• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Running coax through exterior wall of house into shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Now that I'm moved into my first house, I'm wanting to install a antenna(s) and of course need to get the coax in the shack. Does anyone make some sort of a kit for this type of installation? The coax will be LMR-400 and probably a few a runs of it for multiple antennas.

Tim K.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if you want it to look professional, then use the feed thrus listed above. if you don't want to spend a lot of money, then drill a hole large enough to pass them thru and once all the lines are in fill the hole with spray foam. once it cures trim it even with a knife.

Also you can buy nice duct to make it look neat inside if you want.

K

kb0nly

Buy something simple.... A cable demarc box works great for this and i know a lot of hams and scanner enthusiasts that use one for this.

Keptel CG-1000 WISP Coax NID Enclosure Cable TV Demarc | eBay

I use two of these on my towers, with a grounding plate inside to mount all the lightning arrestors. I have helped a few guys make a nice entry with these, you drill a hole in one of the upper corners for pvc conduit connector using a hole saw, then make a mating hole in side of house, slide a piece of conduit through the wall and seal on both sides and glue on the connector with demarc box attached and screw to wall through the mounting holes. The bottom has foam entries for the cables and will fit LMR400 RG8 sized cables.

Makes for a nice neat entry box, and a good place to ground everything before going into the house.

Otherwise i would suggest instead of spray foam which is a pain if you ever need to remove them or add cables then get a hole saw the same size as PVC conduit, size of your choice, get a length of conduit and get a service entry head, you know what you see on houses with an overhead power entry, that rubber grommet has three holes that will fit coax nicely also, put the entry head on so it faces down and make a drip loop in the coax before it goes up into the entry to keep rain from migrating in. Makes a great weather proof entry.

W2NJS

Before you go and start cutting holes in your walls you might want to take a look at the feedthrough panels that MFJ sells. They're made to fit between the bottom of a double-hung window and the sill below and are made is several configurations.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Another option is to come in under the soffit of the house and in to the attic (if you have one). You might be able to use the vents, or MFJ makes a panel that replaces a vent.

K

kb0nly

Those panels that go in the window are like an air conditioner, they work but look like crap and make for a leaky window in the middle.

If you going to be in that house for a while do something pro looking and neat.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I appreciate all the feed back on this. I'm leaning towards using an electrical/cable box on the outside of the house to run my LMR400 into, then reduce to a smaller coax to make all the tight bends to get it into the shack.

Tim K.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
House Antenna Box and Feeds

Howdy

I a medium size NEMA (outdoors rated) Electrcial type box (the type with little amount of stuff inside the box) you can get at a LOWES or Home Depot. This also gives you good weather protection, room for future cables and grounding protection gear, etc...etc...

Most have a small lock point to keep 'honest people honest' and makes for a good test-point if you run into issues later as well.

The feed thru's as noted by prior post are great or if you have more Coax to feed the PVC works well as always....

Hope this helps.

Thx

Bill

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I used one of DX Engineering's utility enclosures. I drilled a hole through the back of the box and through the wall of the house large enough to pass a piece of PVC pipe into the basement.

Rather than use spray foam insulation to plug the hole, pick up some scraps of fiberglass insulation batting from a construction site and stuff the hole or conduit with that. The fiberglass batting will be a lot easier to remove if you ever need to change the cables going through the hole. But you do need something to plug the hole to keep insects and small critters from using the hole as a gateway into your house.

K

kb0nly

I used one of DX Engineering's utility enclosures. I drilled a hole through the back of the box and through the wall of the house large enough to pass a piece of PVC pipe into the basement.

Rather than use spray foam insulation to plug the hole, pick up some scraps of fiberglass insulation batting from a construction site and stuff the hole or conduit with that. The fiberglass batting will be a lot easier to remove if you ever need to change the cables going through the hole. But you do need something to plug the hole to keep insects and small critters from using the hole as a gateway into your house.

I bought those exact enclosures for both of my towers. Worth the money for the plate and hardware.

WA1ATA

The only thing I'll add is, particularly if you just drill a hole through the wall and shove the coax through, but sure to use a "drip loop".

It's one of those things that is obvious in hindsight.

Make sure that the coax descend to slightly below the entry hole level and then comes back up to the entry. Any water running down the outside of the coax will fall off at the bottom of the bend/loop below the entry point.

K

kb0nly

The only thing I'll add is, particularly if you just drill a hole through the wall and shove the coax through, but sure to use a "drip loop".

It's one of those things that is obvious in hindsight.

Make sure that the coax descend to slightly below the entry hole level and then comes back up to the entry. Any water running down the outside of the coax will fall off at the bottom of the bend/loop below the entry point.

Very good point! I do that with all my cables.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I will have to take some pictures of what I did and post them, its a work in progress situation but I can at least show what I have got done.

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
Equipment used for installation:

Stud finder
5/8" X 12" spade bit
12" X 12" all weather enclosure
1/4" steel/wood bit for pilot holes

Radio equipment:

10" SO-239 thru wall connector
SO-239/PL-259 right angle adaptor

I haven't finished the inside yet. Will update on that.

Tim

Attachments

• Belle Plaine-20110925-00146 (Small).jpg
    Belle Plaine-20110925-00146 (Small).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 23,419
  • Belle Plaine-20110925-00148 (Small).jpg
    Belle Plaine-20110925-00148 (Small).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 27,465
  • Honey Creek-20110925-00147 (Small).jpg
    Honey Creek-20110925-00147 (Small).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 18,571

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I've run coax through thousands of walls.

I got a long drill bit, drilled through the wall (At a slight downward angle so water doesnt run in) stuck the coax through and used clear RTV sealant.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I've run coax through thousands of walls.

I got a long drill bit, drilled through the wall (At a slight downward angle so water doesnt run in) stuck the coax through and used clear RTV sealant.

I wished it worked that easy with LMR-400 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.