• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Dodge ram setup so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernut09

Ok here is my setup so far, what does everyone think? I am going to have the cb, scanner, and even my ham radio put in professionally by a guy here in town. Any thought were i put them? The cubby hole are to small for the cb and scanner but my be big enough for the ham radio. I got a tool box that i am going to put back on this spring that has the cb antennas on it already. Any good places on were to run the coax cables for the cb, scanner, and ham radio? Thanks for the input!!
101_2773.jpg

101_2774.jpg

101_2775.jpg

101_2776.jpg

101_2777.jpg

ve1sef

looks like you scanner woud fit a din-sleeve. have you tried removing the outer shell?
might slip in the hole under the radio.
alternative might be picking up a secondhand dash/brizzle and custom fitting the holes
to accommidate the scanner. what i did for the my interpid.
i agree i think a 2meter radio could fit one of those spots,

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
A DIN sleeve is the size of your car's AM / FM radio, the width, height and depth of the radio. A standard DIN sleeve would be like buying a new regular size Alpine or Kenwood radio for the car. If you look at some stock Ford, Dodge and Chevy radios, the majority of them are called "Double DIN" (think of putting two car stereos on top of each other in the same hole.

Many newer scanners are now made for DIN sizing so you could replace the factory AM/FM radio with the scanner in the same slot. If you were to remove the scanner's cover, the frame of the scanner should be about the same size as an aftermarket AM/FM radio.

Looking at the picture you have up, I think ve1sef was looking at the storage hole under your AM/FM radio but it is too small for a scanner to fit in there with the cover off. I already tried it with a friend's Dodge with a Uniden 996T and it would not fit there.

ve1sef

i was referring to the space under the am/fm. when i purchased the second hand brizzle for my car,
i did have to custom the hole a bit to accomodate the din-sleeve.

Attachments

• 04 Interpid 10-2008.jpg
    04 Interpid 10-2008.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,259
Last edited:

scannernut09

Well i got the outer shell off, but the scanner is still way to big. Could you tell me more about a hand brizzle? Cause now i have no idea what to do.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
The factory Dodge radio you have is din+1/2.

I did this on my '06 and have since done it on my '08.... I ordered the factory NAV bezel from Dodge, this gives you a double din size radio opening. I the removed the factory radio and installed an aftermarket single din radio. I used a slightly modified double din installation kit from Crutchfield to sandwich the BC-996 and my aftermarket radios together in the double din dash opening. I'll see if I can dig up some pics to post, later.

For my ham radio(yaesu 7800 or the Kenwood 710), I mounted the body of the radio under the back seat(quad-cab) and the control head on the plastic piece just above the ash tray/cup holders.

I tried the vertical position similar to how yours is pictured and never could get used to it. Too hard to see the screen and seemed like dust always collected right on the face. Also didn't like lifting soda or coffee right over the radio all the time.

jeff s.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
ok here's the pics from my install

sorry for the delay, work slowed me down a little. Anyway, the speaker shown is for the scanner, I have a separate smaller one(non-amplified) mounted in the corner of the dash for my ham radio. The small deluo gps is used for the 996 and for my kenwood 710 for aprs, when it's installed in the truck.

Attachments

• gps2_edited-1.jpg
    gps2_edited-1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,184
  • radio_scanner_edited-1.jpg
    radio_scanner_edited-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 10,914
  • yaesu (2)_edited-1.jpg
    yaesu (2)_edited-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 12,611

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah, the trim ring that goes around the radio was installed on the '06. Somewhere between the removal from the '06 and the reinstall in the '08 it got lost. I'm working on getting a replacement for it, though.

jeff.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Looking very good thus far, any pics of your antenna set up?

spatch315

This is my 08 ram The only problem is I do not have cup holders in the front.. If you put the wedge close to the seat you might be able to still use them

Attachments

• above.jpg
    above.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 8,308
  • driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,453
  • pass.jpg
    pass.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,466
Status
Not open for further replies.