• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Installation '11-'13 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafd55

How is the installation for NMO mounting in the new Explorers? I haven't looked under the headliner yet. Are all the pillars accessible or no?

Chilledboost

be careful when using the hole saw on those. the roofs will tear if the hole saw snags .. also you may consider to run the coax down the passenger or driver rear pillar because of the side airbags

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
That is why you should use the antenna hole saw designed for it and drop the headliner partially when you install antennas the cable can be run behind the side air bag curtain along the A pillar or C pillar depending on where you mount the radios. Its not hard at all i f you follow the factory harness from the roof and tie the cable to the harness.

Chilledboost

even with the NMO hole saw it will still try to tear the roof. i have also seen the stress from the NMO270 antenna rip the nmo mount out of the roof on the new explorer and the interceptor utility

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Really? I have been installing on Explorers all types of vehicles professionally for 18 years and only have had maybe a handfull of ripped roof antennas all from garage doors or car washes.

lafd55

I am mounting the radio body to the rear driver's side molding next to the 3rd row seat, there it doesn't interfere with moving the seat forwards or backwards, I would install it under a seat but there really isn't any good room to do that. I am also not using whips, Low Pro for me (VHF and 800 both Larsen), and the coax will be ran down the D pillar for the radio and the A pillar for the scanner. I think most of the install will be tricky but I will have someone helping to make the stress a little less.

lafd55

Really? I have been installing on Explorers all types of vehicles professionally for 18 years and only have had maybe a handfull of ripped roof antennas all from garage doors or car washes.
I had an antenna rip out before when driving under caution tape, it sucked.

fdscan

Not for anything but, given that the Explorer is Ford's new "Interceptor" vehicle... I'd hope it's easy to run wiring in and sort of set up for it, even in the civilian version.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Both the same neither are easy. If antennas are getting ripped out then the hole that was drilled probably was the wrong size.

lafd55

The holes in my state Tahoe were definitely not 3/4 inch holes, that's probably why the antenna ripped out so easily. I was just saying, Low Pro is a little less to worry about when dealing with overhead obstructions and snagging. One example.... The Car Wash Monster.

xplorer417

hi in regards to the new explorer 2013-2014 ford explorer wish they mad it the same way for civilian side as they do for police so we have more room in center console area for are stuff they stick the shifter in the center on the civilian explorer and they put the shifter on the steering column in the interceptor does anyone have any pictures of setups of radios In that interceptors or the new explorers

lafd55

hi in regards to the new explorer 2013-2014 ford explorer wish they mad it the same way for civilian side as they do for police so we have more room in center console area for are stuff they stick the shifter in the center on the civilian explorer and they put the shifter on the steering column in the interceptor does anyone have any pictures of setups of radios In that interceptors or the new explorers
There is room in front of the shifter but that would cover the access to the USB, video, and GPS card. I know the place where I'm installing is in the armrest compartment and thats all the room I need. there is room there for either two radios or radio and a siren. Best bet to to just get a siren and radio with a HHCH, it would be cleaner and less cluttered.

medic77083

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are people really having that many issues drilling the roof for antennas? I'm about to do an install on my own Interceptor Utility, and guess I should use a little more caution then. I know the PI's all have magnetic headliners for easy-drop, but the soft roof skin has me worried reading this thread.

NodrogCop

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are people really having that many issues drilling the roof for antennas? I'm about to do an install on my own Interceptor Utility, and guess I should use a little more caution then. I know the PI's all have magnetic headliners for easy-drop, but the soft roof skin has me worried reading this thread.

Don't be. I work for a professional upfitter. As FFPM571 has said, if you install it right, it won't be a problem. We've done hundreds of the new utilities and not one has come back with antenna issues. We use an antenna hole saw and run the cables either to the A pillar or the back pillar depending on radio installation.

Gordon

medic77083

Don't be. I work for a professional upfitter. As FFPM571 has said, if you install it right, it won't be a problem. We've done hundreds of the new utilities and not one has come back with antenna issues. We use an antenna hole saw and run the cables either to the A pillar or the back pillar depending on radio installation.

Gordon

Can you shoot me a part # for the hole saw you guys use, so I can start doing some research beforehand? I'll be using the rear power studs for a remove VHF amp, and running an XTVA and my XTS5000 mounted in my equipment console. Also, what, if anything do you use for inslating the roofs on these?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I use the Antennex brand holesaw, but they are all the same, just make sure it has fine teeth on the saw blade part. Don't use the coarse tooth hole saws like you'd find at a hardware store. Those are mostly intended for wood.
Other option is to get a 3/4" chassis punch. You drill a smaller hole and install the punch. A few cranks with a wrench and you have a nice clean hole

What I've run into in the past is "3/4" Trade Size" punches. These are intended for 3/4" conduit fittings and are actually 7/8". While you can get an NMO mount to work on a 7/8" hole, it's very weak and will pull out.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
yes spend the money for the correct saw. I have mine that I have used for 18 yrs and only replaced the blade ove the years.

mrweather

I have an Antennex hole saw and it works very well. I've only drilled about a dozen holes over the years but each one was made quickly and without issues. Run the drill at a low rpm, go slow and let the teeth do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.