• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2011 Ford Ranger - Install Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3KGD

Hey guys,

I'm going to soon retire my 97 Ford Explorer and purchase a 2011 Ford Ranger.

Here's the equipment that's going in:

1) Kenwood TM-V71A
2) Uniden Bearcat BCT15X
3) Uniden Pro 510XL (CB)

There will be three magnet mount antennas that will be evenly spaced out on the roof. The longest antenna (believe it or not - its my Kenwood) will be in the center, the Wilson on the left, and the scanner on the right.

I'm wondering if there are any organizing consoles for the Ranger, similar to JottoDesk. I don't see any premade for the Ranger series.

With my present setup in the Explorer, my Kenwood is mounted in the center of the top dashboard and my CB is safely mounted on the lower dash above the Emergency Brake release switch. The scanner is a new addition in the Ranger.

I can use this same layout in the Ranger, but I'd like to have a little nicer organization.

Can someone guide me in the right direction for a console to organize the radios for my new Ranger?

Thanks!

KM4WLV

If you have the means (and I know I'm not going to be alone is this) you need to lose the magnet mounts & at the least use L-Brackets, or permanent mount them. As far as I know there aren't any type of premade consoles for the Ranger. In the past there have been some good home made consoles for the Ranger on here. Just do a search & they should come up.

Good luck & we look forward to some pics !!!

N3KGD

Yeah, I would agree with your comment about loosing the magnet mounts. But, I'm not up to drilling through the roof to make a permanent antenna install. However, I do like your idea about the L-Brackets.

This way, the antennas aren't so high up, but also I don't have to worry about the damn mag mount tipping over because it hit a tree branch. Plus, it also preserves the new paint on the roof. Furthermore, you won't see three sets of wires running to the door crevice on the roof.

I can certainty do that, so I'm going to read up more on it.

I'll also provide pictures of my install when its all said and done, should be sometime next month.

Thanks FD5722!

KM4WLV

Yeah, I would agree with your comment about loosing the magnet mounts. But, I'm not up to drilling through the roof to make a permanent antenna install. However, I do like your idea about the L-Brackets.

This way, the antennas aren't so high up, but also I don't have to worry about the damn mag mount tipping over because it hit a tree branch. Plus, it also preserves the new paint on the roof. Furthermore, you won't see three sets of wires running to the door crevice on the roof.

I can certainty do that, so I'm going to read up more on it.

I'll also provide pictures of my install when its all said and done, should be sometime next month.

Thanks FD5722!

No prob !! If I can help ya anymore as far as advice on equipment or installation just let me know !!

code3cowboy

First use real antenna mounts.

The last ranger I upfitted got a Troy console. I went through the firewall on the driver side above the pedals (to avoid the heater stuff on the passenger side). The headliner drops rather nicely, but it has the cup shaped backing like the crown vics , so you can route your coax around neatly.

N3KGD

code3cowboy,
Perfect! I just found the console to use in the Ranger from Troy Products. Thank you!

Also swstow,
It's automatic transmission with Bucket Seats.

I'll post more information when I get closer to the final install. Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Driv3r912

Duster40

In my Ranger with auto-trans, I removed the mini-cup-holder from the trans hump,
along with the mounting base, & used the same screw mounting holes to mount
a 10 X 14 alum. plate. I have 3 radios mounted here.
A 'headache' rack/rear window protector will provide a perfect place for mounting antennas.

N3KGD

Duster40,

Thanks for that info. Yeah, I have my setup all planned out now. For mounting the antenna, I'm going to use three L-Brackets that come out from the hood.

Two antennas on the left, NMO style, one for the scanner and one for the mobile transmitter. On the right, I'll have another bracket for the CB Antenna, also NMO HF style. That way, there looks to be two antennas on each side (one is for the AM/FM, as standard on the truck).

I'm going to do what you did. Remove the mini holder from the transmission hub and place the console there. I got a perfect one from Troy Products.

So, about this time in October, I'm going to go and purchase the truck and make the necessary installs.

When its all said and done - I'll post pictures in the Mobile "Pictures of your..." forum. I'll provide a link here too.

Thanks guys!

Nick

Last edited:

tbrownell

I know this post is a few months old but fyi Gamber johnson makes a no drill bracket to mount their mcs series of equipment councils. their website lists it as obsolete but you can still get it at their other resellers. just google th3 part number. I have one of the mcs system units in my 2003 F250 with all of my radios and siren and toughbook dock on it and they use factory bolts to mount so you don't have to drill any holes at all. MCS-200-LEG - MCS leg kit -Explorer, Ranger - Car Laptop Mount - Vehicle Laptop Mount

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.