• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Antenna Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought (a week and a half ago) a new 2015 Chevy Silverado crew cab and am looking to install antennas on the roof. Does anyone have any guidance on what the roof structure is like above the headliner? I pulled the back upper brake light but can't really see inside due to a cross piece that is a few inches from the rear of the truck.

The overall body style of the truck is the same as the 2014 trucks so I am assuming the under roof structure is the same as well.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to do it (or have it done) without the headliner having to be dropped/removed completely. I know there are side curtain airbags and all that and don't want to cause any problems with those, either, but I really want antennas on NMO's on this truck as I plan to keep it awhile.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• r640.jpg
    r640.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 5,558

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is all I've got. This was a single antenna on the cab roof of a 2016 Silverado crew cab.
The tape at the rear of the cab is roughly across the ends of the ribs. The 3/4" hole was drilled 16.5 inches forward of that.

IMG_5252_zpsuurxf3qy.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
This is all I've got. This was a single antenna on the cab roof of a 2016 Silverado crew cab.
The tape at the rear of the cab is roughly across the ends of the ribs. The 3/4" hole was drilled 16.5 inches forward of that.

[Image]

Was it easy to "fish" the cable? What path did you take?

I'm thinking about mounting the radio bodies under the back seat or somewhere back there if I can get the power line and the antenna coax there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The radio is mounted in the center console, so the coax comes down the "B" pillar behind the driver seat. Wasn't difficult, however you do have to be aware of the side curtain airbags. I did disassemble the trim on the B pillar to more easily route the cable.
Once it was down at the floor, I was able to run it along under the sill plate and found a path to the center console. Taking it rear towards the back seat would probably be just as easy.

Fishing power was a bit more difficult. Power was routed from the battery to an existing grommet on the drivers side. Was able to make a hole on the side of the larger grommet and get in through the firewall that way. Not a lot of room to work under the dash.

Not sure there is much room behind the rear seats on these trucks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This photo is a bit of a funky angle, but it's the terminal on top of the battery. Power was tied into the unused 125 Amp lug. Properly sized fuse was installed within a few inches of that post.

IMG_5248_zpsifkoppsz.jpg

Here's the grommet (with the yellow mark) that was used to run the power cable in through the firewall. It's on the drivers side.

IMG_5250_zpsunm2zo88.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If I recall correctly, the studs on the battery were 6mm x 1 thread, metric. I had some stainless steel. Nut, couple of flat washers and a lock washer.

OK, great - that is also helpful info, along with the images. I appreciate it!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If I recall correctly, the studs on the battery were 6mm x 1 thread, metric. I had some stainless steel. Nut, couple of flat washers and a lock washer.

Where did you ground the power lead? I briefly looked but didn't have much time at that point, so is there is grounding point near the battery/terminal block?

I will be running one large gauge wire from the battery/terminal post into the cab and then using a power block of some sort (using Anderson Powerpoles) to connect each radio.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Where did you ground the power lead? I briefly looked but didn't have much time at that point, so is there is grounding point near the battery/terminal block?

I will be running one large gauge wire from the battery/terminal post into the cab and then using a power block of some sort (using Anderson Powerpoles) to connect each radio.

Do not ground at the battery.
Ground it at the point on the fender where a pigtail comes from the battery to the fender. This permits the battery monitoring capabilities of the vehicle computer to function normally.

Tip of the hat on going for a proper antenna install.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Do not ground at the battery.
Ground it at the point on the fender where a pigtail comes from the battery to the fender. This permits the battery monitoring capabilities of the vehicle computer to function normally.

Tip of the hat on going for a proper antenna install.

I don't plan to, that's why I was asking.

Of course, that topic has been debated quite a bit in a thread or two on here and it seemed opinions were mixed (no need to debate it here, I'm just saying they were mixed; I'm of the same opinion as you). I plan to ground to the grounding point but the reason I was asking is because I briefly looked yesterday and wasn't seeing where that point is -- it looked like the grounding line was going straight down and not over to the fender as I've seen on other vehicles. But that was just a quick look, I didn't trace it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've done two of these trucks and both of them were single radios. I do believe one was grounded inside the cab closer to the radio. The other had the negative lead run all the way back and grounded near the battery. If I recall correctly there was an existing hole in the interior sheet metal panel under the hood near the battery. I installed a 1/4 x 20 bolt through that hole with appropriate star washers.

Have not had any issues with either install.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My recommendation is to pull the dome light out and get a peek around there. That being said, the cross brace behind 3rd brake light is present in the 07-13 body as well.

As far as power goes, when I bought my 13 the previous owner had a sub system behind the back seat...only thing that was done right was how power was ran from the battery so that's all that got reused. The radio is an Astro Spectra Plus (110W) with a W3 head using a "Install Bay" fuse DB behind the back seat. Currently the radio is grounded through the tray to chasssis. The antenna is a Panorama Sharkee (mounted within sight of the roof from the dome light). I've got more stuff to install in it...like a Simoco SDM622, a X10DR wireless speaker mic and the Astro Siren box for the Spectra...but I just haven't had time (I put about 1000 miles a week on the truck). The Panorama has a 146-174/430-480/764-895 MHz whip on it, a 2.4/4.9 GHz antenna in it, quad band cellular antenna in it, and a GPS antenna in it. The whip will eventually be triplexed (or diplexed thorugh a tirplexer) to the VHF Motorola, UHF Simoco and maybe a 800 MHz Simoco. The X10DR will get hooked up to the 2.4 GHz antenna...don't know if I'll utilize the cell and GPS antennas on this truck. The SDM622 control head will go next to the W3...haven't decided where the X10DR will go yet.

Whip pictured is a VHF nitol whip (I've never gotten around to uploading a picture of the triband whip to photobucket).
E17949FF-C8E5-46F8-9C4B-6E470509A940_zpsglkirgzy.jpg

20883DBE-2E8D-4611-ACDD-7AE0C1B0E2A4_zpslvw5jl6l.jpg

10E5FDF4-59D8-4753-ACA9-6859926D8AC6_zpsb2nae2qk.jpg

Last edited:

Mattguy

You could always do a Backrack if you don't want to drill any holes. This is from my 2013 Silverado. Along with a picture of my console.

Attachments

• Silveado antenna2.jpg
    Silveado antenna2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 4,214
  • console2.jpg
    console2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5,042

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You could always do a Backrack if you don't want to drill any holes. This is from my 2013 Silverado. Along with a picture of my console.

Nice looking console! And no, I don't have any problem having the holes drilled - I want to install the antennas the right way for the best results - but I just don't trust myself to do it right is all. :D

Mattguy

Thanks! I hear you about drilling holes in a brand new truck! What do they say? Measure 5 times drill once.

I'm waiting on Jotto to come out with a new console for the newer Silverado's as I have a 2015 2500HD. The consoles they make are beautiful.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Spoke to soon. They actually make one for a non console truck. More stuff to buy.

Check out Troy Products as well. When Joto came out with that style console for the 07-13 body they were limited to ES transfercases only if you had 4wd. Troy made theirs $100 cheaper and shifted everything to the passenger side an inch to accommodate the floor mounted range selector.

Mattguy

Couldn't find anyone that sells Troy. I lucked out as I have push button 4x4. Troy does make some nice console faceplates.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.