• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Rack Mount Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Can anyone recommend a desktop rack mount cabinet that is more shallow in depth then the standard 18". I'm looking for a cabinet that is at most 12" deep and 8-10U tall.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a desktop rack mount cabinet that is more shallow in depth then the standard 18". I'm looking for a cabinet that is at most 12" deep and 8-10U tall.

Have you web searched for "shallow 8u rack" or "shallow 10u rack"??

Colton25

Yes I have, several different ways. I do my best to figure things out myself before I go asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

Colton25

I was looking for something like this, just more shallow.
1d61107702ccf9f3fa4c06133dbc02ec.jpg

Colton25

Those are cool, I already have one like above however it is the full 18" and it's way too big. I'm wondering how the particle board or whatever it is would tolerate me cutting what I don't need off the back.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Those are cool, I already have one like above however it is the full 18" and it's way too big. I'm wondering how the particle board or whatever it is would tolerate me cutting what I don't need off the back.

If it's the MDF stuff I've been told it's pretty easy to work with. Might have to be careful with if it has the smooth black veneer stuff on it but probably could cut it, if you could disassemble it then probably much easier.

majoco

Stirrer
At the moment I'm using an old speaker cabinet that just happened to fit. I screwed some 1inch square batten to take the shelves and carefully measured everything for best fit. However as you see there are now a proper couple of items that are real 19" rack sizes so I'm going to have a rethink. If I plan everything I will end up with a system made from 9 ply sides, top and bottom with MDF shelving that I can re-arrange as necessary, power supplies and power switching will sit round the back and antennas will be connected with a patch panel. Maybe next week/month/year..... :)

http://forums.radioreference.com/at...nstallation-complete-jamesdale-desk-1-sml.jpg

enine

Bud Industries and Hammond both make various sizes and depths and you can order from places like digikey and mouser.
You can also buy just the rails and build your own box to mount them in.

PACNWDude

I bought, on an auction site, some used Zetron dispatch console racks. Some of these are shallow, 8-10" deep and 19" wide. They were made for 4217B audio panels and ALI displays and speakers.

May have some luck searching for Zetron gear and just using the desktop rack portion.

bharvey2

I've built a couple of rack mount enclosures. Usually I'll build the cabinet our of plywood and if I just have one or two devices to mount I'll drill and tap some aluminum angle and mount it in the cabinet. If there are many item to mount, I'll use some of the drilled and tapped channel that is used for making the two-post Telco racks.

ShawnInPaso

I also needed a custom size rack cabinet and just built my own. If for no other reason, you can save a bunch of money. Just some pine boards, a little glue and screws and a few rack rails.

These are old pics, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,180
  • rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,328
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,101

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Wow Bill, I really like that look. Now you have me thinking............:)
Since you are obviously handy with tools, perhaps the side profile with dimensions may be useful. The major feature is that the bottom is inset, which will allow me to still use my mouse, and the flat top will allow me to put my smaller 4:3 side monitor on top.

Once I manage to measure all of my gear accurately, I plan to use the "Front Panel Designer" software to create the templates for the 2u front panels and place my order for them:
nBQdc.png

ShawnInPaso

Thank you Bill, I may very well use that design. I'm in the process of redesigning the shack, not too sure what the end result will look like just yet, but most gear will remain in 19" racks.

Status
Not open for further replies.