• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Shack Hints: Programming cable access

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
When building your shack or installing radios in a vehicle remember that occasionally you may want to computer program the radios later. While most scanners these days are programmed from the front panel not all radios are. Remote head radios often require access to the radio itself for programming, this might be buried someplace out of sight.

Depending on how you mount your radios and how often you plan on programming them by computer you might want to pre-plan this and provide easier access for the programming cable.

Is the radio itself in the trunk or otherwise less accessible? Consider running an appropriate cable to an accessible place so you can easily get to it with your laptop.

Is the radio built into a console in the shack? Run a cable under the table or thru the panels or perhaps hanging from the back of the rack.

Most of my radios are front panel programmable so I usually don't have a problem. I do have a couple however, including a remote-head Whistler WS1095 that do not have front panel access for programming. The radio is mounted behind in the cabinet so I ran a USB cable from the radio shelf unit to the front of the radio rack so I can just plug it into the USB port of the computer.

Some radios won't allow such niceties however. For whatever reason some ham rigs program thru the speaker jack. If you have a programming cable plugged in then the radio cannot be heard. On one such radio I was using a remote speaker so I used a 3-wire audio extension cable. I could unplug the speaker and connect the programming cable into the extension cable. This allowed me to program the radio from the comfortable cabin of the SUV instead of leaning in to the cargo area.

I took things a little farther in my home shack. I ran a USB extension cable from the computer itself to the rack so I could plug in the programming cable for whatever radio I was working on. I have a mixture of various type radios but they all use USB, either with a serial adapter, a RS or Uniden programming cable or some specialty cable. I just plug it into the USB extension that is easily accessible on my rack instead of crawling around in the floor trying to plug it into the back of the computer.

I did the same thing for mic jacks and a couple other cables for accessories or radios. Keeping it neat but accessible makes for a lot less stress when you want to connect devices. Think about putting a USB hub someplace easily accessible if you have several devices needing access.

The less you have to move things the less problems you are going to have down the road. You can spend more time operating the radios than operating on them.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Those are nice hints. I'm in the process of building a 6u sloping rack for my desk and will take your point about installing a dedicated USB port on the front panel instead of draping programming cables across the desk to the computer. :cool:

jpm

The current new Uniden scanners I have the programming access point is in the front of the 996t, 996xlt and the 996p2 Uniden scanners. The only time I do reprogram my scanners that being the 352p2 when vacationing. Another point I always take my scanners with on vacation illegal or not I JUST DO IT. Who cares ...... right.

PACNWDude

Great ideas. Thank you for sharing.

I have lost count of how many times I have seen installs where radios need to be removed or consoles taken apart for upgrades or reprogramming.

Other times, it is the attached equipment that is neglected: delay timers, L3 Comms relay boxes, remote control boxes for other devices. Seems some installers think the work is done once the install is done.

The worst for me were done on small vessels. Radios placed into consoles and left to corrode behind some wooden panel from condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.