• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Install methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy1997

Got my first car yesterday, a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. I have the radios, VHF ham and CB, installed crudely between the passenger seat and console. Does anyone have any advice on how to install them a bit better?

Trainguy1997

At Hammond Whiting Amtrak after I got it before I went to work.

Attachments

• 13782152_969318789832078_1362807801994685718_n.jpg
    13782152_969318789832078_1362807801994685718_n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,027

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Best thing to do is start searching for photos of other installs.

Be careful about the amateur installs, I've seen some terrible stuff. Instead, look at -professional- installs. Since Explorers were used in some law enforcement service, it should be pretty easy to find photos of good installs.

A good place to look is over at the BatBoards over at Batlabs: Batboard - Index page There is a section of the forum that specifically deals with vehicle installs.

When installing, make sure radios are out of the way of airbags ( ! ). ALWAYS run your power directly to the battery. NEVER tap into existing circuits for any of the main power connections for your radios.
Permanent install NMO mounts for your antennas are the way to go, anything else is a compromise.

SCPD

QRT
Can you take some photos of the inside so we can see what you have to work with. There are several mounts made by RAM that may work for limited space areas. Like what the Police Departments use for their computers and such.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

Trainguy1997

Can you take some photos of the inside so we can see what you have to work with. There are several mounts made by RAM that may work for limited space areas. Like what the Police Departments use for their computers and such.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

I am at mom's for the weekend(wound u taking Amtrak since I could not get insurance yesterday thanks to an event in town) but once I get home Monday morning I can get some pics.

Trainguy1997

After some kinks with the truck and having it towed out of work last Monday, here are some photos of the inside to see if I can get an idea on where to mount these things. I can't mount anything in the console since its too small and it holds my first aid kit (which came from a Burlington Northern loco and I found on eBay) and road flares. The wire inside in the console is for some lights I am putting on Tuesday thanks to a cowoker I work with who also works for the Hammond EMA. As you can see though the radios are mounted between the seat and console but I am hoping there is a better way I can mount them and even redo the wiring since its all on the passenger seat floor, as seen in one of the photos. If you have an idea on where I can put this then save the photo, draw some arrows where it should go, and re-upload it.

Attachments

• DSC_1159.jpg
    DSC_1159.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC_1160.jpg
    DSC_1160.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC_1161.jpg
    DSC_1161.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 893
  • DSC_1164.jpg
    DSC_1164.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 920

SCPD

QRT
You could try to see if a RAM mount can be bolted to the passenger seat, one used for computers like the PD Cars use. Mount radios on top of it. This would place them right at a good level for viewing as well. Something like this.
0cba9c71d62b273cb3df4c2ba9de471e.png

SCPD

QRT
They make many different styles, and vehicle specific ones. Just check their website out. www.rammount.com
Hope this helps or can give you an idea of something similar to use.

Trainguy1997

SCPD

QRT
I totally get it man! At least look at the mount and it may give you some ideas as to what you can do.
Maybe use the mounting brackets that came with the radios and mount to he side of the console under the dash with your larger radio and place the smaller one in he console. Might take drilling a hole out for the connector to fit. Hard to tell how wide it is. But from the looks of it there maybe a way to get both in that console under the dash. The one that your mics appear to be sitting in. Best thing I have found is to just sit in the car and think and visualize where they could go. Also the top of the dash is another option. Use some industrial Velcro, 3m makes some good stuff. Also the side of the console for the large radio and in it for the small one. Just some things to think about.
Good luck with the job as well, I'm sure you'll get it!!
73 and God Bless.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
DO NOT PUT RADIOS ON THE TOP OF THE DASHBOARD... in any kind of crash they will become a projectile

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
DO NOT PUT RADIOS ON THE TOP OF THE DASHBOARD... in any kind of crash they will become a projectile

This right here!

In May someone ran a stop sign and hit me. My GPS, which has a larger than normal suction cup to hold better, flew across the truck and hit me in the arm. It left a pretty big bruise. I could only imagine what a five pound radio would do.

byndhlptom

Explorer radio install

"DO NOT PUT RADIOS ON THE TOP OF THE DASHBOARD... in any kind of crash they will become a projectile"

if they are bolted down, they are no more a projectile that other mounted stuff..... A common place to mount radios/control heads, etc. in commercial vehicles.

I agree that vacuum mounts and Velcro do not secure anything that weights more than a few ounces in an accident. Same goes for all those "vent" mounts popular with the cellphones.....

I cut away the front section of the console (just cupholders and stuff), bolted an aluminum plate to the floor and mounted three radios to the plate with tall U brackets. Worked great (90's explorer), sorry, no pics

$.02

SCPD

QRT
Yes. I totally agree with not mounting to the dash with Velcro. I was stating to use the Velcro for the console, inside of it. Sorry if my post made it seem as if I was saying to use Velcro on the dash LOL! Hell no I wouldn't do that either!! I was rather saying to use it in the center console for the small radio only!! Not for the large one. But bolting it down is indeed the BEST option!! Totally can agree with that. Just not sure if he wants to be placing holes in his console and/or dash. Again, sorry for any misrepresenting of the use of Velcro. It was not my intention!!! Now I will again not post again as I don't want to argue. Have a great day to the the person that started the thread and I won't say Good Luck on getting the job, as it's not luck!! Work hard and keep your head high!! And get that job!!!
73 and God Bless.

Blunt630

The best velcro that can hold up alot and withstand the heat is the 3M Dual Lock. Most others will just peel right off in 80 degree heat. I use 3M Dual Lock for my radios and CB. Been sticking for over 2 years now no issues.

SCPD

QRT
Funny you say that as that is the Velcro that I mentioned in the post I made about using it!! It is good stuff!!! Thanks for confirming this. Good day.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
As a professional installer for a State Agency I would take out the factory console since it doesn't have any connections to the rest of the truck(window switches etc). Look for a used PD console for that truck on Fleabay, (anything new are way overpriced) it will also make the install much easier and safer for if you are ever in an accident as a loose radio can become a missile. Even if you bolt down a radio on top of the dash you might impede the air bag or cause it to rip and explode hot gasses out. Look at you owners manual for deployment areas.

SCPD

QRT
Awesome recommendation radioman2001!! Didn't even think of that one. Although the poster is tight on money. Maybe a photo of one and he could build it himself? Just food for thought. Anything is possible with some help and a little imagination. Hope he gets it figured out.

Trainguy1997

Awesome recommendation radioman2001!! Didn't even think of that one. Although the poster is tight on money. Maybe a photo of one and he could build it himself? Just food for thought. Anything is possible with some help and a little imagination. Hope he gets it figured out.

Gotta head to Chesterton tomorrow. Since I am there might as well have KC9CAU take that console out. He has a degree in automotive stuff. Then I will go from there if I have enough time to install everything

Status
Not open for further replies.