Calgary Transit --> Calgary Municipal Radio Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks like it's starting....

If you noticed a few weeks ago the tech put onto Bankers Hall - Site 1, Broadcast Hill (TransAlta) - Site 2, Spy Hill - Site 3, Fish Creek - Site 4, Forest Lawn - Site 5, Airport - Site 6, and South Calgary Health Campus - Site 7 have added frequencies to accommodate for the transition of the City of Calgary departments.

In my scanning today I have confirmed LRT is on TGID 9792 (Not 100% Sure if its LRT Track and Way, or LRT Dispatch but they are on the system)

If I was a betting man, when the Calgary Fire Department bought new APX radios that went on the air in April 2016, the old ones went into surplus to be used for Parks, Roads, Transit, and any other department that was using iDEN

I have also heard:

Channel 1 9600
Channel 2 9616
Channel 3 9632
Channel 4 9648
Channel 5 9968
Channel 11 9696

We just need to identify what the are all being used for.

Can anyone help?

RedsunsDriver

Can only hear dispatch, not the driver. Also 9792 sounds like blue line dispatch right now, but could also be a testing TG

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I heard someone testing a few weeks ago from a bus, so they're getting them too. Also picked up a bunch of other TGs in the 9000-10000 range which may be Transit or some other agency.

Jay911

Feed Provider
My Unitrunker is only showing 16 channels on Forest Lawn.

Also, I have been going thru recordings from weeks past on my scanner and 9792 made references to Red Line and Blue Line stops on 2016-07-10. I suggest that it is LRT Control for both lines.

July 27th (afternoon) saw two radio tech persons on the platform area at Westbrook LRT testing a handheld and a laptop, what I could hear they were having problem getting a reception from someone outside of the LRT platform, one of the guys said "looks like they may need to add a booster to get the signal outside the platform area".FYI

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
July 27th (afternoon) saw two radio tech persons on the platform area at Westbrook LRT testing a handheld and a laptop, what I could hear they were having problem getting a reception from someone outside of the LRT platform, one of the guys said "looks like they may need to add a booster to get the signal outside the platform area".FYI

That's the underground station, right?

Jay911

Feed Provider
How many hits do these other channels have? If they are legitimate they should be in the hundreds at least if not thousands.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
How many hits do these other channels have? If they are legitimate they should be in the hundreds at least if not thousands.

I may have forgot to put logging on on my laptop in the truck, where the pics came from, but they were all active..... were......

Jay911

Feed Provider
That column "Hits" on the right side of your last screenshot should be telling you how many times the channel was active. The control channel will show zero hits (a hit = a voice grant), the alt control channels will show a low number of hits (in mine it's in the thousands, none over 10000), the "older" channels show a huge number of hits (mine are in the 135000 range), and the "newer" channels (that were added a couple months ago) show a number of hits comparable to the alt control channels (1000-5000 on average).

All the other frequencies you have will have extremely low values in comparison (0, 1, or only a few). On a dirty/weak signal, Unitrunker will list erroneous channels like this. If one bit in the data stream is garbled, the signal can say use channel 507 instead of channel 607, and now you have a "new frequency" in your list.

I have been running Forest Lawn on an SDR with excellent signal strength for 8 hours a day for several weeks and have only 16 frequencies in my list, period.

Also - the Transit talkgroups are listed in the RRDB as analog. They're digital on the recordings I have monitored.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
REF: Calgary Transit

Not sure what I'm missing here ???

So quick question ref the screen print ...
(Calgary Municipal Radio Network?)
Is this a P25 radio system like it says???
Motorola Type II SmartZone
Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

I thought the LCN meant that it was a GE system?

I see the frequencies in the screen shot do not include 866.1375 (Fish Creek Control Channel)
Or 867.4375 (South Calgary)

Did you do a Search between limits ... or entered Freq to Search?

Got the search going ... nothing heard on the BCD996XT

Suggestions??

Jay911

Feed Provider
REF: Calgary Transit

Not sure what I'm missing here ???

So quick question ref the screen print ...
(Calgary Municipal Radio Network?)
Is this a P25 radio system like it says???
Motorola Type II SmartZone
Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

I thought the LCN meant that it was a GE system?

I see the frequencies in the screen shot do not include 866.1375 (Fish Creek Control Channel)
Or 867.4375 (South Calgary)

Did you do a Search between limits ... or entered Freq to Search?

Got the search going ... nothing heard on the BCD996XT

Suggestions??

Calgary Municipal Radio is a Smartzone system, as the description above says, as far as scanners go.

Based on my monitoring of the talkgroups recently, all you're going to hear is "Radio test, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5". I don't know what else you're looking for.

This is the same radio system that has been in use in Calgary since about 1998.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ...
Not sure what a Smartzone system is?
I was under the impression that it was operational for Transit.
Doesn't sound like it is worth listening to?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Thanks ...
Not sure what a Smartzone system is?

Motorola Smartzone is a Motorola Type II trunking system with multiple sites (it's more than that, but that's the simplest explanation).

I was under the impression that it was operational for Transit.
Doesn't sound like it is worth listening to?

Transit is in the midst of testing, from what scanner users can tell by listening to their new talkgroups. Testing is typically done prior to going live.

The CMRN system is only "worth listening to" if you want to hear:

Calgary Fire Department
Calgary Police Service
Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services
Calgary Airport Authority YYC
Calgary Airport Authority YBW
ENMAX
Calgary Courthouse Corrections
AHSEMS Metro Calgary
Rockyview County Fire Service
Cochrane Fire Service
Bighorn Emergency Services
Chestermere Fire Rescue
and, as mentioned in this thread, soon, Calgary Transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.