Most Active Repeaters in Montreal area

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA2SWP

Hello,

There are roughly 200 repeaters in a 30-40 miles radius of Montreal.

1) Some repeaters on which you'll find mostly English QSO
VE2RMP 146.760 / - (first one you should try)
VE2BG 147.060 / -
VE2RBV 147.210 / -
VE2REX 146.685 / -
VE2RTC 146.640 / -
VE2RED 147.270 / 103.5

2) Some of the most active, mainly in French but someone will definitely be happy to respond in English
VE2RXW 146.700 / -
VE2REL 147.315 / 103.5
VE2MRC 147.120 / 103.5
VE2RLD 145.190 / 141.3 (Province Wide Net)
VE2RST 145.130 / 123.0

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm dragging it up because the info is relevant to what I was looking for...

My question: Are these still the most active repeaters in the Montreal area? I'm newly licensed and just got my first radio (Yaesu FT-270R) this week so I've programmed the above frequencies into the memory, but it's been pretty quiet so far. I'm new, so I'm really just listening for now to get a feel for things before I jump in.

Is it worth my time to program all the local repeaters in? I've got the Repeater Book app... been wondering if I should put every Green listing in the memory bank and scan them all the time.

mciupa

I've split your question off into a new thread as things may have changed in the past six years.

I hope someone can help! :)

VE2NCG

Premium Subscriber
Instead of most active repeaters, you should check the various club in your area:
Clubs hébergés par RAQI | Radio Amateur du Québec
Myself a new ham since april 2016, I have join Canwarn, a greath gang with various interests in the hobby (myself and 2 others are into VHF weak signals, 2 others are really into SOTA etc...) theirs 6 repeaters have a greath coverage, and you can find people all day long...

Canwarnquebec.ca - CanwarnQuebec

Also since you are from Boisbriand, CRA Rivière-du-Nord, covering St-Jérôme to Montreal, another great gang:

http://raqi.ca/ve2cvn/ve2cvn/bienvenue.html

Welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Instead of most active repeaters, you should check the various club in your area:

Excellent advice regardless of where you live.

Sheldon, VE2SHW, used to run a net about radio stuff (scanners, SWL) on one of the anglo machines ... BG maybe? Sunday nights I think. Does he still do that? They'd probably welcome a question about which are the "hot" repeaters.

I would say put them ALL in and scan. Should be pretty obvious where the action is pretty quickly.

Peter
N5UWY/VE2 occasionally

VA2SWP

I would say put them ALL in and scan. Should be pretty obvious where the action is pretty quickly.

That's what I started doing the first night... then I stopped to reconsider putting them into memory in a more ordered way... popular stations first... English (mother tongue) then French... or store them in order by distance from home.

Maybe I should stop over-thinking it all. :D

plaws

Premium Subscriber
have u tried the DMR-MARK repeater in montreal, pretty active,

Locally (far from Montreal!), we switched our DMR repeater from DMR-MARC to Brandmeister. The thing with DMR repeaters on either network, is that the trustees usually set it up so that one of the global, national, or regional talkgroups is on one of the timeslots all the time. As you can imagine, those are busy. So you may hear a lot of traffic but it's all guys in England talking to guys in Australia (or whatever). Very little RF involved, of course, only at the endpoint. I don't see the attraction of that (and I have D-STAR and DMR radios!) but I am clearly in the minority.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Excellent advice regardless of where you live.

Sheldon, VE2SHW, used to run a net about radio stuff (scanners, SWL) on one of the anglo machines ... BG maybe? Sunday nights I think. Does he still do that? They'd probably welcome a question about which are the "hot" repeaters.

Peter
N5UWY/VE2 occasionally
Hello,

I do not think Sheldon does a net anymore. When I was at the CIDX BBQ last August, he mentioned not using VHF for awhile and having problems with his setup the last time he tried using it.

Sheldon does the International Radio Report on CKUT (90.3FM) at 10:30 AM Sundays. The half-hour program covers radio listening and shortwave.

73 Eric

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Sheldon does the International Radio Report on CKUT (90.3FM) at 10:30 AM Sundays. The half-hour program covers radio listening and shortwave.

73 Eric

I listen occasionally online. Unfortunately, whatever CKUT uses to archive the recording cuts the recording into "shows" based on some arbitrary scheme and not when the show actually starts and ends so you have to go searching for the following show to hear the last minute or three of the Sheldon & David Show.

Good stuff, though, despite that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.