• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPI Tone Remote(s) / ComTekk Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

paramedszaf

Hey Everyone, there MAY have been a thread somewhere similar to this but what the hell anyway...

I am started in the early stages of working on setting up a back up communications set up.. I have found ComTekk's new version of their dispatch software to be pretty close to what I am looking for. My problem is even with reading the wiring diagram (ok illustration) I am trying to figure out how how to get point A to point B.. I obvously understand the Mic/Speaker/Aux part.. How the hell do I interface with the tone remote panels and the radios...

Any help is appreciated...

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Tone Remote Help

First thing you're going to need is a four-wire phone line from the computer to the termination panel. You need one pair for TX audio/control tones and one pair to get the receive audio from the radio back to the computer. Thus, you need to make sure that the tone termination panel you select is capable of four-wire operation. Some are two-wire only. Using 600 ohm 1:1 isolation transformers on both pairs at the computer end is not a bad idea.

From the tone termination panel to the radio, you will need a PTT line, a TX audio line, an RX audio line, and a common or ground connection. How you connect these is going to depend on the radio you use and the termination panel you have. Some termination panels have prefab cables available to plug right into certain radio models. You may also have to do some programming in the radio to set it up for remote operation.

Once you have all the physical connections made and verified, the last step is to set the line levels. Typically you want your TX audio from the console (computer) to the termination panel to be at -10dBm, and the RX output from the panel back to the console (computer) at 0 dBm. RX levels generally aren't a problem, but too low a TX level and the radio will not key reliably or at all. Too high and the TX audio may overdrive and distort. The tone panel instructions will tell you how to test and set the levels.

I've been thinking about getting the ComTekk software and putting it on my laptop to use as a test set at work instead of lugging a tone remote around with me. Let me know how you like it once you get it working

paramedszaf

First thing you're going to need is a four-wire phone line from the computer to the termination panel. You need one pair for TX audio/control tones and one pair to get the receive audio from the radio back to the computer. Thus, you need to make sure that the tone termination panel you select is capable of four-wire operation. Some are two-wire only. Using 600 ohm 1:1 isolation transformers on both pairs at the computer end is not a bad idea.

Cat 5 ok? What type of connection to the computer? Serial?

From the tone termination panel to the radio, you will need a PTT line, a TX audio line, an RX audio line, and a common or ground connection. How you connect these is going to depend on the radio you use and the termination panel you have. Some termination panels have prefab cables available to plug right into certain radio models. You may also have to do some programming in the radio to set it up for remote operation.

Probably a CDM1550, can the radio be set up for every day use with a desk mic then hooked up when needed? I also have 2 M1225's as well is needed [/QUOTE]

Anyone have pics?

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
More Remote Stuff

Cat-5 cable is fine.

Your connection to the computer is strictly through the audio I/O jacks. The Com-Tekk software generates the control tones and sends them down the TX pair to the termination panel. In a sense, your PTT operation is like VOX operation because the tone panel hears the tones and provides the PTT to the radio.

Connecting to a CDM radio should be a breeze. You can use the accessory jack on the back of the radio to make your connections to the termination panel. Again, depending on the termination panel, you might find a cable already built that you can just plug in. There is also an Accessory Plug Kit that you can get from your local Motorola shop, or I've seen them on Ebay as well. You can connect a desk mic and use it normally; you don't need to unplug the tone panel from it. It will work just fine. The 1225 should work equally well. The accessory connector pinouts might even be the same....I'd have to check my manuals to verify that.

Just as an aside, be aware that the rule of thumb is no more than 250-300 feet for tone remote control (between the console/computer and the radio) regardless of what type of cable you use to connect them.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.