The land that the Balgonie repeater is on has been sold and the new owner doesn't want a comm tower on their land, so it's moving somewhere North of Regina. The actual tower is taller, but the elevation is lower so, bottom line, the new repeater will probably be a couple hundered feet lower than the current one at Balgonie. It's doubtful that it will reach into the Lipton/Fort Qu'Appelle area, but hey, you never know.

I can hit the Woseley repeater from the farm, but I've never heard anyone on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.