Using an ICOM F1000 & 3400 Legally in Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooly

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Posting here as I was hoping to gain the insight from members more familiar with Canadian Rules/Regs. I would have posted in Newcomers but didn’t want to waste the time of the American members. I've got big shoulders so, flame me accordingly. :)

First: A shout out to members moderators and administrators: Awesome place!

Background:
I’m familiar with 2-way radio communication on work-sites but new to it for personal use and the legalities thereof.

For business purposes I purchased two Icom F-1000S’s. I liked them so much I got the F3400DT as well (VHF 136-512MHz). Work was Civil Construction sites in BC. I required forestry service frequencies and site specific. I was able to piggy-back the license of the company I was working for to be able to purchase them. Being a tinkerer, I also got the programming software for each. The 1000’s are pretty easy to program but the 3400 is a little more challenging. So many options… so little knowledge.

I started lurking here to gain some insight but, the 3400 doesn’t appear to be a very popular radio for most. No worries, I’ll get there…eventually. The help file in the programming software is good but navigating back and forth on topics is cumbersome. That said, if someone has any ideas on a decent resource for understanding the options and programming, I’d be interested in hearing about it. So far, Google hasn't bore a lot of fruit. Certainly learning a lot about terminology and the size of the rabbit hole I can go down on all of this.

Being in Canada (Alberta) I know there are plenty of restrictions on the use of transceivers without having a license. My purpose of use is personal communication between two parties within a 10km radius. This would take place in remote areas (Fishing Trips). Being remote, for emergency purposes, I would like to program local frequencies (Park Wardens, RCMP, etc.) in the event their services would ever be required. Again, emergency purposes only. I did find the relevant frequencies here, thank you.

A little digging revealed that certain frequencies may be available for use (ie, FRS, License Exempt 462/467MHz) without having to obtain a license. Fairly broad question but if someone could chime in with any amount of clarity or direction to clarity on this, I would appreciate it. Canadian Regs/Standards have a tendency to read like bad stereo instructions. ;)

I wasn’t planning on obtaining a license unless I have to. My thought process was to utilize a frequency that would be considered exempt for 2-way communication between handhelds. Plays to above but, Insight/direction on this being permissible is appreciated. I know a person can by a set of $100 walkie-talkies for this purpose...Got em…Hate em! The Icom’s are far superior.

Thank you in advance,
Gooly

Gooly

Premium Subscriber
Doing the right thing isn't so hard...

Whew! That was far less painful than anticipated... $$/yr and I'm legal ($/radio). Great people at the office to talk to. Most helpful. Walked me through the form with details on completing it. Emailed some links to review as well.

For others that may find this useful: The information required has changed but they haven't updated the form yet. A call to your local office is suggested. (Found local office via the "Contact Us" link on the page your link points to.)

Mobby1-Kenobby: Thank you for stopping by. Huge help!

Now....Just to figure out the programming. :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Tread Carefully

Hi All,
Posting here as I was hoping to gain the insight from members more familiar with Canadian Rules/Regs. I would have posted in Newcomers but didn’t want to waste the time of the American members. I've got big shoulders so, flame me accordingly. :)

Welcome!

My purpose of use is personal communication between two parties within a 10km radius. This would take place in remote areas (Fishing Trips). Being remote, for emergency purposes, I would like to program local frequencies (Park Wardens, RCMP, etc.) in the event their services would ever be required. Again, emergency purposes only. I did find the relevant frequencies here, thank you.

Thank you in advance,
Gooly

In no way am I trying to flame you, but DO NOT program any emergency services frequencies.

It will create a huge bucket of trouble for your self. Even if it is a true emergency.

If you are in an area where there is no cellular service there are legitimate options you should use. PLB(Personal Locator Beacon) is a good option as are sa atellite phone(Global Star or Iridium), InReach or SPOT. Those are better options over popping up unannounced on the RCMP or Park Wardens repeaters.

If you are in a park you may be able to get permission to use the parks repeaters in an emergency, but do not count on getting permission. As for the RCMP, forget it. You will not receive permission to have access to their radio system.

Gooly

Premium Subscriber
Duly Noted...Soft Shoes ON!

kayn,

Thanks for chiming in. No worries. I get it!

I don't want/need any trouble. I appreciate the direction on alternatives. I will investigate as there is no cell service at all, where we go. We've been doing it for over 10 years and (Touch wood) have had no emergencies to date.

My thought process was along the lines of being able to make contact "IF" it were necessary. (Us old farts aren't getting any younger and we've been witness to one forest fire too many.) The radios seemed like a possibility as we would already be using them to keep in touch with each other.

We've got a good relationship with the Wardens so I'll query with them next outing. Perhaps they even have a frequency for such things.

RCMP? Nope, not going there. I hear you, Loud and Clear. (or is that 10-4?) Sorry, couldn't resist.:)

Insight and advise is appreciated.
Thanks again.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Fire away with questions on the devices I mentioned. I have had used a couple of them for work/personal. I can give you good and bad points on a lot of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooly

Premium Subscriber
Fire away with questions on the devices I mentioned. I have had used a couple of them for work/personal. I can give you good and bad points on a lot of them

Awesome. At the risk of taking the thread sideways a bit, I'll bite.

