Directional Finding

Status
Not open for further replies.

menace3397

Not sure if this is the right folder to ask this in, but does anyone know where to get a inexpensive DF unit. I could have sworn i saw one on a Big 5 ad for a few hundred dollars last year. Any suggestions......

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Those are fun, but I've found that nothing beats a receiver, a yagi antenna, and a step attenuator.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Dee effing AKA fox hunting is fun because it's a real challenge when the fox is hiding and/or moving from place to place. Oh it gets worse in the mountains when the fox uses a directional antenna and bouncing his signal around, some are foxier than others. The foxiest one of all was a repeater jammer who is a professor of applied psychology and having extensive knowledge of VHF propagation drove us nuts but being a long story the short version is "we got 'em".

I've never personally used a Doppler array but know they work exceptionally, only what do you do when in close proximity and the fox is somewhere overhead? That may be overcome with a hand held Yagi antenna but unless you know where the side lobes and nulls are, that means being real good at it you may be at a distinct disadvantage. Here's where a loop antenna comes in handy, it has a figure 8 pattern with two deep, sharp nulls so rather than looking for peak signal you null it out and looking through the loop gives you the directions.

Yup, plural so triangulation with a loop becomes even more important than with the previously mentioned methods. Once you are at the intersection of those lines you drew on the map, like I said it gets tricky, especially when the fox is above you. Then you start wondering where the little bugger could be, the signal looks like it's everywhere and for all practical purposes it is until you rotate the loop vertically and check the approximate elevation. Being surrounded by antennas at night I was stumped so I came back the next day and there it was, I was looking at an antenna atop a 75' tower. Yeah, it took some doing but we got that one too. (;->)

cityisourforest

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Geocaching taught me that in directional finding you should find two bearing from the target either determined longtitude or latitude..and with a little help from GPS..bingo, you got it...(Geocaching for dummies) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.