• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power mess... too many wall warts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I just recently acquired 2 more scanners. All work fine except now I'm faced with a unsightly and potentaly dangerous mess of cords and wallwarts. I have 3 power strips coming out of 3 seperate outlets and all are full to the max. Between 4 PC'c, 6 monitors, 5 base scanners, and a large shortwave receiver (Grundig 800) I am wondering if there might be a better way to manage my power. I also cant help but think that all these wires touching and crossing each other might be having an effect on performance of my rigs. Any suggestions?

N

N_Jay

The wires touching is no issue at all, crossing is less.

Get an 4 to 6 foot industrial outlet strip with all the outlets you need, or put together a few quad boxes.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I recently saw a post where someone was using and highly recommended using a device ( I cant think of the name of it) that was a strip that you could plug multiple radios into using the red and black wires (typically used for auto install. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
The thing i was talking about in my post above is called a RigRunner. So I have narrowed it down to two options. I either buy a RigRunner or a 12v Power supply. They both will run me in the neighborhood of $150.00

Does the RigRunner run from a wall outlet, or does it need a Power supply? If I get just the power supply, can I run all 6 scanners from that one supply?

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I have a rigrunner and I love it.! It does not come with a power supply. I use mine for powering 5 motorola radios in "scanner mode" (receive only) with a 15 amp power supply - Thats more than enough power for receiving only. Scanners use very little power, around .5-1.0 amps i think. I would say a 10 amp supply would be more than enough for 5 scanners.

The only thing with a rigrunner is that they use Anderson Powerpoles for the connections, I love them, some people don't. They take a bit to get used to but they keep everything neat and safe. You would have to make your own wire/connections from your scanner (hardwire) from the scanner to the rigrunner but I'd say thats the only way to go if you really wanna get rid of the "wall-warts".

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alex

n8emr

If the voltage for all your wall warts is the same then get a power supply and power the radio from one power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.