• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Mounting Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS794362

I'm looking for a mobile radio bracket that can hold a 5.5 inch Icom radio and a yet to be determined CB radio. The Icom uses a bracket similar to this one:

jqshMNF.jpg

While most CB radios use a bracket similar to this one:

s48ERaH.png

One idea would be to find a CB radio wide enough where the Icom bracket could be attached with screws to the bottom half of the case, avoiding the speaker and internal components, but the concern there is that the thin metal isn't designed to hold a 3 pound radio. I have been looking for a CB that is 5.5 inches wide, but I can't find a 5.5 inch bracket that will support both radios. Mounting the radios in two different locations in the vehicle is not an option, there's only one usable spot and that is center, under the dash, one radio over the other.

Anyone have any suggestions they could please post?

Thank you.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
When confronted with limited dash space in the past, I have mounted one radio directly under the other by using small bracket extensions from the mounting holes on both sides of the top radio to the corresponding mounting holes in the bottom radio. If necessary, these could be fashioned from flat steel or aluminum stock with holes drilled at the appropriate locations.

John AC4JK

TS794362

Just to let you guys know my post was not originally made to this sub-forum and while awaiting mod approval in the other sub-forum, I didn't know that the post was moved and had received replies here.

When confronted with limited dash space in the past, I have mounted one radio directly under the other by using small bracket extensions from the mounting holes on both sides of the top radio to the corresponding mounting holes in the bottom radio. If necessary, these could be fashioned from flat steel or aluminum stock with holes drilled at the appropriate locations.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fabricator so it probably wouldn't look to good. Where the Icom is now is a slide mount, which I have stripped of all connections so it can be used as just a mount. The Icom's wide, two screws on each side, bracket design doesn't make it the most convenient to attach to a single screw on each side bracket. Doing so would likely create an off-set that would either cause the lower radio to stick out past the face of the Icom like a shelf or disappear underneath. Which the latter isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Because the CB radio model is to be determined -- why I posted the question in a different location -- I was thinking that might help determine the direction to take. For example,. I looked at many radios but the ones that have the most appeal include:
Cobra 19 DX IV......: 6-3/4" W x 6-7/8" D x 1-7/8" H
Cobra 29 LTD Classic: 7-9/32" W x 8-5/8" D x 2-13/63" H
Uniden PRO-520XL....: 4-1/2" W x 6-3/4" D x 1-3/8" H
The Cobra 19 DX IV because it looks the closest to the Icom. The Cobra 29 LTD Classic because it has a wide case, which might help for attaching the Icom. The Uniden PRO-520XL because it is the narrowest. None of the above are 5-1/2" wide.

Oh BTW, the main purpose of the CB radio is not for talking on 11m. Instead, it is for the PA function, something lacking on all mobile 2m and 70cm radios that I've seen. I intend to connect a 50 Ω dummy load to the SO-239 socket of the CB radio to prevent accidentally burning out the finals.

I looked at all relative mounts and I don't see one that would work. They are either smaller than the Icom or so wide that the Icom would have to be attached with four long standoffs.

The Gamber Johnson SM-212 is certainly a candidate. While I understand how it goes together, I couldn't get a sense of what the radios would look like once mounted. I looked for images and/or video of the mount in use and couldn't find any. Looking at the product image from the above links the mount looks clunky, but that just might be me not imagining what installed radios would look like. Then again, beggars can't be choosy.

If anyone has further thoughts on the matter, please post them.

Thanks all.

TS794362

I've decided to go with the Uniden PRO-520XL. Compared to the others, the PRO-520XL is the smallest and has 7 watts audio. Plus it is smaller than the Icom and should hide underneath nicely once a mount is determined.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.