• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

97 jeep Cherokee mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama71j

Premium Subscriber
So I chase storms in my local area and have a pro-651 and the standard antenna just isn't cutting it. Any suggestions for a vehicle mounted antenna setup? Btw I'm very new to using aftermarket antennas.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've got a 99 XJ. If you don't mind drilling a hole, best option is to drop the center roof console (2 screws up front, slide forward if your not like me and have an extra screw towards the back) and using an appropriate bit/punch/hole-saw pop a hole for a NMO mount towards rear part of the center console (don't drill close to a brace). Then a simple VHF NMO antenna can be used or a more band dedicated antenna.

Best option…

Project25_MASTR

Never seen a 97-01 without an overhead console. I've only seen one 84-96 without and it was a fleet purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackswan73

I have two 93 2 doors, and neither has overhead consoles. I have wondered for some time where to put a couple of radios in mine. Also if you use a roof mount, you have to deal with the headliner, and pad. I know of and currently use a tailight bracket mount for my antenna. It is US made and can be had from EBay, or the manufacturer. It uses a standard 3/8-24 stud mount. I find it works well for my 4' Firestik

Project25_MASTR

I keep a hood channel mount for the CB antenna on front of mine. Have a antenna for APRS on the roof above the overhead console as well as a few light switches on the overhead console. All you have to do (if you have an overhead console) is remove the metal trim that holds the head liner up, use some stiff wire or fish tape to fish the feed line to whatever pillar you want and bring it down. Mine goes over to the C pillar and then down to the D pillar where the little storage cubby is where the radio is mounted. It took a whopping 30 minutes to do the entire install. Now if you for some reason don't have an overhead console in a new body XJ, you can always pull a rear speaker to look, then drill and fish to the appropriate pillar.

"Dealing with the headliner" is relatively easy. Just remove the trim/headliner retainers around the panels you need to get behind, get some fish tape (I use the fiberglass screw together type) and run the feed line. It's actually more difficult (and time consuming) to deal with newer vehicles where you have to route around side curtain airbags.

I could see where it would be more of a challenge on the 84-96 XJs due to not having as much access without physically lowering the headliner an inch or two but 97-01 is actually fairly easy to deal with.

I'm actually going to end up moving my dual band antenna (split the antennas) and drill the second spot above the rear speakers. I may throw a 2.4 GHz antenna instead but I doubt I'll do that.

3eb1317a-26f5-4207-befd-ae5ed1640f7f_zps0c093522.jpg

536357ED-81D3-4249-BA0A-D791BABD1506_zpszce0jkwz.jpg

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
There is a wideband, multiband ham antenna that comet makes that is pretty robust, and gives amazing recieve on pretty much every useful band that you'd normally scan.

Really good on VHF and UHF commercial and public safety, and brings in 800 well.

60 buck antenna from the antenna farm, but every now and again i see it used online on amazon or a ham site.

Comet CA-2x4SR

You can get it as an NMO (Hole mount or body mount) or get it as a pl-259 mount and use any of the cherokee specific cb antenna mounts and put it on the side of the body.

I'm currently running one on the fender using one of the hood bolts on my silverado, and its an excellent performer for the scanner, picking up both VHF and the 800 p25 system quite well.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Never seen a 97-01 without an overhead console. I've only seen one 84-96 without and it was a fleet purchase.

My 97 does not have a console. There is a dome light between the front seats, which has two map lights. (My NMO is right behind that assembly, and is visible when removed.)

Sent via Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

There is a wideband, multiband ham antenna that comet makes that is pretty robust, and gives amazing recieve on pretty much every useful band that you'd normally scan.

Really good on VHF and UHF commercial and public safety, and brings in 800 well.

60 buck antenna from the antenna farm, but every now and again i see it used online on amazon or a ham site.

Comet CA-2x4SR

You can get it as an NMO (Hole mount or body mount) or get it as a pl-259 mount and use any of the cherokee specific cb antenna mounts and put it on the side of the body.

I'm currently running one on the fender using one of the hood bolts on my silverado, and its an excellent performer for the scanner, picking up both VHF and the 800 p25 system quite well.

I've got one on my spare tire carrier. I've got two of them and it's a like-hate relationship. I like that they are as wide banded as advertised…hate how stiff they are and how they were advertised as being a SAR ready antenna.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I've got one on my spare tire carrier. I've got two of them and it's a like-hate relationship. I like that they are as wide banded as advertised…hate how stiff they are and how they were advertised as being a SAR ready antenna.

Comet recently released a spring version, and they do sell the spring portion seperately.

I've only hit mine once when it was roof mounted, caused more damage to the stuccoed structure i hit then the actual antenna. Thats why its on the front fender now.

SAR up here uses them because they can cover 140 ham, 155 public safety, 460 emscomm and recieve on 800 as needed.

Project25_MASTR

They probably began offering the spring to cover their liability for vehicle damage.

I hit a tree with one…pulled the NMO mount out of the roof of my trailblazer. I won't ever run one again on the roof, regardless of whether or not it has a spring. I've got enough widebanded alternatives. The antenna wasn't damaged by the tee I might add. Still works.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
thats very likely. I wondered what would happen if i had hit something harder or lower on the whip.

Mine will stay on the fender, since i "lost" one of my NMO holes to a spotlight. Its connected to a scanner at the moment, so not like theres a huge need for it to be high up.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I hit a tree with one…pulled the NMO mount out of the roof of my trailblazer. I won't ever run one again on the roof, regardless of whether or not it has a spring. I've got enough widebanded alternatives. The antenna wasn't damaged by the tee I might add. Still works.

Same here, with my Cherokee. I like the antenna, but like my roof, too. I installed a washer on the inside side on the NMO, to distribute the physical stress.

Sent via Tapatalk

cmdrwill

Hey you guys need to take your balls off....

Many years in the two-way bus, and my good friend's, SK, Jeep Wagoneer in the late 60's. Got the AS 49" low band whip caught in the sway brace on the back of the garage door. Pulled out the AS 3/4" mount.

I always remove the ball on the whip and the whip does not catch on most things.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i have not had balls since the 90's.

wait, no.

my antennas have not had balls since i was in high school and thought the 66 incher on the back of the cutlass ciera was cool.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The only XJ's with a console overhead were the higher trim levels The police package, Base and sport models do not. I have run NMO mounts with and without springs and have hit mulitple garage doors and low branches. never ripped one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.