• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

996XT install coming.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Decided, after much debate, to remove my 2 DIN head unit, install a better, but cheaper 1 DIN head unit, and use the other space to install my (hopefully coming soon) BCD996XT. Read a ton online, asked a few questions on here, and decided that this was the best route, with the cleanest install that I could hope for. It will also keep my equipment out of sight (mostly), and out of the wifey's seat. I will try to post pics of the entire install, if I get time. I will most likely post a pic of the finished product, and give a report on whether it went how I expected or not.

N5TWB

Decided, after much debate, to remove my 2 DIN head unit, install a better, but cheaper 1 DIN head unit, and use the other space to install my (hopefully coming soon) BCD996XT. Read a ton online, asked a few questions on here, and decided that this was the best route, with the cleanest install that I could hope for. It will also keep my equipment out of sight (mostly), and out of the wifey's seat. I will try to post pics of the entire install, if I get time. I will most likely post a pic of the finished product, and give a report on whether it went how I expected or not.

I'll be looking forward to your further posts and just thought I'd send some encouragement to you on your plan. I have the same type of install in my Nissan XTerra and have loved it since 2008. I had Best Buy handle the install since that was where I bought the 1 DIN AM/FM/CD to replace the factory unit. Also, I had no tools or skills for accessing the dash area.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
So I started today :). Ripped out the factory stereo, which was in fact a nicer one than the one I just finished putting in.

My goal is this: clean install, no wires showing, with a rigrunner providing the power, connected straight to the battery, with room to grow.

First step: remove old head unit, put new one in. My scanner is backordered, so I popped the 1 DIN head unit in with the spacer, which will be swapped out when the scanner arrives. I'm going to try to include some pics in this post.

Below is basically a view of how much garbage was behind the kit that was already in there. I was able to clear a ton of it out, save the GPS cable and puck that were already on my dash (perhaps for future use with the new scanner), and install a cheap head unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,700
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,509
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,482
Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you know someone in the area with a 996, you might be able to get their DIN sleeve and preinstall it. Very few people use them.

chris

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Antenna shipped yesterday. I will try to show some install pics when I get around to installing it next week. I plan on drilling the roof like I did for my 2m, and using an NMO mount.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Antenna shipped yesterday. I will try to show some install pics when I get around to installing it next week. I plan on drilling the roof like I did for my 2m, and using an NMO mount.

Looks like you know what you're doing! And YES to drilling! Good man!

Mike

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. This is going to be a slow process. Scanner is backordered, with a ship date of later this month. My powerpoles, rig runner, and antenna should all get here this week. I'll try to install it ASAP, and make sure the antenna receives well, using my pro-106, and that the rig runner works and can power my 2m radio.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Alright, so I got part of the install done today. Rewired my power, drilled the antenna and routed the coax. All in all, it went about how I expected it. The antenna install went off without a hitch, since I pretty much knew what I was doing there. Decided to drill 18 inches in front of my 2m antenna, instead of offsetting it towards the back. It was easier this way, and it kept the longer antenna towards the back, so there is less of a chance of it coming in contact with the scanner antenna while transmitting.

The thing that took forever was putting the Anderson powerpoles together. Little tip: when they suggest you get the proprietary crimper tool... DO IT. These things were a b**** to crimp with a terminal crimper and another crimper tool. They have to be perfectly bent inwards to fit into the terminal housing. I messed up about 4 pairs of them before I got the hang of it without the tool. Not my best work at all, but they don't slide out of the crimp and they fit in the housing. I'll be ordering the tool soon.

First thing was to splice a 50 amp fuse inline with the 10 gauge wire I was running. I only did the positive side, mainly because the rig runner has a 40 amp fuse on the input, and a fuse for each output. I'm not really worried about the ground wire shorting out and blowing my equipment up. Maybe that's foolish, I don't know. If you think so, please tell me! Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Next thing was to get the wire through my firewall. The spot I had run the old wires was way too small, so I cut the inside of the seal and made a path. When I get everything set up how I want it, I will put some silicone sealant on the cut to keep noise and moisture out.

I decided to put the rig runner out in the open, so if I ever want to take anything out, change fuse arrangements, install more radios, I'll have easy access to it.

I tested the voltage each time I hooked up a new run of wire, at the connections on each power pole. I am getting about 12.49 volts at the radio.

I tested the ground, coax to tip, and tip to antenna terminal connection on the antenna, and they are all good.

The antenna is a Larsen UHF/VHF/800mhz.

Here are the pics.

First one is of the old wiring.

Second one is the old wiring going through the firewall grommet.

Third and fourth is the new zip cord coming through.

