• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vehicle Install - 2013 RAM 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

awstott

Premium Subscriber
So I picked up a new truck last week and I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to install all my gear in it. Antennas are going to have to be fender mounted (found some mounts and have them on the way) as I can't get in the garage with them on the roof.

So with things being fender mounted that means I need to get 2 coax runs plus power through the firewall - preferably without having to drill a new hole. I was driving a VW Golf before and I was able to slip my power through an existing grommet along side the existing bundle and that worked great, but I'm not having much luck finding somewhere to do that on the truck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew (VA6AWS)

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't see anywhere else that it might go.

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
I own a 2013 Ram Laramie and I put in 2 CDM1550 mobiles and a BCD996T scanner. I went all low profile antennas in the roof. The two CDM1550 radios were separated into 2-piece radios. The control heads were mounted to a Panavise "No-Holes" dash bracket. The chassis's to the radios and the scanner were mounted under the back seat on the drivers side. The scanner runs of the BC-RH which is mounted in the cubby pocket closest to the dash, just below the controls for the heated seats and so forth. I made a single mic into two radios and mounted one external speaker for the time being. As for the firewall, no luck on getting through without drilling a hole. I did a 3/4" hole with a grommet and ran power and ignition from the battery and fuse block under the hood. FYI- the fuses in these new trucks are not your average fuse. They are new to the market. I believe the name of them is Micro2 ATM or something along those lines.

Hope this helps. I'm gonna try to get some pics of the truck up in the next week or so.

awstott

Premium Subscriber
Ahh thanks for the tips.

I will likely just run a fuse right off the battery and stay out of the vehicle fuse box so I don't screw anything up.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your install.

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
The fuse box wasn't that bad. If you need ignition power, you have to go into it. I'm on vacation until Friday but I will try and get some pics up this coming weekend.

KK4LBX

Do like I did on my van, look for a grommet in the wall like where the hood release goes through or something and push it out then put some wire loom around it. My van didn't have any unused so that's how I had to run my power to the battery and my coax from my fender mount. Hope this helped.

73's de KK4LBX

Last edited:

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
So I picked up a new truck last week and I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to install all my gear in it. Antennas are going to have to be fender mounted (found some mounts and have them on the way) as I can't get in the garage with them on the roof.

So with things being fender mounted that means I need to get 2 coax runs plus power through the firewall - preferably without having to drill a new hole. I was driving a VW Golf before and I was able to slip my power through an existing grommet along side the existing bundle and that worked great, but I'm not having much luck finding somewhere to do that on the truck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew (VA6AWS)

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't see anywhere else that it might go.

Andrew,

What fender mounts are you using? I picked up a new RAM 1500 in April, right now I am using the cigar lighter for radio power and mag mount on the roof. I need to make this a permanent installation before winter. I also need to find a place to mount my ATAS-200 screwdriver beside a bed-rail pocket. Since I don't do HF while driving, I am thinking about a roof mount for my lunch time DX sessions.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
On the 2500/3500 series Rams with automatic transmissions, there is a plastic plate bolted on the firewall next the steering column. The plate is there for the clutch rod to pass through. I know there isn't a manual transmission option available for the 1500's, but it's possible they used the same firewall.

Jeff.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
On the 2500/3500 series Rams with automatic transmissions, there is a plastic plate bolted on the firewall next the steering column. The plate is there for the clutch rod to pass through. I know there isn't a manual transmission option available for the 1500's, but it's possible they used the same firewall.

Jeff.

I want to say this is what I did when I wired up my Chief's new Ram 1500.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
On the Ram trucks that we do installs on, we always use the OEM grommet for bringing power into the cab. It is on the driver's side on the firewall and is just a plain rubber oval grommet (no holes). Just drill right through it. We always use a high-current solenoid, mounted under the hood, to bring switched-power into the cab. 8 AWG wire from the battery to the solenoid, then 8 AWG from the solenoid into the cab to a fuse block of your choosing. A fused switched-power wire from the fuse block under the hood to the solenoid provides power to energize the solenoid when the truck is turned on.

We use Gamber Johnson pole-mounts on most of the Ram trucks. I prefer consoles as it just looks neater.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin

Jeff.

