• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What do you think would be the 4 best things to have in a Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

smqkeman

Please list your reply up to 4 items that you think are the best to have in your center console

1 switch bank
2 Ham ( not sure what is the best one to have )
3 Scanner ( not sure what is the best one to have )
4 CB Uniden Pro 510XL

In mine, I have a Uniden BCT 8 and an older Realistic CB in the console, a Motorola SP50 in charger base inside the console (not visible until I lift the cover), and my switches (3 separate) by the edge of the steering column under the dash

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A S&W model 5906 and 2 full mags! Also your ccw card of course!
N9ZAS

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The challenge in picking an amateur radio transceiver to use in your vehicle is deciding what bands you want to talk on. Since I do storm spotting and public service work, HF mobile doesn't hold great interest for me. I've focused my set-up on VHF/UHF amateur bands plus APRS. Your needs may be entirely different.

As for the other items, a scanner would seem to be a must, but the choice depends on what type of scanner you need for your area.

What do you plan to switch with the switches in the switch bank? Think those needs out very carefully.

As for CB, I've listened a few times while on trips, but I just don't feel that it's worth the bother. Depending on your scanner choice, you may get adequate CB receive capability with the scanner. Or, if you decide to go with an HF amateur radio, you'll also get CB receive capability. But, if you plan to talk on CB, you'll have to make room for a dedicated CB radio if you plan to stay legal.

smqkeman

The challenge in picking an amateur radio transceiver to use in your vehicle is deciding what bands you want to talk on. Since I do storm spotting and public service work, HF mobile doesn't hold great interest for me. I've focused my set-up on VHF/UHF amateur bands plus APRS. Your needs may be entirely different.

As for the other items, a scanner would seem to be a must.

What do you plan to switch with the switches in the switch bank?

As for CB,

AMATEUR RADIO
i am not licensed as of yet.. im tiring to study so i can get it... :) im not really sure as to the diff between HF/VHF/UHF on the ham radios as of yet but im sure i learn.. im not looking to get tooo serious into it just to play around and make contact with people.. im not sure as to the potential of the systems yet.. but as to what your saying is that with a ham radio you can listen to anything ?? CB, AIR...etc ...more of less the armature band, i guess

SCANNER
I was looking at RADIO SHACK PRO-160 1000 CH TRIP TRUNK PROGRAM SCANNER not sure how this rates with you guys but it looks like its hard to program.. not sure if you can use the computer to load information into it or not...

SWITCH's
1 Front Fog lights
2 corner strobe lights
3 back warning bar
4 power to radio's
5 headlight wigwag
6 inverter on/off

CB
i have a UNIDEN PRO-510XL that has been chipped and outperforms the big rigs that guys have in their vehicles .. it was some old guy in town here "BOPPER" who i got it from and who performed the work on it.. ive had it now for 8 years or so and still running strong.

jparks29

John McClane
Everyones needs are different.... There is no 'best setup'

It's like asking what the best gun is..... depends on what you're using it for...

n8emr

AMATEUR RADIO

SCANNER

SWITCH's
1 Front Fog lights
2 corner strobe lights
3 back warning bar
4 power to radio's
5 headlight wigwag
6 inverter on/off

CB
i have a UNIDEN PRO-510XL that has been chipped and outperforms the big rigs that guys have in their vehicles ..

I think Figuring out why you need this stuff and what your planning on doing with it will help. Best ham radio will be determined by where you are and who you want to talk to and how you plan on using the radio. The best scanner will be determined by who you want to listen to, If you want to listen to digital trunking your choices are pretty limited. If traditional uhf/vhf then most any will work.

As for the switches, the strobes, wigwag and warning bar are illegal in most states unless your public safety and none of the radio's suggest that you are.

I think you need to defined what your goal is. Is it to look like a police car? If so then DONT get a ham radio license we dont want the press when your arrested.

Also the UNIDEN PRO-510XL is pretty much a bottom of the line CB and not a popular one to "chip" and is usually not the one that will outperform anything. Sounds like bopper is in the shinola business

seriously figure out what your trying to do, then come back with your questions.

smqkeman

I think Figuring out why you need this stuff and what your planning on doing with it will help. Best ham radio will be determined by where you are and who you want to talk to and how you plan on using the radio. The best scanner will be determined by who you want to listen to, If you want to listen to digital trunking your choices are pretty limited. If traditional uhf/vhf then most any will work.

As for the switches, the strobes, wigwag and warning bar are illegal in most states unless your public safety and none of the radio's suggest that you are.

