• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2004 Ford Explorer SportTrac Custom Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

smqkeman

i decided to go ahead and make my own center console.. here are a few pictures to get it started.. ill post more as the progress continues.....

NewCenterConsole3.jpg

NewCenterConsole1.jpg

NewCenterConsole2.jpg

NewCenterConsole4.jpg

NewCenterConsole6.jpg

NewCenterConsole7.jpg

NewCenterConsole5.jpg

dsmiley

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how well the material will hold up??

Sorry...couldn't resist....

That's a good idea to make a template first...what's the final material??

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Paint it black and you're on your way,lol!
Sorry,I had to.
N9ZAS

smqkeman

LOL !!

I picked up 3/4" MDF yesterday and cut it all up ! my eyes still hurt from all the dust !

i have LP'ed them and brad nailed it all together and is just curing ..

when its dry ill bring it outside when it stops raining and shot a few pics...

from here im going to cut a few things out, then when its all ready im going to Line-X it.. and then install...

w2smw

console for 04 explorer

I think your idea is great, I may have done the same thing if I had the time and resources to do it. I picked up a used Jotto desk console and took the easy way out. Good luck with your instal as I am partial to the 04 explorer as that is what I am driving as my pov.

smqkeman

more pictures on the way.... got everything sanded, and fitted.. just have to make the cup holders as i left this till last to make sure i have room.. lol gotta have the Star Bucks !

now looking for sizes on the Pro-197 as i know that it will be the largest of the 3 radios..

posting pictures in 2 hrs... or so

smqkeman

this is a test fit shot.. before i start to cut holes :)
newpicturesmonday1.jpg

back tailgate workshop
the big hole is going to be covered by a plate system that i have to make next :)
the lower cutout is for the fan controller
newpicturesmonday2.jpg

this is the fan controller, it displays 2 temps from a sensor.. hummmm now you guys are thinking :) yes im going to stick it on the back of each radio and monitor the temp.. while the 2 dials are for the fan RPM control.. the unit displays temp x2 and rmp x2 all for $12.00
newpicturesmonday3.jpg

picture of one off the 2 fans
newpicturesmonday4.jpg

back tailgate workshop again ! lol you can see the front console that has the 2 vutouts, and the 2 fans.. i think its looking good.. all thats left is to drill a few holes for a few wires and were off to paint..

the back console, the lower layout is for another plate system for 10 switches... the 2 upper layouts are for our 2 iphones. this way you can slide them into the holder and charge them while keeping them out of the way !!!
newpicturesmonday5.jpg

smqkeman

huh, no reply posts.... is it worth my time to photo bucket all the picture and post them and get no reply's

ill post a final picture when its done and discontinue the pictures of the steps i take. but im sure that at the end ill get " cool how did you do that !?! "

LOL

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Nice work! You mentioned painting it, but do you think it might be more durable to carpet the outside? At least it won't scratch like paint. Either way, nice work! can't wait to see the final product!

firetaz834

Question for you, it looks great so far and I enjoy seeing the in-progress photos. But, why did you decide on doing this in wood instead of going out and getting a standard jotto-desk or some other company metal console? The reason for the question is I'm curous on how do you plan on upgrading if things change. I know with metal you can jut purchase a new bracket for a metal console, but with wood once you cut the hold (then your kind of stuck if the next item is smaller in size)

rcvmo

my eyes still hurt from all the dust !

No eye protection?
You could've very well ended up like me this weekend with a nice eye patch after running antenna cable in a dusty environment. Luckily only minor scratches on the cornea, but enough to make me want to wear eye protection after this close call. A little early in the season to play pirate. :):):)
Otherwise, looks like a really nice console.
stay safe.
rcvmo

smqkeman

Hey all, sorry for the delay, Police College is killing me ! LOL im going to post a few pictures up tongiht when i get back... i Line-x 'ed the console to give it a better look and withstand anything i put to it...

its looking great if i pat my own back ! the reason that i did this to to save me cash from getting a jotto desk at a whopping price that they sell it for.... and this way with me desiging it and making it myself that i get what i want in the console... as everyone has different needs.

i just installed the fan controllers today :) and a temp cafe cup holder lol

the way i have designed it i am using steel plates to mount my radios when i get them... LOL and ill be painting them to match the rest of the stuff i painted silver in the truck. this way it all flows....

as the carpet is rubber in the sporttrac so thats the reason the center console is Line-x 'ed the plates will be silver to match the int colour and the dash components that i have....

other than that i have not run into any problems as of yet but it just taking a little longer for me to get it to where i want today... due to not havign a garage and dealing with the rain and the cole weather waiting for the glue to dry has been the biggest waste of time... and due to the dust inthe eyes.. well cutting MDF outside in the wind regardless of having glasses on the wind will take that mdf and blow it 3 blocks down and get into their eyes also LOL

one note to make as per the Line-X..... if you have a slot or hole thats to size and the line-x gets into it.. which it will well then you are going to have a problem fitting the unit or what ever your putting in it will now not fit... regardless how much you tape off the area or pre-prep the area not to get sprayed well im going to tell you that on a small pcs like this the line-x is going to get into it.. now today i tried to put the fan controller in it and it was a no go.. i tried a knife, a chain saw LOL everthing and would not get the line-x out of the area.. i ended up pulling the gig-sa back out with a wood corse blade on it and this was the only way to get it cleaned back up .... nedless to say i got it cleaned up and now the parts fit ! :)

ill post pictures up of the current step that im at ! hope you all enjoy the pictuers

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Great job so far!! Great idea with the computer temp controller to monitor the heat where you are mounting your radios, I wuold never had though of doing that.

smqkeman

ok sorry for delay

this is the console getting Line-X 'ed

CenterConsoleSpray2.jpg

CenterConsoleSpray3.jpg

CenterConsoleSpray4.jpg

CenterConsoleSpray5.jpg

This is a test fit for the console

CenterConsoleSpray6.jpg

CenterConsoleSpray7.jpg

the Fan Grills are installed along with extra Light that will have a Red Bulb for night time operation :)

CenterConsoleSpray8.jpg

CenterConsoleSpray.jpg

and a close up of the Fan controller installed

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Nice so far. I appreciate the fact you took out the front seat so you could show us an unobstructed view of the install!! LOL Just joking, good luck with the mounting!

Status
Not open for further replies.