Edmonton Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been listening online to the new feed, anyone happen to know the car numbers/letters they use ?
Here in Nova Scotia we have 1Alpha, 2Charlie etc for the different areas of the city .

Been listening online to the new feed, anyone happen to know the car numbers/letters they use ?
Here in Nova Scotia we have 1Alpha, 2Charlie etc for the different areas of the city .

Alpha Delta and Charlie cars all cars here are tagged D29 or C25 ect :) not sure if this answers your question thanks for listening ! :D

Oh how ever i was going to also mention the alpha delta charlie cars don't appear to be in any specfic division as when i drive around i will see a delta car on both north and south side same with a charlie car how ever if you listen to the feed in VLC im also broadcasting alpha tags to identify the talk groups :)

Thanks for that Harry however i have seen plenty Of delta cars in southwest division and like side in north not 100% sure why perhaps there just reallocating resources ?

Just as a friendly heads up. EPS does not want their dispatch audio made available online. As you are probably not aware, in Canada prior to placing a feed online one must obtain permission from the originating agency. A few years ago we tried to get permission to host an audio feed for EPS but were given the reason of officer safety as well as privacy concerns as a reason for not allowing us to make their audio available online. In their letter they also quoted the following from the Radiocommunication Act.

Radiocommunication Act

(2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.

9.1 Every person who contravenes subsection 9(1.1) or (2) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable
(a) in the case of an individual, to a fine not exceeding twenty-five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or to both; and
(b) in the case of a person other than an individual, to a fine not exceeding seventy-five thousand dollars.

Granted a lot of feed providers don't take this step and never have an issue. However with EPS being against the practice they have been known to shut down feeds in the past. Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your equipment. I just don't want you to be blindsided in case someone shows up at your door.

Thank you for that information I will take the feed down tonight and contact RRs audio admin and do some digging an inquirying

No worries. Since we went through the approval process for our feeds if there is anything that we can do to help let us know. It's not an easy process but it sure beats the alternative of getting into hot water.

From what I have been able to tell EPS is the only agency that seems to actively discourage people from streaming their audio. So maybe if you can't get their permission to host an EPS feed you might have better luck with another agency.

Edmonto Police Service

Too bad about the possible shutdown, I just started listening from Nova Scotia, there was a feed for Halifax Police online but it too is gone, but nothing to do with permission from HPD, it was the cable company, too much bandwidth is a violation of their policy , seesh .

SCPD

QRT
It's not an easy process but it sure beats the alternative of getting into hot water.

From what I have been able to tell EPS is the only agency that seems to actively discourage people from streaming their audio.

The last guy that had an EPS feed didn't have his feed up long as he got a knock on his door and was threatened with legal action. Unless I had very deep pockets I sure wouldn't want to fight with the lawyers over something like a radio feed.

Yes feed was taken down at 6pm this evening after only 48 hours or so of broadcasting I'm currently in the process of trying to fix out whom to talk to

Edmontonfireradio you said you attempted prior do you have any info in regards to whom I would direct some questions to ?

Cheers

Ah ok well I shall just talk my way up the ranks I guess I really would love to host the feed but certainly not going to do so if it means legal repercussions

Out of curiosity Edmontonfireradio I am fairly new into the scanning / RR world is there any local clubs here in Edmonton that meet That you are aware of ? I would certainly love to meet some other people and perhaps learn some new things

Perfect I shall try and make a point of meeting up I have far to many questions and very difficult to figure out by ones self

A great for instance on the Edmonton public safety trunk I'm scanning for new talk groups that aren't in the RR Database what's the difference between say a 123 tg and a i5001 tg

Or how is a troubled system located and identified ? Is there any good resources you could suggest ? Right now I have a combination of arc xt and ID tracker III is there any other software you would reccomend for the uniden 346xt and bct15x ?

Looks like I certainly don't understand trunkated systems as well as I thought

I'm a bit confused to the difference doesn't a "individual" radio transmit on a certain talk group ?

Sorry for my ignorance perhaps you might be able to point me to some literature thy could better explain a edacs trunk

Thank you for your guys time

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Individual radios normally transmit on talkgroups, but can also make so-called "private calls", which connect one radio to another radio directly, bypassing the talkgroups.

Generally, when you see a talkgroup showing 'i' in front of it, you're listening to a private call. While it's called a private call, it's not truly private, obviously, except to the other users of the trunk system (who don't have the ability to listen in to everyone's private calls).

So say for instance we where monitoring EPS a individual radio would be like a car to car call rather then a call to talk group call ?

Status
Not open for further replies.