• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Did I kill my mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor05121

Hey guys- I have a Yaesu FT-2400 mounted in my truck for VFD work and yesterday I spent the evening cleaning out my trucks interior. Well I guess I left the key on the "ACC" position for too long and my battery was too drained to start the truck hours later. The few times I turned it over the voltage dropped and everything electrical was shutting off (when I tried to start the truck) and coming back on (when I stopped and waited for the battery charger) and I dunno what happened but soon after I got the truck started I noticed my radio has gone haywire. All the LCD indicators are all lit (TX/RX/Busy/Quad "8888" for the channels, etc) and it wont turn off/on unless I disconnect it via the 15A fuse. It is hard-wired and permanently mounted into the cigar lighter fuse box. Any help?

Last edited:

code3cowboy

Sure, ham radios are for ham stuff, not public safety stuff. 47 CFR 95

A factory reset should do the job. Did you pull power from the radio before jumping your truck?

n8emr

I agree reset the radio. Also DONT use it for VFD duties its not legal.

z88crazy

It is not illegal to use the radio for VFD duties as long as authorized be the chief or communications director, and when transmitting on the fire band frequencies used for official use. I have a mobile radio mounted in my POV that was issued to me by my department. I see no reason that he cannot use the radio if it has been approved through his chief.

N

N_Jay

It is not illegal to use the radio for VFD duties as long as authorized be the chief or communications director, and when transmitting on the fire band frequencies used for official use. I have a mobile radio mounted in my POV that was issued to me by my department. I see no reason that he cannot use the radio if it has been approved through his chief.

Yes it is illegal, since it is NOT a part-90 approved radio, (it is a ham radio) it is illegal to use it on ANY Part-90 frequencies.

Part-90 is the section of the FCC rules that define the Commercial and public safety Land Mobile Radio service.

However, you are correct that a personally owned radio ALSO requires the permission of the license or an authorized representative. Additionally, the licensee much assure that the radio is appropriate for the service, and that the license covers the radios use (area of operation, power output, and total number of allowed units)

NOTE:
Some people like to call anyone pointing out these issues "Self Appointed Radio Police", but those individuals don't grasp that there are many people like yourself who make honest mistakes because they have never been informed of the issues involved.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber

Dont use it if not FCC cert. Big and I mean big fines for the company or agency using non part-90 approved radios.
Its one of the things FCC dont take lightly.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber

Wow, you might wanna brush up on Part 90! :D

n8emr

While your chief can allow or deny the use of a radio by his volunteers, Any radio he Authorizes must still meet FCC type acceptance for the band its used on. The ham radio are ONLY legal on the ham radio bands.

elk2370bruce

This give new meaning in the term "amateur" in the false assumptions that people have with regard to FCC type accepted. Never ASSUME (we all know what that means) begin by READING.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Don't forget that an "amateur" CAN broadcast with a amateur radio on a police frequency in mater of life and death. I guess after they use their radio to illegally broadcast on an non 90, they would have to turn in their license?

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget that an "amateur" CAN broadcast with a amateur radio on a police frequency in mater of life and death. I guess after they use their radio to illegally broadcast on an non 90, they would have to turn in their license?

I have always wondered about that. I have a Icom HT with the local PD/FD/EMS on RX only. More then likely I would call 911.

I interpret it as say your scanning the HF band and you hear some guy calling for help on an HF Marine Channel, you could answer him.

But then the same would apply for VHF/UHF.

However I wouldn't count on making friends with the police if you transmit on their frequency that you need help (any life or death example). The Police will then respond hopefully take care of the situation and you would have some explaining to do. The police then would probably blame you for every open mic, etc.

The law says it could work, but I would never, ever try it in practice.

Who knows where the police will pop up, some radio techs might have old frequencies that haven't been used in years in the radios. So Officer Bob might be on an old frequency not monitored by anyone calling for help?

What would you do:

A. Call 911 and say that officer your looking for is here. Risk the chance that they won't listen to you

B. Answer the police officer on that frequency that is rarely used because its been a few times he has called for help and no one has answered.

I think it would depend on the situation.

Most good public safety radios are set-up so the Dispatch Frequency is always Channel 1 in every bank.

N

N_Jay

Been discussed!:roll:

N

N_Jay

The law has the exception to prevent the issues where a life is lost just because of the law.

Of course it is not an excuse for stupidity. (except maybe in mike's world)

Status
Not open for further replies.