• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2007 Tahoe and Onstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert721

I am sure I have found the Onstar unit under the radio center console but I can not get the connectors off. There is a plastic connectors at the end of the coax. I do not have Onstar and plan to use the 800 antenna on a 996xt. Anyone tried this before?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't blame you for not wanting to use onscam! You should be able to cut the antenna line and install a bnc for your 996xt. Good idea BTW.
N9ZAS

torrespi

Good ideal ..If it is like my Onstar antenna..( Glass used as conductor ) they are not so hot on tranmit and receive ! ...

I would investigate the power and spec's of what you have on that antenna ( Google it !) and then look at your rig specs as far as power settings and etc !

Good luck...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good ideal ..If it is like my Onstar antenna..( Glass used as conductor ) they are not so hot on tranmit and receive ! ...

I would investigate the power and spec's of what you have on that antenna ( Google it !) and then look at your rig specs as far as power settings and etc !

Good luck...

You might re-read the op's post. He's not using the antenna to transmit. It's for his 996xt uniden scanner.
N9ZAS

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
My OnStar unit (04 TrailBlazer LT) has some plastic tabs attaching the cable to the unit, plus the usual SMA (I think) connector.

MPFD535

Careful right under the console is the air bag control module, just a heads up if your under there, Is your onstar antenna the on glass or the little stubby roof mount, I have the roof mount one and would love to try that for my scanner

Robert721

My Onstar is on the roof left side. It looks like the box is on the bottom of the radio and Ac stack in the center. Next problem is figuring out how to program the radio with Proscan and the Radio Ref site.

mobile1

I am sure I have found the Onstar unit under the radio center console but I can not get the connectors off. There is a plastic connectors at the end of the coax. I do not have Onstar and plan to use the 800 antenna on a 996xt. Anyone tried this before?

The plastic connectors have a small ribbed tab that you push in to remove them. The purple one is for the phone and the blue one is for the GPS. You can not unplug the other connector from the OnStar without the check engine, ABS and other lights coming on and staying on. Also you should remove the fuse for the OnStar unit first. I have hooked up a Uniden scanner to an OnStar antenna so I know this works.

Robert721

They must have a special tool to use on them. I have pushed in toward the box, down on them and I can't get it to move. Killing my fingers!

mikepdx

Excellent idea Robert721

maybe these sites could help:

Hacking OnStar

and

Tap into OnStar

If you still can't get it, there are several forums around
with folks glad to answer questions about "unconventional"
uses of OnStar, including the dismantling and removal of them-

Good luck.

Last edited:

mobile1

Still can't get the antenna connection loose. So tempted to cut it and install my own connector!!!

If you want more information on this connector just do a Google search for: FAKRA connector purple/blue

N2JDS

While you're hacking at OnStar, figure out how to exploit the GPS that might be in there too. I've also seen post in other places where people have used the GPS for their own systems, would be cool with the 996XT. Also, some have been able to in the past, hook their own phone up to OnStar to use the handfree feature, but that was in the past, may not be able to do now days. Send updates and pics when done, as well as a step by step how to, so we can learn from your hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.