• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Making a remote head for a Uniden 120XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
I have a 120XLT Scanner that i simply use to monitor a few local freqs when in the car. What i plan to do is take my Uniden 120XLT and split it into two separate units, both will be contained inside little project enclosures. One will contain the screen, volume knob and squelch knob, and potentially a flick switch to toggle between SCAN and HOLD. The other will contain all the main working components that actually receive the audio along with the key pad to allow me to program it. The smaller box (The control head) as such will sit up near the dash board while the main unit is hidden elsewhere.

Will be starting this time next week so will keep you updated...

Last edited:

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Interested in seeing how this pans out, and of course the photos of it all

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Got bored today so went out and bought the enclosure. The enclosure i bought can be seen here Mini ABS Instrument Case - Jaycar Electronics on the gray front face i have installed a flick switch which will act as a power on/off and next to that i have put a 3.5mm Stereo jack for if i want to use headphones. On the other side i have put a little red LED light simply because every DIY project must have one lol it will simply light up when the unit is on.

I have decided that if i take out the battery pack and simply run it off power in the car i can install all the scanner components inside the casing. This will include the keypad which will most likely be installed inside (Meaning you have to take the top off to access it, however i very rarely ever use it anyway as this will likely just stick on 1 or 2 local frequencies)

i will install the screen later in the week along with volume and squelch knobs. The antenna connection, power input and air vents will be located on the back face.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify the enclosure i bought for now is mainly for testing purposes, i will set it all up in this one as neat as possible but once its done i will try and make it smaller.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Did a bit of wiring today. On the back of the project box i put a power input, wired that in a basic circuit to a switch, then to a red mini globe, then to some dead end wires that will connect to the scanner parts. All seems to be going well, will know if it will work tomorow when i do a quick test on hooking it all up.

wackywaves

Any updates on the finished product? pictures?

I'm thinking about attempting something like this any any advice would be alot of help!?!?

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Haven't had a chance to complete it yet, used a piss poor soldering iron and stuffed a few things so am looking for a second scanner to combine both, might try knock some more over soon, just awaiting a bargain scanner lol

Status
Not open for further replies.