• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2008 Sequoia Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
It took me a while to get up the guts to start tearing apart my new truck but it was time. When I do installs I don't drill holes unless I have to and then not where they can be seen. I like to maintain the resale value.

I had a scanner (BCD996T) and a ham radio (Kenwood TM-D700A) to mount, along with a GPS unit for the APRS part of the ham. I started by mounting the scanner and the body of the Kenwood to a piece of wood because I could not find a good spot in the truck to mount them out of the way without drilling...or so I thought. This would end up being slid under the drivers seat.

When I pulled the center console apart I found there is lots of room to mount radio bodies under there but I would have a power problem if I did that since the Uniden remote head will not control the scanner power (That is my one big complaint about the remote head). I ran a Garmin GPS 18 (self contained hockey puck) up under the dash and stuck it with double sided tape to the top of the glove box. My truck has a great installed GPS/Nav unit but no output for the data so I needed the separate unit. This ran to a 12 volt outlet I installed under the console. I also installed two Motorola speakers under the console, one for each radio. Sound is great even through a layer of plastic and they are completely hidden and out of the way.

The radio heads were mounted using a Pro-Fit mounting bracket and the cables run inside the dash.

I installed a master power switch on the board under the drivers seat that be reached from the door side. It's easy to reach when getting in or out and it also controls power to the GPS so no battery drain if I leave the truck too long.

The antennas are mounted on each side of the front, just aft of the hood hinge. The roof, although the best for performance, would have made most parking garages and drive through areas off limits, and that was no good. I used "L" brackets and Larson mounts. I always use black antennas so they don't show up so much. A trick I learned when I used to outfit police cars is to use black rods and to paint the mount and antenna base with touch up paint the same as the car. They blend right in if you do that (great for unmarked cars).

What do you think?

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,125
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 4,940
  • Mounted 2.jpg
    Mounted 2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 6,056
  • Mounting board.jpg
    Mounting board.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,522

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Looks great! Remote heads on the Pro-Fit dash brackets turned out nicely!!

Someday I'll get around to posting pix of my 996/Spectra Hi/GD-Itronix XR-1/Panasonic Arbitrator MDV install in my 08 Tundra X-Cab

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
What is that on the Kenwood's power cord? Is that a noise filter?

If so do you mind my asking which one it is an how you like it?

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
The filter is the Kenwood version. I think I found it on their website. It plugs right in with no mods and works great. No noise at all.

fuzzhead

L brackett

How did you install that L brackett? I have a 2008 Sequoia too. How did you get the holes drilled into the sheet metal up there by the window? Seems to be little room for this mount, but obviously you accomplished it. Good job, looks great. Where did you route the coax through the firewall?

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
The L bracket for the antenna(S) comes from Larson. There is a rubber piece that covers the top of the fender just behind the hood hinge (at the far outboard edges of the black plastic trim part under the wipers). This rubber part is very soft and pulls right out of the way. I drilled two small holes in each fender for the bracket and the rubber part hides those holes when you put it back. To route the coax (and the power lead for the radios) I punched a small hole in a rubber boot in the firewall on the drivers side. There is a large bundle of electrical wires as well as the cable for the hood release that runs through that boot. This way I didn't have to drill any holes in the firewall and the rubber boot keeps it all weather proof.

The bracket holding the control heads comes from Pro-Fit, Mounts for Handheld and Mobile Electronics- Vehicle Specific Mounts..

This is the second vehicle I have used their brackets in (last was a 97 4Runner) and I will always use them now. The fit is perfect and they look good.

fuzzhead

Ok thanks,

I thought that was how you routed the cables into the cabin. I'll use the same route...it's very easy and simple. I am familiar with those Larsen L brackets. I have used them before in other installations in previous vehicles.
Right now I use a Diamond motorized antenna mount mounterd on the roof rack at the rear. I used it on my 4 runner also and it worked great Thats prettty much all the roof rack is good for.
I know that the vehicle OBD II computer is mounted under the kick panel on the right side. Any problems with RF getting into it or is the antenna on that side for recieve only?

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
I ran both cables through the drivers side so there is no interference from the computer.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Can you confirm for us what model antennas you used? One looks to be a Comet (dual band?) and the other maybe the Maxrad 150/450/800.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
The amateur antenna is a Comet SBB2 and the scanner is connected to a Maxrad BMAXSCAN 1000. They both work great.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
Updated Install

I have updated the radios in my truck. I have added an Icom IC-F5061 commercial VHF radio for work. The control head is mounted just below the prior control heads and the radio is under the drivers seat with the others. I added a Diamond K9000 motorized antenna mount to the luggage rack for the third antenna. Still no holes drilled in the truck and with the motorized mount I can still fit in parking garages.

PACNWDude

I like how that looks with the L brackets. I bought one of those for my car, they make it better for mounting things to the console.

For my use, I could not put control heads that large in my car, the passenger would complain. That looks nice in that Toyota though. And you probably have the room to not have the passenger complain either.

Thank you for sharing.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
Having room for the passenger is important, but paying attention to where the airbags would deploy is critical. The last thing you would want is the airbag to rip off the control heads and turn them into missiles.

N7DKL

Premium Subscriber
Here is the photo of the updated install.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 704
Status
Not open for further replies.