• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

rack radio mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Have a standard if old effects rack out of a radio station, floor standing, I have various radios mounted to standard rack shelves and would like to explore custom flush mounting, such as below How are such mounts made, can I make them myself and how do I design them to hold the equipment?
Note there is one ic 706, one ft-7800, one 396xt scanner and one 900 mtx Motorola .
Thanks, and if this is the wrong place to post let me know.

My goal is a more clean pro like appearance.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4,090

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Have a standard if old effects rack out of a radio station, floor standing, I have various radios mounted to standard rack shelves and would like to explore custom flush mounting, such as below How are such mounts made, can I make them myself and how do I design them to hold the equipment?
Note there is one ic 706, one ft-7800, one 396xt scanner and one 900 mtx Motorola .

You can find some on eBay and other internet outlets. Here's a current listing for a rack mount for the Motorola CDM radios: Rack Mount 2U Dual Motorola CDM 1250 | eBay

19" rack mounts have been around for a long time. You can find used ones all over the place. I searched ebay for "rack mount" (with the quotes) and got 12,000 hits. Many, many of the hits are for parts for rack mounts so it should be quite easy to build your own, too.

As for design, I am sure that if you look at enough pictures of 19" rack mounts, you can figure out how to plan one for yourself.

TonyS

Making the cabinet is the easy part. Making the face plates is another thing. I've tried making my own face plates with my mill but it was very tedious. The 1/8"-thick metal usually used will bend/twist in a vice. You need a backer to hold it in place. Best to buy the face plates. You can whip up a cabinet in 1 day if you have decent skills.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Have the rack. Need the faceplates, thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Is that picture from the thread of the user who has the model airplanes in his shack as well? If so I believe he has a few threads on here in the Pictures subforum and I am 99.9% sure he says in that thread where he acquired the faceplates from, etc. If you just found that online then search the Pictures forum for one called "____ Racks the Shack" where ___ is his ham callsign...I'm not where I can easily look it up and link to it or I would...

kb4mdz

Jotto faceplate for the particular radio(s) i'm interested in; and a Hammond rack panel, 3U high, I used the PBFS19005BK2; it's flanged on the top & bottom so it will have some more rigidity. I have access to someone with a plasma cutter, he opened up 2 holes, side by side, that the Jotto faceplates can fit into. Mount the radio to the faceplate then screw the faceplate to the panel with the standard mounting holes.

Here's some kenwood stuff I did years ago;with a couple CPI Tone Adapters also racked. And then a whole rack full of them; previously had been on shelves, two radios with TRA per shelf. Reduced rack space by 1/2.

Attachments

• RackMountKenwoodRadios004shrunk.jpg
    RackMountKenwoodRadios004shrunk.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,052

N9JIG

Sheriff

This is from one of my prior shack builds. While I still have the same cabinets etc. they have been rearranged a bit since I moved to Arizona.

The rack, faceplates and power supplies came from Radio Specific Power Supplies. They use JottoDesk faceplates (http://jottopublicsafety.gojotto.com/console-accessories.html).

Enjoy!

N9JIG

Sheriff
You can find some on eBay and other internet outlets. Here's a current listing for a rack mount for the Motorola CDM radios: Rack Mount 2U Dual Motorola CDM 1250 | eBay

19" rack mounts have been around for a long time. You can find used ones all over the place. I searched ebay for "rack mount" (with the quotes) and got 12,000 hits. Many, many of the hits are for parts for rack mounts so it should be quite easy to build your own, too.

As for design, I am sure that if you look at enough pictures of 19" rack mounts, you can figure out how to plan one for yourself.

NovexComm (the guy referenced above) makes some nice stuff. I have used his Icom mounts for years and have an R8500 rackmounted with his mount now.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Is that picture from the thread of the user who has the model airplanes in his shack as well? If so I believe he has a few threads on here in the Pictures subforum and I am 99.9% sure he says in that thread where he acquired the faceplates from, etc. If you just found that online then search the Pictures forum for one called "____ Racks the Shack" where ___ is his ham callsign...I'm not where I can easily look it up and link to it or I would...

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/294794-n9jig-racks-shack.html

Status
Not open for further replies.