• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

Just got some lmr400 coax for my uhf setup, and my swr has gotten considerably worse. I'm thinking it's gotten worse because more of my signal is making it to the antenna, considering I was using a mix of rg8x and rg58a/u, with a coupler in between. All connected to a mobile 5/8 wave antenna with a ground plane kit, mounted on a painted aluminum push up pole. My coax is about 23ft long.

My question is, could the current routing of my coax have an affect on my swr (picture below)? I'm pretty sure I need a new antenna, at this point it's a toss up between the comet ca-f72gf, or the browning 6143. I'm not sure if the browning requires a ground plane....thoughts?

Attachments

• 20160325_103945.jpg
    20160325_103945.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 509

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
For the most part how you route the coax should have no effect on the SWR. With only 23 feet you should have much loss so I would suspect something wrong with the antenna. That is assuming the connectors on the coax are made properly. A mobile antenna with an added ground kit may need additional tuning to achieve a proper match.
BB

You should measure the SWR at the other end of the coax, right at the antenna. That will tell you if the antenna is causing the problem, as well as letting you know if there is excessive loss in the cable.

Josh380

I'm pretty sure it's the antenna. This is brand new coax fresh off the spool...didn't come with connectors so I did them myself. As long as this metal grill isn't going to throw things off I'm good. I think I've settled on the comet ca-f72gf.

Blackswan73

I'm pretty sure it's the antenna. This is brand new coax fresh off the spool...didn't come with connectors so I did them myself. As long as this metal grill isn't going to throw things off I'm good. I think I've settled on the comet ca-f72gf.
First thing I would check is the connectors. Check for , opens, shorts, and intermittents

Josh380

Band is gmrs/commercial. Gp radials are 6". Motorola rss test frequency transmits on 455.005. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the test frequency in the rss (maxtrac r07.02.00a).

Last edited:

Josh380

Swr is off the chart..7+. All of my power is being reflected right back. Needless to say I've stopped transmitting until I get the issue resolved. Before putting the new coax in, swr was 1.7. Remember, I was using rg8x and rg58a/u with a coupler in between the two. Rg8x was coming from the radio to the coupler, then moving on to the thin stuff where it terminated at the antenna.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As stated, you really need to measure at the antenna as well to compare. Also, take a 19" jumper and add it in to see if that changes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
What model is the antenna ? Is the antenna center pin or tab connected to the center of the base ??

Status
Not open for further replies.