• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Splitting AUX input

Status
Not open for further replies.

acurayyz

I currently have an aftermarket AUX input kit for my OEM Honda stereo. It gives me the standard red/white RCA connectors which I used to give me 1 male 3.5mm headphone in. Currently my AUX input is connected to my XM radio for the clearest sound quality (FM transmitter reception sucks). Is there any possible way I can somehow have two devices connected at once (only one device would be outputting audio at a given time). The simple solution is to just unplug the 3.5mm jack and plug it into my scanner/ipod but this is annoying as I have only a small amount of wire coming out from the dash in order to make my XM install cleaner.

Basically I want to have 2 male 3.5mm jacks available at once so I can keep one plugged into my XM radio and have another for a separate device.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Usually someone asks about combining speaker outputs, which can be a real can of worms. Combining aux audio is more straightforward and an oops doesn't produce much smoke.

As long as the source of the audio is AC coupled (no DC voltage constant on the output) you can probably get away with a second 3.5mm jack wired in parallel across the existing jack so both devices can be plugged in at the same time. This can be done with an dual adaptor, a "Y" cable or wire in your own seperate jack. Problems could arise (hum or buzz) but not likely. Anyway, its cheap to do and worth a try. Wouldn't see how it could damage its input.

A slicker way would be to use a mixer. It would give you control over the input levels and provide isolation between the different devices. You could mount it in your glove box and have input jacks out where you get to them.

http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/M...s/MacroMIX-Mini-Mixer.site7prod180617.product

Last edited:

RadioDaze

A slicker way would be to use a mixer. It would give you control over the input levels and provide isolation between the different devices. You could mount it in your glove box and have input jacks out where you get to them.

http://www.music123.com/Pro-Audio/M...s/MacroMIX-Mini-Mixer.site7prod180617.product

That's a good idea - I use one of those ART mixers at home, and it has panning too, so you can separate what comes out of the right & left channels... ART PowerMIX III | Sweetwater.com

But they need to be powered.
You could use a passive one like this:
Rolls MX42 Mini Stereo Mixer

Or how about a switch like this that uses 3.5mm... you could simplify your cabling that way.
Sescom A/B

Status
Not open for further replies.