• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nmo mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
Hey I was wondering if a standard 3/4 inch hole saw will work for my nmo mount, or will the diameter of the bit make the hole to big. Any suggestions will be apreciated.

W6KRU

Hey I was wondering if a standard 3/4 inch hole saw will work for my nmo mount, or will the diameter of the bit make the hole to big. Any suggestions will be apreciated.

Do you or anyone you know have a unibit aka step-drill. That would be a better choice.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Dont use a 3/4 hole saw.. Its too large. The mount will not fit securely. I dont use a step drill bit I use the antenna hole saw . If you have to use a step bit drill only til the mount fits securely and install the cable from the hole into the car not from the mount up through the hole.

DieselFF918

When I installed my NMO dual band my truck antenna on my truck, I used a standard 3/4 hole saw. Been over a year havent had a single problem with it.

wise871

Database Admin
As a TalonIILM said, we used a step drill and the holes were perfect. The NMO fit nice and snug.

K

kb0nly

I like using a Unibit, or step drill as its also commonly called. The nice thing about using one is you can debur both sides of the hole with it also. I usually pull down the dome light in the center of the roof and use a shop vac in one hand and the drill in the other and just drill up through the roof and vacuum up all the shavings at the same time.

If you do it from the top use compressed air to blow away all the filings to keep from scratching the surrounding paint.

Taloniilm

I used blue masking tape to avoid scratches and drilled a pilot hole prior to deploying the step drill ...de-burring and final hole sizing was acomplished with the Dremel

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 3,410

tekshogun

I used blue masking tape to avoid scratches and drilled a pilot hole prior to deploying the step drill ...de-burring and final hole sizing was acomplished with the Dremel

Good idea. That's a lot of tape though, but when you want to be careful not to mess up the finish and body, you should do it right. Of course we are talking about drilling a hole into your car. . . .

jim202

Let me ask a simple question here.

If the NMO mount requires a 3/4 hole in the sheet metal, how can a 3/4 inch hole saw be too large?
Maybe my school math taught me some strange back woods way of measuring, but a 3/4 hole saw
makes a 3/4 inch hole. If the NMO mount requires a 3/4 inch hole, the normal person would think
that these 2 would be a match.

After drilling holes in vehicle roofs for well over 40 years now, I must be missing something here.
In some cases, it is hard to get the NMO mounts in if your limited in height or depth below the
surface. A second source of an install issue is when the sheet metal is thicker than the normal
roof.

I still would like you to elaborate on just how a 3/4 inch hole saw is the wrong size. I am loosing
sleep over this. I am wondering just how many NMO mounts that I have installed over the years
that are not installed correctly.

My real choice is to use a hole saw that has been modified to have a ridge welded to it to prevent
you from slipping and going too deep and getting the head liner. Larson even use sell a special
hole saw with a replaceable blade to make the 3/4 inch hole.

Please let the group know just what the problem is when using a 3/4 hole saw.

Jim

Dont use a 3/4 hole saw.. Its too large. The mount will not fit securely. I dont use a step drill bit I use the antenna hole saw . If you have to use a step bit drill only til the mount fits securely and install the cable from the hole into the car not from the mount up through the hole.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Jim, it depends on the skill and carefulness of the operator. If a 3/4" hole saw works for you, that's great!

My experience with hardware-store hole saws in sheet metal is that they tend to wobble around and you end up with a hole that's larger in diameter than the saw. On the other hand, I've had great success with a Unibit step drill. I put 10 NMO mounts on the roof of a Ford Expedition with an Irwin Unibit and was very pleased with the result.

The hole saws that the antenna manufacturers (Larsen, Antenex, Maxrad, Comtelco) sell for installing NMO mounts have thinner blades and finer teeth than hardware-store hole saws. Also, these NMO mount hole saws have shorter blades which I think gives the blade more stability and, therefore, result in more precise holes.

K

kb0nly

Also the antenna hole saws sold as such are made to go through the thickness of the roof and not much more so it doesn't hit the headliner, but yes, good explanation as i was just about to post the same response.

That's why i like using the unibit instead of a hole saw, less chance of wandering and wallowing out the hole size.

dapaq2

Guys,

I use an antenna hole saw from a company called Ripley out of Cromwell, CT. A very nice saw and even comes with replacement blades.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4975.jpg
    IMG_4975.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,712
  • IMG_4976.jpg
    IMG_4976.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3,129

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I have probably read 50 different posts on many sites about drilling holes for an NMO mount. The best idea seems to be to purchase a drill specifically for the job. So, I bought one.

Here is my question; how come a 3/4" hole is too small for an NMO? I have 2 different NMO cables, one is Antennex and the other is one I got from HRO (Hustler?) and both of them are 1/16" larger than 3/4".

I used my brand new Antennex HS34 to drill a hole through an old cookie sheet. I measured with my tape measure and it is 3/4". The NMO is 13/16" (That is 3/4" + 1/16") and does not fit.

The Antennex cable came with the "fender" bracket and I measured it, 13/16".

I really don't want to have to Dremmel that extra 1/16" on the roof of my vehicle.....

What the heck did I miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.