• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1250 Installation in 2007 Fod Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChabalie

Planning on installing a CDM1250 in a 2007 Ford Fusion. It's been a while since I've done any kind of install work. Where would be the best place to get power to the radio and, ideally, I'd like to use an Ignition Interface Cable so it turns on and off with the key. Thanks in advance!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Planning on installing a CDM1250 in a 2007 Ford Fusion. It's been a while since I've done any kind of install work. Where would be the best place to get power to the radio and, ideally, I'd like to use an Ignition Interface Cable so it turns on and off with the key. Thanks in advance!
Per the Motorola install manual for the CDM's, get +12vdc from the battery hot terminal. Ground the radio's power cable at a factory ground somewhere near the battery, but don't use the battery negative terminal. Use a good chassis ground.

The newer Ford's use computer control of much of the 12vdc system now. I found that the run/accessory line feeding the car's radio works well for ignition sense.

Here's a link to the install manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3k529wkRVv1aWl5NnU3U2RUUVE/view?usp=sharing

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
These are easy radios to install. If I recall correctly, pin 10 on the rear 20 pin connector is the ignition sense. You can pick up 16 pin connectors over on eBay pretty cheap. The 16 pin connectors work just fine on the 20 pin CDM's.

I'd suggest the remote head install, makes life easier on newer cars. I've been buying them from WisComm for cheaper than they are going used on e-Bay.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
you can even buy a pre-made ignition sense accessory plug on ebay so you dont have to deal with finding the pin and putting in the wire.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Good car for radios so long as you go with remote heads. About the only place to mount a full radio would be to the side of the center console towards the front on the passenger side or maybe under the dash somewhere. I had four remote heads mounted to the center console in various places. It all worked well and didn't block the cup holders.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you really want to make these radios shine, install it with one of the big Motorola external speakers. It really improves the sounds and intelligibility by quite a bit.
My personal truck has a CDM1550 with the Moto speaker mounted under the dash. Plenty loud enough to hear the radio at half volume with all the windows down at highway speeds. Makes it a lot easier to hear radio traffic.
My wife's Ford Escape has a CDM1250 without the external speaker, and it still works well. I do prefer the audio from the external speaker, though.

Also running a CDM750 in a Polaris UTV. Running down a fire road at 40mph with a full face helmet on I can hear/understand all radio traffic without any issues. At full volume with the vehicle stopped, it'll hurt your ears.

That and a properly installed permanent mount antenna. Can't go wrong with a good setup like that.

JChabalie

Thanks everyone for the input. Eventually, I hope to put a remote head in, but for now, it will just go on the side of the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.