146.61 VE6OIL RCMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Am putting this out as there has been Strathmore/Chestermere RCMP coming over 146.61 most of today. If anyone can check the input frequency of 146.01 to see if you can hear transmissions. ? if someone is cross banding or in some other manner playing around. I haven't had the time to really listen if it is the same as the VHF frequency or the UHF frequency.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Robertmac: is it constant full transmissions? Or does it appear that there is mixing that is getting into the repeater?

Sent from an unknown place...

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Every time the 155.79 repeater is on air the transmissions on the RCMP come over OIL. Sometimes the transmissions have a fair amount of static, other times clear. That is why I was wondering if someone was cross banding [within VHF and not VHF to UHF]. I am not familiar were the Calgary repeater is for 155.79 [is used for Tsuu T'inna reserve that is in the SW part of Calgary].

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It does on the output for sure, should be on the input too ... 114.8.

I don't have a ham radio with me today or I'd give it a listen.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

beeperboy said:
Sounds like intermod. Does VE6OIL have CTCSS?

Just transmits PL. Carrier squelch on the input... Certain people in the hobby refuse to buy radios that can operate with full PL then whine when PL is implimented...

Jay or Robertmac, is this keying the repeater? Are you hearing a courtesy tone after the RCMP transmissions stop?

Jay911

Feed Provider
My Thales Liberty is in the truck. When I leave work at the top of the hour, I'll put VE6OIL into it and see what I can hear.

beeperboy

Just transmits PL. Carrier squelch on the input... Certain people in the hobby refuse to buy radios that can operate with full PL then whine when PL is implimented...

I knew hey. I had that fight for years building Ham repeaters, until I finally gave up and got a new hobby. The spectrum is too crowded and noisy nowadays for carrier squelch. Some people like living in the 60's though.

VE6E0

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Jay or Robertmac, is this keying the repeater? Are you hearing a courtesy tone after the RCMP transmissions stop?

There is a courtesy tone after the RCMP repeater drops. Listened to the input as I was out and about earlier today around the Millarville area, and heard nothing.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Yes, confirmed as above, courtesy tone present. Sounds kind of clear to be interference. Wonder if some twit has a crosspatch set up.

EDIT: I stand corrected, now I am hearing two separate transmissions. One is definitely Airdrie comms, and the MDC-like squawks typically heard on the trunk freqs (not the RTT MDC stuff) are present. Bleed over from a 138/142 trunk channel?

Last edited:

VE6E0

Agreed, sounds malicious to me, without knowing what else is collocated at the site.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There is nothing V/U LMR at CBC that I know of, BUT there is a nice 150-ish foot tower SW on the same 1/4 sec, that has a bunch of VHF antennas, and nothing shows in TAFL although there is taxi stuff up on the hill top somewhere... Could be RCMP... I will not be down that way for a bit. Hope someone can figure it out.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I knew hey. I had that fight for years building Ham repeaters, until I finally gave up and got a new hobby. The spectrum is too crowded and noisy nowadays for carrier squelch. Some people like living in the 60's though.

A bit OT but hey... Agreed, old dinosaurs that refuse to spend a cent, cause there old IC-2AT has not died yet, they feel they don't need to join the 21st century.

beeperboy

Yes, confirmed as above, courtesy tone present. Sounds kind of clear to be interference. Wonder if some twit has a crosspatch set up.

EDIT: I stand corrected, now I am hearing two separate transmissions. One is definitely Airdrie comms, and the MDC-like squawks typically heard on the trunk freqs (not the RTT MDC stuff) are present. Bleed over from a 138/142 trunk channel?

So you're hearing the Airdrie trunk on VE6OIL too? Is it there all the time, or does it mix with 155.790 MHz repeater when it's up?

beeperboy

Is VE6OIL an actual site approved repeater, or another ham repeater thrown together from two 30 year old mobiles screwed to a piece of plywood, as I often witness?

Jay911

Feed Provider
So you're hearing the Airdrie trunk on VE6OIL too? Is it there all the time, or does it mix with 155.790 MHz repeater when it's up?

That one time that I heard it before that post, I heard two OCC operators distinctly, carrying on different conversations (and it wasn't a case of one's mic picking up another - the high-pitched chirp prior to them transmitting was present on both conversations). The one conversation I could distinguish was an operator talking to a unit about something west of Airdrie on highway 567, so I'd presume that was the A9 repeater. When that conversation ended, I heard the squawk that one hears (on the trunk freq) when OCC "drops the repeater". The other conversation could have been from A4, but I don't know for sure as not enough readable comms came through for me to tell what locale was being talked about.

For what it's worth, I did receive the Cochrane repeater (I generally listen to it thru A15) on another radio, and did not hear any comms thru OIL at the same time, so at least that one is not involved.

I haven't seen OIL myself so I can't answer what equipment comprises it. It's pretty much the #2 repeater (behind RYC) in Calgary though, complete with voice ID on the hour and I believe a phone patch too, so I would suspect it would have some semblance of "professional" gear on site.

Last edited:

beeperboy

That one time that I heard it before that post, I heard two OCC operators distinctly, carrying on different conversations (and it wasn't a case of one's mic picking up another - the high-pitched chirp prior to them transmitting was present on both conversations). The one conversation I could distinguish was an operator talking to a unit about something west of Airdrie on highway 567, so I'd presume that was the A9 repeater. When that conversation ended, I heard the squawk that one hears (on the trunk freq) when OCC "drops the repeater". The other conversation could have been from A4, but I don't know for sure as not enough readable comms came through for me to tell what locale was being talked about.

For what it's worth, I did receive the Cochrane repeater (I generally listen to it thru A15) on another radio, and did not hear any comms thru OIL at the same time, so at least that one is not involved.

I haven't seen OIL myself so I can't answer what equipment comprises it. It's pretty much the #2 repeater (behind RYC) in Calgary though, complete with voice ID on the hour and I believe a phone patch too, so I would suspect it would have some semblance of "professional" gear on site.

Thanks Jay. Interesting observations. I'll have to listen for it. Anyone know who the custodian of OIL is? I might be able to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.