• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I just bought myself a 2012 Ram 1500 truck. I am looking for your input on a few things.

1) Were do you think I would be able to install my uniden scanner and if I choose a cb radio as well.(keeping it clean looking)
2) Best place to install antenna's for 3 items (scanner, cb radio and cell booster)

Attached is a view of the inside. Vehicle is a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab

Attachments

• 2010-Ram-1500-Laramie-Crew-Cab-cockpit-11.jpg
    2010-Ram-1500-Laramie-Crew-Cab-cockpit-11.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19,160

Drachen_Fire

What model of Uniden scanner?

I would say that if you have a BCT-15, 15X, 996, etc, to get a BC-96RH remote head kit and put it on a ProClip dash mount. For a CB, try a Cobra 75WXST remote handset unit, and mount it on an attached bracket to the control head.

For antennas, put 2 NMO and 1 NMOHF mount in the roof. PCTel makes an awesome NMOHF cell band antenna. For the scanner, PCTel phantom UHF works great, and for the CB, Larsen makes the NMO27B.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
yeah for the scanner I have a btc15x...kinda crazy that the remote kit cost more than the scanner itself.

Drachen_Fire

It's worth it though. If you get one, just make sure that you power both the scanner and the remote head off of an ignition switched lead. The remote head doesn't control the power status of the scanner.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Remote heads are about the only way to go. Takes up a lot less space. And if you decide on a cb, same there, just the all in one microphone so it doesn't take up room.

FDNYOPS

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2013 Ram (almost exact interior), and have the same dilemma.

I haven't measured the tray in front of the shifter knob yet, but I am thinking maybe the RH96 remote head would work in that spot..

Also debating where to put the antenna... Either lip mounted on the hood, or permanently mounted on the roof. Just don't want to have to remove the antenna each time the truck goes through a car wash.

K3EP

Terry ... some good comments here. I really concur with using a RH96 and putting it and the scanner on the ignition switch so you don't have to worry about powering them off. Also, I think that's a tray above your radio. I would put the RH96 there so you can see it easily. You really don't want to have to glance down to read the display when you are driving. My 2 cents. Nice truck by the way.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
NMO all the way. Drilling the roof is never a pleasant thought the first few times you think about it but it is well worth it. If you are concerned about height, run the 11m antenna on a hood channel mount (there are a few companies that make NMO mounts for current body style Dodges, Firestik used to make one for the 94-02 Dodges specifically for CB application).

You might actually be able to find a drop in radio console that goes over the factory console for that Dodge, it would let you run full sized radios (personally there are features I prefer on the "full sized" CB chassis) and not have to remote mount them. However, remote mounting isn't a problem because you can usually get away with mounting the actual radios under the back seat.

Here are two remote mount examples I did in my Cherokee (all FM radios though)…
Head:
null_zps3f1a1564.jpg

Radio:
null_zps5a3780df.jpg

GPS Tracker and radio (standalone system wired into ignition):
null_zpsa1104daf.jpg

I have one hood channel mount NMO for a dual band VHF/UHF antenna on that Jeep, 1/4 wave VHF on the roof (NMO of course). One hood channel NMO with 5/8 wave VHF and 2 roof mounted NMO for 900 MHz and VHF/UHF on my dd and have never had an issue with any of the mounts. It really is a solid mount design.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I decided probably best to install the antenna on my roof even though I have to drill holes.

I am only going to install my cellphone booster for now so I was wondering if this would be the optimal location for the antenna or if you guys had other suggestions. Also were can I find information on were to wire the power directly into the booster so that when the vehicle power is on so is the booster. I looked at getting a local place to install it and the guy was super rude and wanted close to 500$..trying to sell me a 20$ antenna for 80$ and so on.

Also what is a good place to buy the stuff I need? I am in Alberta Canada. In Edson :)

Thanks

Terry

Attachments

• 20131009_112328.jpg
    20131009_112328.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 3,973
Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I decided probably best to install the antenna on my roof even though I have to drill holes.