No disrespect to the beacon idea but, it doesn't really appeal to me. On the surface, it sounds like sending a distress signal from a GPS location as opposed to having a conversation. Being the 21st century, I figure there should be something a little more expedient at getting a message out. From experience, the Wardens can get a chopper to location in pretty short order if it's needed.

I'll do some googling on the Global Star, Iridium, InReach or SPOT. Yes, my use would be personal. The hope would be to find something on a rental basis instead of laying out $$$ for equipment and service fees. Not sure if that's feasible but a preferred direction for me.

Also to consider is something that works in the mountains. I know GPS works but not sure of the other technologies.

No, you can't put a price on safety. However, a cost effective solution is worth investigating. Thanks for the tips. I'll do some looking tomorrow. Suggestions for short listing in the meantime are very welcome.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This situation pops up every year at this time during hunting season. But at least I am glad to see you going about it the right way and obtaining a license. That way there will be less risk of interfering with other licensed users [even in remote areas]. The ability to communicate with RCMP and others will go the way Carrier Pigeon when AFRRCS is complete. I will mention that the RCMP did give us permission but it was for a mutual aid situation when we were involved with flooding in southern Alberta 12 years ago. But with the current state of opinion, this is not going to happen in 2017.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Using an ICOM F1000 & 3400 Legally in Alberta

Awesome. At the risk of taking the thread sideways a bit, I'll bite.

No disrespect to the beacon idea but, it doesn't really appeal to me. On the surface, it sounds like sending a distress signal from a GPS location as opposed to having a conversation. Being the 21st century, I figure there should be something a little more expedient at getting a message out. From experience, the Wardens can get a chopper to location in pretty short order if it's needed.

I'll do some googling on the Global Star, Iridium, InReach or SPOT. Yes, my use would be personal. The hope would be to find something on a rental basis instead of laying out $$$ for equipment and service fees. Not sure if that's feasible but a preferred direction for me.

Also to consider is something that works in the mountains. I know GPS works but not sure of the other technologies.

No, you can't put a price on safety. However, a cost effective solution is worth investigating. Thanks for the tips. I'll do some looking tomorrow. Suggestions for short listing in the meantime are very welcome.

Honestly, triggering a PLB is the same as an ELT on an aircraft or an EPiRB on a boat. The cavalry is coming. If you are remote or in difficult terrain, it WILL be a helo coming.

PLB’s have to be registered, when it’s triggered, they know who they are looking for.

InReach, and 3rd gen SPOT send text messages. Pretty easy to get a message out. They both geotag the messages(if the GNSS receiver can get a fix. They both have the ability to be triggered for an ‘SOS’. Cavalry is coming.

The InReach has the ability to 2-way text(send and receive)

A HUGE advantage to them, it requires little time, or bandwidth to get text messages through.

I was in a situation over Labor Day weekend, where I needed to call emergency service. I had no cellular coverage and tried my Global Star phone. I was not able to make a call because I was in an East-West valley and the days are in polar orbits and there was not enough time to make a call before the sat disappeared below the horizon. I ended up using my amateur radio and was able to get someone to call 911 for me.

When I carried a Pre-text message SPOT to supplement our phone tracking for work, I would get confirmation messages my beacons were received from my SPOT consistently in less than 10 minutes.

Text based sat systems do work and are surprisingly efficient. If you trigger an SOS from an InReach, SPOT, or PLB someone knows in minutes.

The downside to say phones: they don’t call 911. You MUST know non-emergency dispatch phone numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooly

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gents!

robertmac:
It's a seasonal thing, is it? Timing is everything. I'm actually trying to be proactive for fishing next year. :)
I have no issue doing things legally. I stopped in here to see if anything I was seeing as potential loopholes might work in my favour. I was reading the AFRRCS thread and I see the future. Thanks for stopping by.

kayn:
Great Info! Thank you.
Thinking about my situation and wants/needs, the InReach looks to be the better bang for my buck. Roadpost has a pay-as-you-go plan available. MEC "might" rent or I can rent from Calgary. The $300-$400 for a unit isn't too terrible a price tag.

I already have a Garmin GPS handheld so the tracking and other bells and whistles don't mean much to me. Texting specifics about a personal or external situation, as required, is a big plus. Where a beacon may bring them to me, InReach would allow me to send them where they are needed.

Thinking of last year...the "tourist" family with kids who decide to follow the bear that came through camp. We're heading for the boats and their heading for the bush with cameras. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!??? You can't fix stupid but you can at least send in the mop-up crew. All ended well when we suggested to them that their children are snack size and Boo-Boo might be bringing Yogi to the picnic.

I've got a path forward and thank everyone for their help. Much appreciated!

I'm starting the self study portion of my journey to see what comes of programming the 3400DT. The changing of the title of my post tells me the Moderators would probably prefer I start a thread elsewhere for that. (Didn't think I noticed, did you?) :p

I'm fairly confident I've received sufficient guidance/advice on this topic so, if closing this thread is in order, please do so.
Again, Thank you. Great place.
Gooly

Status
Not open for further replies.