Fifth is the new stuff at the battery terminals.

Attachments

• install02.jpg
    install02.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • install03.jpg
    install03.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • install08.jpg
    install08.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,304
  • install09.jpg
    install09.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,398
  • install10.jpg
    install10.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
More pictures:

Attachments

• install11.jpg
    install11.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,310
  • install12.jpg
    install12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • install13.jpg
    install13.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,281
  • install14.jpg
    install14.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,284
  • install15.jpg
    install15.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,303

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
RIght now, I'm just using my pro-160 to gauge the antenna's reception. So far, it is AMAZING! I'm hearing stuff that normally is broken but readable, and is now perfectly clear. I hear Lynchburg PD from my house, just as well as I head them in the city which is about 20 miles away. I'm impressed.

Attachments

• install16.jpg
    install16.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,298
  • install17.jpg
    install17.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,277
  • install18.jpg
    install18.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • install19.jpg
    install19.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,366
  • install20.jpg
    install20.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,702

cg

Premium Subscriber
I solder all the PowerPoles I use. It makes it much easier to deal with them.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I put a bit of flux on the wire, put the connector on it, and flow the solder into the connector. The only thing would to be sure the curve on the connector tab is facing the correct way first. If you are using 2 conductor wire you may not have room to twist it around.

so no crimping, just put it in the metal piece, solder it, and stick it in the plastic housing?

chris

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Isn't it just amazing how well an antenna system works when you install an NMO mount on a vehicle? I still can't believe all those hobbyists who insist on using magnetic antenna mounts because of some vanity issue? I've own 20 cars and trucks over 40+ years, and even those I leased NEVER had an issue with permanent antenna mounts. I've sold three of my vehicles to ham radio operators and communications enthusiasts because my cars have been "pre-wired" with antennas, power, and auxiliary systems.

Score ONE for Hill2JB for a great installation! Good job; keep those photos 'a-coming!

K4RBT

996XT install

Liked the way you are doing your install. I have a 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara that I have been going over to see how to install a dual band ham radio and some kind of scanner.

Installing the ham radio on the side of the console, for me, is not a good idea as the main computer that does everything is located there. I am having enough problems, which the dealer cannot fix, with the environmental controls, plus it controls the air bags, which this vehicle has all over the place. I am going to make up my own antenna cable/mounts. I will use the Larsen NMOHF mount which does not have any exposed center conductor and a Rg-58 that has two shields, insulated from each other. I will ground only one end of the outer shield making a Faraday shield to keep any loose rf at bay. Wiring for the air bags is everywhere.

I am thinking about using a radio I can remove the head and mount it in front of the overhead console. The scanner might do the same as the 996T I bought used came with the head kit.

I worked in public safety communications maintenance for a number of years. the vehicles are becoming more and more installation unfriendly. I think my next vehicle will be a police/fire fleet vehicle as they do not put a worthless plastic console in them. I cannot remove the one in the Vitara as it has the shifter and brake handle incorporated in it. As Dr.Sheldon Cooprer says, " I would if I could, but can't so I shan't."

Once spring gets here, I will start and take photos.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
What did you use to make the holes for the antennas?

3/4" Ice Hardened

One of these but with a regular looking drill bit in the middle. The bit basically helps guide the hold saw into the metal. Without it, you would pull the trigger on your drill, and it would slide across the roof of your car lol.

There are specialty tools for drilling NMO mounts, but I find this just as effective. I just sand the edges a bit once I make the hole, and make sure the mount is on there tight.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Isn't it just amazing how well an antenna system works when you install an NMO mount on a vehicle? I still can't believe all those hobbyists who insist on using magnetic antenna mounts because of some vanity issue? I've own 20 cars and trucks over 40+ years, and even those I leased NEVER had an issue with permanent antenna mounts. I've sold three of my vehicles to ham radio operators and communications enthusiasts because my cars have been "pre-wired" with antennas, power, and auxiliary systems.

Score ONE for Hill2JB for a great installation! Good job; keep those photos 'a-coming!

Thank you! Hopefully my scanner comes in tomorrow, and I can start programming it.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Scanner came, ran into issues

So I got the scanner in the mail, and after a small learning curve, was able to program it with all my local stuff. The radio works well, scans decently fast, and looks sexy.

I ran into an issue when trying to mount it in the truck. Apparently, though my installation kit says it will support two single DIN radios stacked, I can't figure out for the life of me how to get them both in there. I feel like I may be missing a piece.

I'm going to try a different kit. The original was a Mesa or something, and the new one will be a Scosche TA2053B

Status
Not open for further replies.