I am only going to install my cellphone booster for now so I was wondering if this would be the optimal location for the antenna or if you guys had other suggestions. Also were can I find information on were to wire the power directly into the booster so that when the vehicle power is on so is the booster. I looked at getting a local place to install it and the guy was super rude and wanted close to 500$..trying to sell me a 20$ antenna for 80$ and so on.

Also what is a good place to buy the stuff I need? I am in Alberta Canada. In Edson :)

Thanks

Terry

I'm no expert but that's looks about right, especially considering the truck has a sunroof. I point that out because someone will probably say it needs to be dead center of the roof but obviously the sunroof, in this case, eliminates that option.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm no expert but that's looks about right, especially considering the truck has a sunroof. I point that out because someone will probably say it needs to be dead center of the roof but obviously the sunroof, in this case, eliminates that option.

Exactly. You need to consider 2 things:

1. Size of the ground plane needed for your cellular booster, At 700, 800 and higher, you only need a few inches to make a good ground plane for a cellular antenna, so putting it near the back of the roof is just fine.

2. Future antennas. Since it sounds like you want to install a 2 way radio at some point, save the "good" ground plane location for that radio, don't waste it on something that doesn't need it. A CB needs a larger ground plane, so that would be better off closer to the center.

If your sun roof retracts into the roof (rolls back between the headliner and the roof), you likely won't be able to install an antenna in the center. If it doesn't, you should be OK. My wife's Ford Escape has the sun roof that rolls back, so the antenna is farther back to avoid issues.

Not sure about the Dodge trucks, but removing the 3rd brake light or the interior dome light (if it's near the rear of the cab) will likely make installation easier.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
yeah unfortunatly the sunroof does retract into the headliner

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
yeah unfortunatly the sunroof does retract into the headliner

OK, not a problem. Scanner and CB antennas will work with a less than ideal ground plane. Instead of putting the cellular antenna smack in the center of the back of the cab, space it over towards the satellite radio antenna, and put the scanner antenna on the left. My work truck has two 800MHz antennas near the back of the cab like that, and a VHF 1/4 wave right in the center. Works just fine.

I understand the issue. When I bought my new truck back in 2011, they had to search pretty hard to find one with the options I wanted and specifically without the sun roof. Didn't want that getting in the way of the antennas. At least you have some rooftop real estate to work with.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
Ok from what you stated ....this????

Attachments

• 20131009_112328b.jpg
    20131009_112328b.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 9,954

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That would just fine, if you are OK with the positioning.

One option, depending on the size of your scanner antenna, would be to place the CB dead center over the third brake lamp. Put the scanner antenna on right, just behind that rib, close to the satellite radio antenna. Put the cellular on the left just behind the rib. That would satisfy the OCD folks, and look a little better in the long run. Having the scanner and satellite radio antennas near each other is going to be OK. The CB antenna in the center will give it the best possible ground plane. The cellular antenna would be away from the satellite radio antenna reducing any chance of interference between the two.

I'm assuming you are going to use permanent NMO mounts, right? That really helps the look, definitely makes it look more professional. No need to crap up your new truck with mag mounts and coax run through windows and doors. Magnets belong on your refrigerator, not your antennas.

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I am going for permanent mounts. I'm assuming this is what you meant by the placement suggestions

Attachments

• 20131009_112328c.jpg
    20131009_112328c.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 3,826

terryrj

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys I still need help with 2 things....

1) were to purchase the stuff I need (antenna, nmo mounts ... etc...) Must be able to ship to Canada
2) instructions on hooking it up (power)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For work, I purchase (usually) from Tessco ( TESSCO - Wireless & Mobile Communications Products: Antennas, Cable, Towers, Test Equipment, Tools, Mobile Phone Accessories ) They have a $50 minimum order, but you should't have a problem meeting that.

The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source They advertise here, but I've never purchased from them.

Power.... Like I said before, pull directly off the battery for good clean power. You'll do good to find someone that has wired one of these trucks before to give you some ideas on where to feed through the firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.