• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jeep Cherokee Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've got a 99 Cherokee that I'm finally updating…saying bye to the safari rack, the cb, might be adding some flat fenders, rebuilding rear leafs, etc. And I figure it's a great opportunity to install the Anytone dual-bander I bought for it. I'm planning on remote mounting the unit so I'm gonna need a decent place to put an external speaker.

My next big decision is the matter of the antenna mount. No magnetic option (I always throw mag mounts off on the trails). I'm debating between a hood channel mount and a roof mount. The planned antenna is a Comet CA-2x4SR (which may be a little tall for running around in the Rockies on the roof). I've got multiple NMO installs on my dd's roof so the drilling and everything is not a big deal to me. I'm also wanting to eventually install an APRS tracker in there as well but that will come later.

I'm thinking either go into the roof now and then see if I want to move it to the hood later and use the roof mount for APRS (on a 1/4 wave antenna) or go ahead and go with the hood channel now. I may even go with dual roof mounts like my dd but I just haven't decided yet. Opinions?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
How tall is the antenna going to be? I was wondering if it's too tall you might whack it against low hanging branches over and over on the trail? Might be good to go for a hood mount if that's going to happen.

Project25_MASTR

37" if I remember correctly. I've only encountered 1 "low bridge" on my usual wheeling trails in the last 5 years that would cause a problem for an antenna. The Comet does also have a fold over feature.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
1) can't wait to see some pictures (I have a 95 and need radio ideas)
2) I'd try and keep the CB, a lot of Jeep groups require them for on the trail com since not everyone has a Ham license.
3) I'd either go hood mount or the one that mounts above the break light.

Just my 2 cents, but please nonetheless post pics.

Project25_MASTR

1) can't wait to see some pictures (I have a 95 and need radio ideas)
2) I'd try and keep the CB, a lot of Jeep groups require them for on the trail com since not everyone has a Ham license.
3) I'd either go hood mount or the one that mounts above the break light.

Just my 2 cents, but please nonetheless post pics.

I'm leery about mounting stuff above the 3rd brake light, I just don't like the mounts to do it really.

There's no need for the CB in my world, I've got my ham license but my family has access to my GMRS license and the only other people I wheel with have their commercial licenses for agriculture (not to mention the ones that also have GMRS licenses).

I'll definitely get some pictures up. I have to drive to Canon City, CO to retrieve the XJ first.

Project25_MASTR

Well then hood mount it is lol.

Ah well in that case I guess you're good.

And awesome can't wait.

I might go with a roof mount, just nothing off the back hatch. It really depends on how quickly I can relocate the spare and Hi-lift on the roof rack.

Project25_MASTR

Yea that's what I've been thinking. I've got one in mind, I just want to sell the current rear bumper and roof rack so I don't take a $1000 hit. It'll turn it into a $500 hit if I sell that stuff first.

I may build something...I just haven't decided yet.

Project25_MASTR

What kinda bumper/rack do you have?

Currently my rack is a Yakima rack with the extension, all of the Hi-lift/shovel accessories, spare tire carrier and the light mounts.

Current bumpers are JCR Offroad bumpers that are before JCR redesigned for the NBS XJ's about 2 years ago that made the bumpers flow better around the back corners. It's either build an attachment that swings down off of the recovery tabs or buy JCR's bumper with the spare tire carrier mounted on it already. A couple of guys over on cf recommended a mount that was made for that style of bumper, it just blocks the receiver in the current bumper (which gets used as much as the Jeep gets driven).

Project25_MASTR

I see. Personally I'd just do a new bumper and keep the rack and maybe find a way to mount the antenna to the rack.

I'm done with the rack. It's causing a lot of problems. Keep destroying mounts (factory Yakima mounts that adapted over to the factory rails tore the rails out of the roof), tried a set of gutter mounts and they didn't like the weight, built some new gutter mounts that work okay and lowered the rack 4", runs 12 mpg on the highway with the rack and 18 mpg without (can't keep the transmission in OD running between 55 and 65 mph), it's a pain to take off in the winter so I can run my ski rack.

It's really just not worth the trouble it is becoming to keep it up. I'd go with a new JCR bumper, but that's $1000 and money I could spend elsewhere (such as on JCR tail light housings to build the new spare/jack carrier off of). The only other thing the rack houses is 4 KC's, which I'm taking off as well.

EngineCo8

KQ4CUD
Ahh well when you put it that way lol. And I'll take the advice given when reading between the lines and not get a roof rack.

The bumper carrier is the way I'd like to do it when I have the money to. So I'm all for either purchasing one or (if you have the skill set) build one. And come to think of it there are some bumpers with an antenna mount on the swing-out tire carrier, so you could go that route.

Were you planning on re-locating the KC's?

SpectreOZ

I'm a big fan of mounting antenna's on front bar work (albeit at the expense of some radiation pattern) when dealing with 4WD installs because you are instantly "visually aware" of any impending doom approaching your antenna system.

Not a lot of room traditionally in the Cherokee's cabin so I'll be looking forward to those pictures (might give me some extra ideas) I've got a lifted '96 Sport :D

Project25_MASTR

Ahh well when you put it that way lol. And I'll take the advice given when reading between the lines and not get a roof rack.

The bumper carrier is the way I'd like to do it when I have the money to. So I'm all for either purchasing one or (if you have the skill set) build one. And come to think of it there are some bumpers with an antenna mount on the swing-out tire carrier, so you could go that route.

Were you planning on re-locating the KC's?

They are coming off for good. A buddy is a distributor for a LED light bar company and I was gonna put a 12" in place of my Daylighters on the front bumper and eventually a low profile light bar (no one makes one currently) with a 30" over the top. Also gonna take the tail lights over to LED as and maybe add some LED lights to the back bumper (or even a small bar between the gas skid and gas tank).

Project25_MASTR

I'm a big fan of mounting antenna's on front bar work (albeit at the expense of some radiation pattern) when dealing with 4WD installs because you are instantly "visually aware" of any impending doom approaching your antenna system.

Not a lot of room traditionally in the Cherokee's cabin so I'll be looking forward to those pictures (might give me some extra ideas) I've got a lifted '96 Sport :D

I was playing around with my roommate's '92 and took this. I was just getting ideas (of course I have a NBS so the interior was a little different). BTW, that is the radio that will be going in my 99.
null_zps777fe95c.jpg

SpectreOZ

I had been looking at that location but as it's not terribly deep I had thought it perfect for a remote head installation, overhead consoles are also a popular solution unless you're tall :D

Status
Not open for further replies.