• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2013 GMC Sharkee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Long story short, I just bought a 2013 Sierra the other day. Have a Panorama Sharkee for it…any location suggestions for that? I was thinking more towards over the 3rd brake light, but open to ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Does it require a certain size ground plane in all directions?

Also, which whip are you using with it?
Left front corner is the OEM XM/Onstar location, if your truck isnt equipped, putting it there would make it look OEM.

Above the 3rd brake light would look good, but you may have an issue getting the cables into the cab.

Project25_MASTR

Does it require a certain size ground plane in all directions?

Also, which whip are you using with it?
Left front corner is the OEM XM/Onstar location, if your truck isnt equipped, putting it there would make it look OEM.

Above the 3rd brake light would look good, but you may have an issue getting the cables into the cab.

I went ahead and put it over the rear dome light. Right now it's just got the nitol VHF whip on it (I've got a trident ordered).

I've got a OEM OnStar antenna (most consumer level GM trucks ship with OnStar from the factory) and that would've required dropping the headliner to get to.

07-13 GM trucks the 3rd brake light is an option for NMO. However, the shank on the Sharkee is about an inch long and to move it forward enough to get the Sharkee fully on the roof, you're cutting very close to if not right on top of a support brace back there.

DBEBC905-BC7D-439F-8721-C2B0FEF74D91_zps36xf7xp3.jpg

D1807A96-C6A3-4F24-9A24-F28B9FDB99DF_zps26af8rlc.jpg

So far everyone who has seen it has just thought it was an aftermarket cell antenna (very common in this part of Texas).

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I really like them. Next vehicle I get will probably get one.

If you figure the cost and headache of dropping the headliner and drilling 3-4 NMO holes and getting 3-4 antennas, especially the higher cost low profiles I use, then the overall cost is worth it.

The fact that you can get each lead ordered with the specific connector you need makes it even better.

One single antenna that can replace my active GPS puck on the dash, wifi out, multi band cell in, + vhf would be very much worth it for my application.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I was quoted 210-220 shipped for the config i wanted:

Triband whip with BNC, MCX on wifi and GPS, SMA on cell.

This was about a year ago, when i was contemplating adding an onstar FMV mirror to my truck.

Project25_MASTR

They also make a midrange triplexer. It's between the comet and sti-co options.

The pigtail has the same connectors across the board but they only come out of the base of the antenna on 12" leads. Those don't change. What changes is the wiring kits they send.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
That semi-vertical piece of timber in the background sort of looks like part of the antenna, and of course it's not. Just adds a little mystery to the photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.