Radio Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpd5127

I am looking for a small handheld or vehicle mounted system for radio signal direction detection. Basically I want to locate the source for a radio signal (173.075). I want some form of display to show me the direction and the signal strength to guide me to it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

n5ims

You looking for your own Lo-Jack setup like those in police cars? Basically, they're not sold to the public, but are all owned by Lo-Jack and loaned to the police. They are found at times on e-bay, but are quite expensive and often the auction is taken down prior to completion at Lo-Jack (or their lawyers) request.

Please see this thread for some additional info --> http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/121804-lo-jack.html#post905736

Comint

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a small handheld or vehicle mounted system for radio signal direction detection. Basically I want to locate the source for a radio signal (173.075). I want some form of display to show me the direction and the signal strength to guide me to it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Probably looking for something like this, or this.

--
Comint

benbenrf

... this is a one off application?

You know the frequency and you have a car - I'd construct a hand held or pole mounted 2 or 3 element Yagi for 173.075 Mhz, set your receiver for 173.075 (select as tight a bandwidth as you can if your receiver will let you select bandwidths - the narrower the bandwidth the greater the receiver sensitivity), connect up your DIY Yagi and rotate it for best signal strength, draw a line on a map, head off in that direction, jump out the car, repeat the above (i.e. rotate the antenna), take another max signal strength bearing (note it down on a map and draw a line).

Within a couple hours, so long as the transmitter is not hundreds of miles away, you should be able to get within a couple hundred yards of it - then look for the antenna.

To quickly elminate the possibility of the antenna been hundreds of miles away, take your first bearing and drive off at 90degrees to the the first bearing for a few minutes and then take another bearing with your antenna. The larger the angle where the 2 bearings intersect the closer the transmitter - and to be extra sure drive off again at roughly 45degrees to the second bearing for another few minutes and take another bearing. If all the bearings cross-over at roughly the same point then just head off to the area where they intersect.

Sounds basic - almost stupid, but you'll be suprized how well this can work, and how quickly you can narrow the transmitter location down to a few hundred square yards. Even if your initial bearings are as much as 15 - 20 degrees off, giving you an initial intersected area of several square miles, as you get closer and take more bearings that 15 - 20 degree error (and you can be sure there is going to be bearing error in the region of 20degrees or so, if not more), it will quickly start to represent less and less surface area.

Last edited:

n5ims

I suspect since there wasn't any posts in over half a year that the original poster got the answer they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.