RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Canada Radio Discussion Forums > Prairies and Pacific Coast

Prairies and Pacific Coast - Forum for discussing radio information in the Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Yukon and British Columbia provinces.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Default Local LE Scanner DEAD? Digital?

So, I'm new in terms of knowledge on how scanners work, but I have been listening to mine for years!!

As of a few days ago, my local RCMP started changing their car numbers and now the scanner is DEAD silent, no transmissions at all. They were operating on 155.820..

So today I took a drive out around my local detatchment and put my scanner on Close-Call Detect and it picked up something on 152.045, but its all like, not static but just a loud constant BZZZZZZZ.. So im curious, would this be a digital freq. i'm hearing?

Oh Also.

Wood Buffalo Country, Alberta Canada!

Thanks!!
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2018, 6:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What you're hearing on 152.045 is almost certainly ATCO Gas's new digital radio system - that's one of their frequencies.

I am almost as far away from you as I possibly can be (west of Calgary) so I don't know what's the story with your particular RCMP detachment, but the plans are to migrate to the new digital AFRRCS (Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System) between now and 2020.

Unfortunately due to (relatively) new rules regarding law enforcement data privacy, almost all LE comms nationwide are going encrypted. So even if you obtained a new digital scanner, you'd still be out of luck when it comes to listening to the RCMP.
Old 06-21-2018, 8:36 AM

Dewy101.
most likely they migrated to Digital VHF. however, many agency still maintain a Conventional Backup (analog). so, those frequency are still useable. but, as Jay said they may Encrypt , however not every agency Encrypt and its likely they don't Completely Encrypt. that said , I think its STILL worth upgrading to a Modern Digital scanner for information purposes. ONE thing you can try, depending on your Scanner Model , you can try Updating the Firmware, Software and the Entire Database. as many Agency are Migrating to Digital or 700mhz/800mhz conventional.
Old 06-27-2018, 6:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Yes they have changed radio system's.I believe at this time all Wood Buffalo RCMP communications are encrypted. I wouldn't recommend purchasing another scanner to listen to the RCMP in the Fort McMurray area. The only emergency services you can listen to now is the fire department. If I find a non encrypted system or channel I will be sure to update the database.