PPSTN RCMP ITSS info update

Status
Not open for further replies.
**EDIT by mciupa- This article is a copy of the original article found here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/rcmp-saskatchewan-f-division-year-review-2015-2016?wbdisable=true Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page**

RCMP F-Division Information Technology Support Services (ITSS)

ITSS is responsible for maintaining and managing the Provincial Public Safety Telecommunications Network (PPSTN). This network is a system of radio sites that all emergency providers (police, fire, ambulance) use to communicate. RCMP members use them to communicate with each other and with the Division Operational Communication Centre (DOCC).

Due to the geography of the province and the dispersion of the population, radio coverage is better in some areas than others. In order to improve radio coverage throughout the province, the RCMP, in partnership with the Government of Saskatchewan and SaskPower, added 15 radio sites in high-risk communities in the 2015-17 fiscal years. This means there are now approximately 275 radio sites in the province that allow emergency personnel to communicate.

ITSS is also working on implementing other innovative and cost effective solutions to improve portable radio communications coverage.
ITSS installed Vehicular Repeater System (VRS) technology into police vehicles in the North Battleford and the Shellbrook detachment areas. The VRS uses an in-vehicle communications system to strengthen the signal between the portable radio the member is carrying and the radio tower. This allows RCMP members to send and receive high quality radio messages in places where it is difficult to communicate via portable radio.

ITSS is also piloting a new innovative satellite push-to-talk radio-like technology to provide communications in the Loon Lake detachment area. These satellite phones also allow members to communicate in parts of the province where the radios are less effective. This is critical to ensuring that we can provide the best response to the people of Saskatchewan, even in the most remote areas.
ITSS is also collaborating with the municipal police services to implement a system that will interconnect their radio system with the PPSTN. Once fully implemented, this system will allow radios to roam between the systems and enhance radio portable communication for our members within city boundaries. This new innovative technology will improve communications and enhance the safety of our members and the public they serve to protect.

Sometimes police work also takes our members beyond our own provincial borders into Manitoba and Alberta. In the past, when an "F" Division member crossed into Manitoba or Alberta, the member would lose communication with the "F" Division DOCC and would only be able to communicate with the DOCC in the province they were in. To ensure seamless service delivery and officer safety, ITSS implemented a system that would allow "F" Division members to remain connected with "F" Division DOCC while in Manitoba. This technology will soon be implemented in Alberta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 20 00C sites ?

275 sites subtract 255 00A sites equal's 20 00C sites in the system, subtract the 6 00C sites in the RR Data Base equals 14 00C sites to find out there.

That's not many more for us to find to get that whole system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Interesting re the Alberta connectivity. Anyone got any indication if this is an ISSI gateway they're talking about? I was under the impression that AB ISSI connectivity was a ways off yet to both SK and MT.

I wonder how a VHF PPSTN user would roam into Alberta's 700 landscape and maintain connectivity. Or would border detachments have dual-band radios, or perhaps would have AFRRCS radios with ISSI'd talkgroups back to the home system?

where to go and how far ?

Interesting re the Alberta connectivity. Anyone got any indication if this is an ISSI gateway they're talking about? I was under the impression that AB ISSI connectivity was a ways off yet to both SK and MT.

I wonder how a VHF PPSTN user would roam into Alberta's 700 landscape and maintain connectivity. Or would border detachments have dual-band radios, or perhaps would have AFRRCS radios with ISSI'd talkgroups back to the home system?

I have no idea how they would accomplish this. The new Harris Multi-Band radios ?

A road trip to Lloydminster and up into the Fort Pit / Onion Lake area would probably reveal how they are linking Alt and Sk P25 networks.

Jay, could you take a road trip over to that area in the future ?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have no idea how they would accomplish this. The new Harris Multi-Band radios ?

A road trip to Lloydminster and up into the Fort Pit / Onion Lake area would probably reveal how they are linking Alt and Sk P25 networks.

Jay, could you take a road trip over to that area in the future ?

Lloyd would be the spot.

You would need to be able to watch two sites at the same time.

Any idea what Saskatchewan RCMP are using for mobiles and portables?

Any idea what Alberta RCMP are going to upgrade to for mobiles and portables?

They would have the same issues going into Manitoba. MTS Fleetnet is 800MHz.

I am curious about connectivity to the BC conventional network. Places like Crowsnest Pass, Lake Louis and Jasper

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Lloyd would be the spot.

You would need to be able to watch two sites at the same time.

Any idea what Saskatchewan RCMP are using for mobiles and portables?

Any idea what Alberta RCMP are going to upgrade to for mobiles and portables?

They would have the same issues going into Manitoba. MTS Fleetnet is 800MHz.

I am curious about connectivity to the BC conventional network. Places like Crowsnest Pass, Lake Louis and Jasper

Alberta RCMP have converted over 65 per cent of their mobiles and portables to Motorola dual band 7and800/VHF radios and are currently using them on PACS. Suppose Saskatchewan could also do the same.

beeperboy

Alberta RCMP have converted over 65 per cent of their mobiles and portables to Motorola dual band 7and800/VHF radios and are currently using them on PACS. Suppose Saskatchewan could also do the same.

It would have been pretty seamless if Alberta had gone with VHF instead of 700 MHz. The RCMP on both of their borders are using VHF P25.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It would have been pretty seamless if Alberta had gone with VHF instead of 700 MHz. The RCMP on both of their borders are using VHF P25.

I can’t figure why there were not enough 138/139MHz frequencies to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Atco and Fortis have most of them gobbled up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Then ISED should have forced them to relocate.

They did it in BC to create the Resource Road channels, and they did it to create the GMRS/FRS service, so it’s not like the precedence had not been set.

I’m pretty sure it was much more about the politics of creating a problem after inventing the solution of a PS 700MHz band.

SCPD

QRT
Then ISED should have forced them to relocate.

They did it in BC to create the Resource Road channels, and they did it to create the GMRS/FRS service, so it’s not like the precedence had not been set.

I’m pretty sure it was much more about the politics of creating a problem after inventing the solution of a PS 700MHz band.

Politics as 700mhz was the latest band wagon to join at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.