• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK880 for Station Alerting

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmtrain

I have a TK880 that I am going to use for alerting via QCII at my station. The main reason behind it is I am tired of the Minitor and PR400 we have going from silent to rapid loud beeps and me wetting myself every time. Joking of course, however those of us at the station would rather enjoy an ascending tone to wake us rather than the alerting tones produced by the radio.

At a previous department, while they were using QCII for alerting they had a company build a package that took the 12vDC coming from the radio when alerted, and it slowly ramped up the audio to the attached speakers. The nice thing about this was it took the second tone being transmitted and used it specifically as the alert tone, while doing it in a non-apocalyptic alert. I did call the company that the department used for the piece, and they said it was home made but one of the key components was no long in production. Does any one have any suggestions for what can be used to do this? Also, the company I work for doesnt believe in the 'heart saver' tones, so we are doing this out of pocket and trying to keep it from costing us what we perceive a Phoenix G2 alerting system would cost.

I greatly appreciate the advise.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Maybe a little more information on how you will set this up. Are you going to use the TK-880 stand alone with the internal speaker or a single external speaker? Or are you going to hook the radio to a PA amplifier to feed several station speakers?

The 880 will alert to a QCII page but will only give you a default beep sequence that you can turn on or off. The only other thing you can do is adjust the tone volume to a set level that could be lower than the voice traffic. Later models work the same way but you can build your own beep sequence in the program software, but it is just still beeps. Now a Motorola radio will provide an escalert alarm in their later models (CM, CDM) if that's what you're really looking for. Can't say exactly the way it works.

If you are using a PA amplifier with multiple inputs, you could use a stand alone tone generator that gives gentler chime than a hair raising beep, buzz, or whoop. I have used these in the past:

Valcom Ringer Products

There is nothing I have found (other than Motorolas and purpose built alerting systems) that provide a ramped volume for the alert tone.

farmtrain

Maybe a little more information on how you will set this up. Are you going to use the TK-880 stand alone with the internal speaker or a single external speaker? Or are you going to hook the radio to a PA amplifier to feed several station speakers?

The 880 will alert to a QCII page but will only give you a default beep sequence that you can turn on or off. The only other thing you can do is adjust the tone volume to a set level that could be lower than the voice traffic. Later models work the same way but you can build your own beep sequence in the program software, but it is just still beeps. Now a Motorola radio will provide an escalert alarm in their later models (CM, CDM) if that's what you're really looking for. Can't say exactly the way it works.

If you are using a PA amplifier with multiple inputs, you could use a stand alone tone generator that gives gentler chime than a hair raising beep, buzz, or whoop. I have used these in the past:

Valcom Ringer Products

There is nothing I have found (other than Motorolas and purpose built alerting systems) that provide a ramped volume for the alert tone.

yes i will be using external speakers ceiling mounted in the rooms, and mute the internal speaker. Ok awesome, thanks for the info! I wasnt aware that the CD/Ms did escalert. I may be able to access one of those as well.

Any other ideas still greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.