New Adcock RDF idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrySC

Over the years several Mfg's have made VHF RDF systems like the Regency Marine Polaris and I think Ramsey still makes one but this idea seems better. The idea is to use NMO hardware on small mag mounts. Supplied this way the consumer could buy whatever antennas he needed based on how much $ he could put into it. The antennas usually are proprietary which offers no option to antenna selection. I would be interested in an Adcock RDF type antenna if it had this feature. I tried to locate a good Polaris system but being 200 miles from the coast made it very hard. Ebay was out because of size of the Polaris antenna being shipped. SO, with hopes of someone reading this someway connected to the Mfg'ing of antenna systems is a long shot. Remember, lots of antennas are just made to SELL. A few select antennas are made to WORK. Best regards, Larry

D

DaveNF2G

The accuracy of the system would be affected by antenna selection. All antennae must be identical, and their size and therefore radiation patterns must be calibrated to the element spacing.

LarrySC

None of those issues were disputed. Antenna selection would the the option of the buyer - not the seller. They would of course all be the same. The element spacing is controlled by the Mfg's assembly of cable and hardware. The idea is: I would rather use VHF 3db Gain ant's, or something else, in place of 1/4wave whips supplied by the Mfg. There are at least 200 antennas on the commerical market that use NMO. Thanks for your reply, Larry

D

DaveNF2G

A gain antenna has gain because its radiation pattern is altered. A gain antenna will affect the system's DF accuracy.

prcguy

I don't think a gain antenna has anything to do with the accuracy however the spacing between antennas and precise length of coax for a specific band does matter.
OAR sold a mag mount box with 4 whips for its mobile direction finding equipment so there are other designs out there.
prcguy

ab3a

Omni-directional gain

A gain antenna has gain because its radiation pattern is altered. A gain antenna will affect the system's DF accuracy.

For those who don't know where the gain comes from (I presume Dave already knows this), Imagine a normal quarter wave vertical antenna: It has a doughnut shaped far-field radiation pattern. Now imagine a gain antenna: It has a pattern of a flattened doughnut.

Dave, I understand your misgivings. Many gain antennas, such as a 5/8 wave, depend strongly upon having a good ground plane. Installing more than one of these things on a car roof could make for a less than omnidirectional pattern. But that would be the case with 1/4 wave verticals too. I'll agree that with gain antennas such as a co-linear array, there will be side lobes above and below the main lobe. This means that unless your signal source and you are relatively level, you might run in to trouble figuring out where something is coming from.

The concept could work. But you'd have to be very careful to avoid antennas with more than one element, and you'd need to be certain you've got a good ground plane underneath it. This is good advice for any Adcock array, not just one with gain.

JayMojave

Hello Larry:

Using the MNO Hardware with Magnetic Mounts sounds like a good idea to me. But with the 5/8 wavelength antennas there will be need for a impedance matching circuit that will narrow the bandwidth as compared to the 1/4 wavelength antennas. And as the others here have said it will need a grood ground plane.

Any time a designed system has something different added to it, it will need to be tested.

I use a old Bendix 550 Direction Finder for locating noisy power lines, and thats a lot of fun. I set on the tail gate of my truck and the kid slowly drives down the road.

If some one had the Direction Finder it would be interesting to see how different antennas would work. You never know until you measure the systems.

Good luck.

Jay in the Mojave

benbenrf

RDF gets pretty involved, and while its true that so long as the antenna is capable of receiving the frequency the RDF unit is tuned to, its the digital processing of the received signal that determines how well the RDF works (ultimately).

The problem with most consumer RDF units is that they are built to work with specific antennas and antenna placement i.e. the do not have electronics to generate calibration signals for change in and/or variation in signal phase/amplitude/frequency or angle of arrival that comes about thru operator change in antenna placement or type, versus changes that come about thru the transmitted/monitored signal parameter(s). Professional and Mil Spec units can and do accomodate and recognise such changes. It costs big bucks to write log's and software for FPGA's and other RDF hardware to process this sort of data.

Remember - we are talking here about changes that the RDF unit electronics often need to read & measure in the time domain in micro/nano and pico second sort of time frames to undertake the bearing calculations that often need to be undertaken - and one of the most important changes that have to be recognised and processed for accurate DF tasking, is the effect that all the above have on signal timing, for which antenna type/placement is only one of the "inputs".

LarrySC, I hear where you are coming from idea wise, but after a lifetime working with Mil and space type antennas, I have to tell you that unless you can cater for factors I have described above, I'm afraid that any changes to an out-of-the-box RDF setup, or its antenna type/layout is unlikely to realise you any real world performance improvement that will consistanty display its self for all the changes that occur in carrying out DF tasks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.