Ah! That is the one that we use. I completely missed this post.

W6YTB

Glad to find this thread as I also have a new Ram 1500 Laramie that I'm getting ready to do my first mobile install in and have been trying to figure out the best location for the firewall penetration.

The radio bodies are going to mount under the front passenger seat where the jack normally goes - fabricating a plate for them to mount to which will bolt down to the floor using the existing jack hold downs. Will be posting pics of this and the rest of the install as I do it (so far everything's just in my head).

Fender mount antenna too unfortunately - too many trees around here (including in my driveway) for a proper roof mount. Ordered the Pro-Fit mount for the current model Rams, which was delivered yesterday.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
W6YTB? Ben Lomand? So, since we are local, I had to look you up. Sure enough….

Matt here from Telecom. Hey, let me know if you need help, parts, etc. I've got a garage full of stuff, not to mention left overs at work, I've got a slight issue with being unable to throw alway stuff, and blessed with a lot of storage space. Always happy to help out any way I can. If you want, when you get your install done, let me know. We've got a new analyzer at work that we can hook up to your antennas and sweep them. It'll tell you exactly where they are resonate, allowing for dead on adjustment for best performance.

Last edited:

W6YTB

Hey Matt! Yeah, it's me - got my ticket back in May through the campus VE group that Steve (AC6P) at SOE runs (took my exams in Baskin). Haven't had much time to do anything until now. Will definitely give you a holler if I need any help - thanks! And you'll have to stop by the station & see the truck when I get it done.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My dad just traded in his 5.9 Megacab for a 2014. Only got the new one cause he couldn't justify tearing the engine apart to fix a cracked ring and the half tons were finally getting as good of fuel mileage.

I was thinking about giving him a setup to keep in touch with all of the TxDOT going's on as well as access to GMRS. I was thinking about installing some low profile antennas on one of his son's custom low profile headache racks. Just a thought, if you don't want to do a roof mount, you could always to a low pro on a headache rack (assuming the headache rack will provide you the needed clearance still).

Anyway, cabs are different on the 1500 versus 2500/3500 platform. Best bet is to go through the factory wiring harness grommet (did it on my Trailblazer, my Jeep, a few friends late model 2500's (Dodge and Chevy), I even did it on my old F150).

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
I have set up my 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. I am running a CDM1550 Remote Mount in VHF and UHF and a BCD996T. I have the full floor console, so I mount both control heads in the bin, which is located int he center console next to the cup holders. My scanner (control head only) is mounted just below the center dash in a small storage bin/dish. All radio components are located under the back seat on the driver's side.

As for antennas, I originally installed low profile "hockey puck" style VHF and UHF antennas and a 7/800 MHz Maxrad low profile antenna in the roof. The hockey puck antennas only lasted about a month or so and I changed them out to regular 1/4 wave antennas. I didn't want to because I wanted to stay with the "Low Profile" look but I was sacrificing too much in performance. So, I installed standard black 1/4 waves for VHF and UHF and you can hardly notice them. I have a couple pictures of the inside. I tried to upload them but they may be too big. If anyone would like to see them, send me your email address, and I will send them to you.

I'm not overly happy with the install. I'm a "console" guy, having come from installing Havis consoles in all my vehicles. But, this will have to do for the time being until a better, alternate method comes along. I can tell you that a custom console is definitely out of the question due to the outrageous price.

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
Here are the pictures. Had to re-size them.

Picture #1: Is of the 2 CDM1550 Control heads mounted in the center console/cubby area

Picture #2: Is of the BCD996T Control head mount in the center storage area, just below the auxiliary controls.

Picture #3: Is of the external speaker, which is for the scanner and a custom A/B switch box for the microphone. I have one mic for two radios. The mini toggle switch switches between which radio I want to transmit on.

Attachments

• photo 1 (800x600).jpg
    photo 1 (800x600).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 15,166
  • photo 2 (800x600).jpg
    photo 2 (800x600).jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 12,422
  • photo 3 (800x600).jpg
    photo 3 (800x600).jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 5,709
Status
Not open for further replies.