• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood KES-5 B Pillar mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone done this?

I have a 2003 F150 crew cab and am looking for a good place to put a speaker. One of our new Battallion Chief vehicles (3/4 ton Ram) at my work was "dressed up" by a vendor and they mounted a KES-5 low on each of the B pillars presumably above the seatbelt tensioner and the rest of the crud in there. It was mounted with the back half of the speaker inside the B pillar and the speaker grille (and possibly the speaker itself) over the pillar plastic. It looks really slick, but I don't really feel comfortable tearing apart the Cheif's truck to see exactly how they did it.
It also seems like there is not much tolerance between the inside of the speaker housing to fudge the b pillar cut. I'm sure I can cut and file/shave plastic down until it fits. Is there an easier way?

Thanks,
Mark

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Well crud! Guess I answered my own question! Sometimes you just have to go for it. I ended up removing the speaker from the housing and cut the plastic around the tracing of the speaker element. Next time I would cut inside the tracing by just a hair, as I had some little gaps, but they are not obvious. The other thing is that I needed longer screws to put the housing back together. I removed the rubber gasket for now to create more space. It looks like there are only a couple of threads holding the speaker in. I over-torqued one of them and heard the dreaded "pop".

uploadfromtaptalk1425769948516.jpg

Last edited:

KM4RZT

This is awesome! I have a KES-5 and want to do exactly the same thing in my GMC Canyon. How has this worked out for you? Still happy with it? Easy to hear? Any issues? Any other installation tips? Thanks!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
How has this worked out for you?
FYI, you are replying to a 2-year-old thread. There's no guarantee that the OP will come back here so you may not get a reply.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I'm still here! [emoji3]

I have been very happy with this setup.

No issues at all and the sound/volume is great.
Other than finding the slightly longer screws, it ended up being a simple install. I would maybe add a thin bead of clear silicone around the edges of the speaker to minimize any potential vibration and seal up the whole assembly. Let us know how it goes!

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
In my 1994 GMC pick up, I remover the coat hager hook above the seat belt and mounted my scanner speaker. Wish I had pictures of it but I don't. In my 2013 Honda Ridgeline I have the scanner speaker mounted/attached to the space between the seat the the adjustable headrest. Works great there too.

KM4RZT

Thanks Mark! I'll let you know how it goes. Truck is brand new and still waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.