I think you need to defined what your goal is. Is it to look like a police car? If so then DONT get a ham radio license we dont want the press when your arrested.

Also the UNIDEN PRO-510XL is pretty much a bottom of the line CB and not a popular one to "chip" and is usually not the one that will outperform anything. Sounds like bopper is in the shinola business

seriously figure out what your trying to do, then come back with your questions.

For the lights on my truck...... im a qualified/registered EMR and needed a little extra light on my truck depending on location that i may stop with my personal vehicle. LOL im not pretending to be anyone but myself ! im not a 20 kid wanting to look like the cops and pull people over as my moral ethics are way higher than that. and just to add in finishing Police College in a few months so thats another one to add to the list.... hopefully that clears my name from a quick assumption of "no good" but i understand where your coming from. we have a few guys in town here that have picked up used police service cars and flip the rims back to look like a service vehicle and put dummy antennas back on the trunk bla bla bla and just love to ride people ass while driving.... i ended that one day while in traffic while he was behind me ! what a punk ! but who am i to change a kids mind, i just reminded him as to the fact that he could be charged with impersonating a police officer and end up in the slammer if anyone calls 911 on him ! lol i think he pooped his pants right there... anyway back to the topic at hand..

and the CB.. you would be surprised as to the distance i can talk.. i have allways bee accused as to running heat with it.. but it just may be the the set-up and no higher than 2 on the swr from 1 to 40..

the scanner, im hopeing that the RADIO SHACK PRO-160 wil allow me to pick up local dig trunk with the police here.. thats pretty much all i want with it.. what ever else comes in then ill be happy ! :)

Ham, i was looking at just DX'ing Local with the other entry guys ! nothing serious as i understand that if you want to talk big you have to be big in the set-up.. so i understand my limitations, i run on the under promises and over deliver.. so if im able to dx local and monitor a little further away ill be happy !

i hope that this has cleared a few things up and thank-you for the help as i know that the topic has gotten a little of topic !

n8emr

For the lights on my truck...... im a qualified/registered EMR
and needed a little extra light on my truck depending on location that i may stop with my personal vehicle. LOL im not pretending to be anyone but myself !
[/quote]
Being qualified and even registered doesnt by default allow you to run the lights. You would need to refer to your state laws. They vary and often put the control on written approval from the LEO/public safety officer.

and the CB.. you would be surprised as to the distance i can talk.. i have allways bee accused as to running heat with it.. but it just may be the the set-up and no higher than 2 on the swr from 1 to 40..
By saying chipped I assumed its moded and that inself make the radio not legal regardless of the use.

the scanner, im hopeing that the RADIO SHACK PRO-160 wil allow me to pick up local dig trunk with the police here.. thats pretty much all i want with it.. what ever else comes in then ill be happy ! :)
Sounds like you have researched the scanner needed for the frequency's you need to cover.

Ham, i was looking at just DX'ing Local with the other entry guys ! nothing serious as i understand that if you want to talk big you have to be big in the set-up.. so i understand my limitations, i run on the under promises and over deliver.. so if im able to dx local and monitor a little further away ill be happy !
DX is distant stations. If you need local comms then uHF/VHF is the best route to go.

smqkeman

Great Information.. and with the Light on the Truck.. they are not intended to be used while Running to a call.. i do not use my truck for medical emergencies or to run to a call.. but if i come across a incident then while only parked then will activate the lights as a form of my safety while attending the situation.. understanding that the location that i live and travel is dark, no street lights and a wack load of curvie bends that people do not care to follow the speed limit and think that they just hopped into a nascar.. so if im going to aid a person i want to make sure that my ass is covered.... thus using my vehicle as a safe lane.. i have been approached by many officers at a scene that i have come across along with a vehicle in the ditch etc that i have parked activated the lights, assessed the situation called it in and reported to dispatch my location and that my vehicle has activated amber lights on the rear.. i dont know how many thank-you's ive had from that !

thus just to add colour here in Canada is wayyy different that you in the USA.. as we are ok to display amber, white and green. not red, not blue, etc.....

just like the strobe lights, all the import cars and stereo cars and tricked out cars that have them do not mean that they run with them on, as it is a criminal offense, but while they are parked they can use them.. the traffic act states that while running or driving you are not permitted to run any lighting that may in any way look like a service vehicle.. but when its parked its fair game..

hope you all have a great weekend !

bama9999

The Pro-160 won't work for that. It doesn't receive digital. If you want to stay with a Radio Shack mobile, you'll want a Pro-197, which does receive digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.