• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Combining Multipe Radios to One Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0IPM

I'm referencing 2 threads here, an earlier one and a later one respectively.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...-multiple-radios-1-speaker-master-volume.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...forum/206817-multiple-radios-one-speaker.html

So, against Halfpint's judgment in the first thread. I tried a Behringer MX-400, and as he said, it doesn't like "speaker" level inputs, it distorts and won't take the full volume to my speaker. My issue now is the the definition of "line level input." Halfpint used the words "line" and "speaker" level inputs where line is low (mV) and speaker is high (V).

I know this unit will work, but it costs too much.
Fleet Radio Combiner

A unit called the Radio Design Labs ST-MX3 is purported to do what I want in the first thread, but there isn't much reinforcement that it does what I'm looking for. It uses the words mic level for low I'm assuming and line level for high, but I don't really know what our radios put out on this whole spectrum. Anyone have any experience with it? I bought one because one guy is selling them for 14 bucks shipped on eBay right now, so if I don't get any responses, I'll know next week.

eBay link for Radio Labs ST-MX3

Last edited:

jim202

Part of the issue is what type of audio output does the radio your trying to connect to have? The reason I say this is some radios like Motorola use the type of speaker driver that has voltage on both speaker wires. You can't ground either side or you will blow the IC chip that is driving the speaker.

A better way would be to use some coupling transformers and a series coupling cap to block any DC voltage present. Then on the other side of the transformer, you could combine all the transformers into a single common point and then feed that into your computer audio sound board or a low cost speaker amp. The transformers should have an impedance to match what they are connected to. It is not that hard to find some 600 ohm to something like an 8 ohm construction. Put the 8 ohms to the radios and the 600 to the audio amp.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Have you looked at NCS brand equipment?

KD0IPM

This is for the mobile. NCS stuff is cool but costs too much. I need something that works off of line or speaker level. We'll see if this Radio Labs thing works. The Fleet Radio deal is ideal, but also costs too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.