• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ford Taurus X install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve162

Premium Subscriber
I have an amateur radio mobile (Yaesu FT 8800) that I want to install in my 2008 Ford Taurus X. For those unfamiliar, this is what Ford originally called the Freestyle but with a bigger engine and six-speed transmission. Because of the different drive train I'm not sure if access to the engine compartment is the same as the Freestyle.

I need to run power to the battery, but if that proves too difficult I'd consider taking power from one of the 12-volt power points in the center console- I just need a tip on how to access this.

Antenna is a Diamond roof rack mount that I'll run into the back door to the radio chassis under the seat. I've decided to put the control head on the console just in front of the shifter.

Any hints gladly accepted, here, or at KA2BQJ@aol.com

Thanks! 73

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Steve- Hopefully someone with experience in the Taurus X will reply regarding the 12v lines in the console. I've had good luck with fuseblock taps/clips, but ONLY for receivers and low power transmitters. Since you're going to be transmitting and pulling significant current (more than a couple amps), you want to go to the battery directly if at all possible. In addition to ensuring proper DC power, it makes it simpler to troubleshoot interference issues should they arise. A single run to the battery with a known path is simpler to filter, add toroid chokes, move away from inductive interference, etc. if needed. Look for rubber or plastic grommets/nipples in the firewall. Look from the engine side. They are simpler to locate initially if you are not upside down in the car with your head under a dark dashboard. Many auto manufacturers put empty (no other cables/wires) holes in the firewall for just this purpose. They are plugged with grommets or nipples that can be cut or punched through to run your DC line. Obviously, fuse everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.