• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for: Rack mount clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have rack-mounted all my radios (look in the Pictures forums...) and currently have 4 fairly cheap digital clocks to monitor the 4 mainland US timezones. These are sitting on top of the racks and I don't like it...

I am looking for a rack-mount replacement for these with several clocks. I prefer 5 clocks, and with a 24-hour option so I can add GMT to the mix.

I could also use a pair of 3-clock panels.

I would prefer a 1 or 2 U rack.

Any ideas?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have rack-mounted all my radios (look in the Pictures forums...) and currently have 4 fairly cheap digital clocks to monitor the 4 mainland US timezones. These are sitting on top of the racks and I don't like it...

I am looking for a rack-mount replacement for these with several clocks. I prefer 5 clocks, and with a 24-hour option so I can add GMT to the mix.

I could also use a pair of 3-clock panels.

I would prefer a 1 or 2 U rack.

Any ideas?
In looking around, most of the rack mount clocks seem to be one large one per panel. I suspect you want to have 5 smaller clocks in a single panel.

If I was looking to do what you want, I'd get myself a blank panel in the correct size needed and then pick up some matching panel mount clocks and make my own cutouts for them in the panel. If you use an aluminum panel, the cutting is pretty darned easy and the holes can be fine tuned with a file.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I learned the electronics business back in the days when 19" racks were the standard for just about everything. It was the norm to grab a blank panel and fabricate what was needed on the fly.

N9JIG

Sheriff
My metal-working skills are naught. If I did something like that I would have to have someone build it for me.

I had a friend years ago that helped me make some custom rack-mounts for radios but he retired and moved away before I did.

PACNWDude

Spectracom units work great as a network clock.

Last operations center I saw with rack mounted multiple time zone displays was a custom built unit though.

Many places I go to now have the World Map "Geochron". Wish somebody did make a 4 or 5 time zone, 1 unit high clock myself. (Backlit in red, not LCD, vaccuum flourescent.)

N9JIG

Sheriff
I can find a couple different options for multi-zone clocks but they are all $2500 or more, just a bit above the budget for this project!

DJ11DLN

Auto-Meter and others sell quartz automotive clocks sized to fit a 2-5/8" gauge hole. Don't know if they have a 24-hour version or not but a blank plate and a hole saw might make fitting these a fairly easy option...just a suggestion.

Blackswan73

Look for panel clocks on eBay. They come in several LED colors, and range in price from $5-$9. All are from China, or Hong Kong, so allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. As has been mentioned, get a 19" piece of aluminum, or light steel, and make cutouts. The cutouts don't have to be perfect, since the clock bezel will hide them. Mark on the panel where you want the cutouts with a marker. Drill 1/4" holes at the corners of each marked cutout area. Then use a sabre saw, or dremel to finish each cutout. Mount the clocks and connect to 12v supply. You could even use a different led color clock for each zone.

Blackswan73

I forgot to mention to center punch the holes before drilling. This is to prevent the drill from walking. You can use a nail as a center punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.