• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

full range speaker recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

guttapercha

Hi,

I'm building a console for my new truck and plan to install built-in speakers for radios. Because having an actual speaker housing would be unnecessary and clutter up the inside of the console, I am wondering if anyone can recommend any small high-efficiency speakers with no housing (say 4" or less) that might be good for this project?

Thanks,

Josh

K7MEM

The best speaker that I have come across, for communication purposes, is the "center" speaker from a surround sound system. These speakers are usually designed for the voice portion of the audio spectrum, and really enhance the intelligibility. The one that I use is from a RCA surround sound system. The speaker, with housing, is about 6-1/2" wide by 3-1/2" high by 3-1/2" deep. That's not very big compared to the sound quality it provides. It may not work as well outside of its housing. I drive mine with a small PA amplifier that has multiple inputs, so I can hear several radios at the same time. But it works fine connected directly from a radio.

If you need to hear music through the same speaker, the rest of the surround speakers might be of use. They are even smaller than the center speaker.

Martin - K7MEM

guttapercha

The best speaker that I have come across, for communication purposes, is the "center" speaker from a surround sound system. These speakers are usually designed for the voice portion of the audio spectrum, and really enhance the intelligibility. The one that I use is from a RCA surround sound system. The speaker, with housing, is about 6-1/2" wide by 3-1/2" high by 3-1/2" deep. That's not very big compared to the sound quality it provides. It may not work as well outside of its housing. I drive mine with a small PA amplifier that has multiple inputs, so I can hear several radios at the same time. But it works fine connected directly from a radio.

If you need to hear music through the same speaker, the rest of the surround speakers might be of use. They are even smaller than the center speaker.

Martin - K7MEM

Thanks, Martin. I'm very limited by space inside this thing so I'm just going to give it a try with a 3" speaker from parts-express that got a decent review for ham radio. I suspect you are correct about the housing being a factor. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and I just have to figure out places to squeeze in some speakers in the vehicle.

JD

Rred

jd-
Bear in mind that a "communications grade" speaker for radios is built for the 300-3000Hz range that the radios use, not the very different 100-15,000Hz range of FM radio or the larger range of CD & DVD.
The speaker housing is an intrinsic part of how the cone is "tuned", because backpressure from the air being dampened in the housing is effectively a spring acting on the speaker cone and coil. Not saying this is always done right much less done well (G) just that it is a real factor.
I would expect that a quality communications speaker (i.e. from Motorola) that is sold complete with a minimal enclosure, is going to be "tuned" for clear communications-grade radio audio, more so than a random raw speaker. Which will almost certainly be built for higher power (watts) than a communications radio would supply to an external speaker.

lmrtek

Go to a truck stop
They usually have several quality external speakers on display and truckers tend to have ALOT more noise to deall with so they terternd to work pretty well

guttapercha

jd-
Bear in mind that a "communications grade" speaker for radios is built for the 300-3000Hz range that the radios use, not the very different 100-15,000Hz range of FM radio or the larger range of CD & DVD.
The speaker housing is an intrinsic part of how the cone is "tuned", because backpressure from the air being dampened in the housing is effectively a spring acting on the speaker cone and coil. Not saying this is always done right much less done well (G) just that it is a real factor.
I would expect that a quality communications speaker (i.e. from Motorola) that is sold complete with a minimal enclosure, is going to be "tuned" for clear communications-grade radio audio, more so than a random raw speaker. Which will almost certainly be built for higher power (watts) than a communications radio would supply to an external speaker.

Yes, I agree. In my last vehicle, I used a GE-Ericsson Land Mobile speaker, and a Kenwood speaker that are fantastic. Unfortunately, the new truck has much less room for speakers and I thought I'd try to build
some speakers directly into the custom console from the inside. I'll definitely report back with results when the whole project is finished. Worst case is that I'll wind up using the old speakers but they'll be mounted in less than cosmetic locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.