• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Impala Police install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

I recently purchased a 2012 Impala police car. I am installing 2 scanners in it. I found information in a manual that came from GM that you can connect aftermarket radio equipment to the car stereo speakers. After a little digging, I found the wires in the passenger/front foot well. It appears that these are correct. All the wire colors match up according to what is in the paperwork. However, when I connect the scanner output to these wires, I hear no audio from the scanner. I do hear audio from the car stereo though. Do I need to disconnect the stereo wiring at the stereo deck before I hook up the scanner to these wires? Or maybe something else... Thanks in advance for your input!

lu81fitter

My hobby is listening to scanners. I drive a lot for work. I can't justify spending a lot of money on a car just to dump about 30 - 40,000 miles a year on it. Used police cars are cheap and they have heavy duty equipment already installed. I buy a $4-5000 car, run it until it drops, then get another one. Does it make a difference if it a former police car or just any old car? I'm confused ??????

lu81fitter

I thought this forum was for radio equipment installation.... I didn't know I had to explain my car buying preferences and driving habits. But, I guess its not a big deal. Now you know. If anyone has any tips on connecting the speakers, please chime in. Thanks again.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
That option only disconnects the front door speakers to be used with the radio installed instead of the AM/FM radio you loose the front speakers with the AM/FM

lu81fitter

Having the back speakers for AM/FM is fine. I just want to know what I need to do to make the front speakers work for my radios instead of the AM/FM? Currently, when I hook up the wires provided in the paperwork, it does not work.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My suggestion is to follow this guide. It is the WX7 option for the Impala.When we did impalas we never used it as the Radios had their own speakers https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/460/2012 Police Specifications Manual 9-29-11.pdf

The Ford PI's have them as an option as well but I've never used them. Departments usually dictate the radio speaker be installed on the partition next to the driver's head or in the console facing the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
The Ford PI's have them as an option as well but I've never used them. Departments usually dictate the radio speaker be installed on the partition next to the driver's head or in the console facing the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the recommended way to get audio from your radio. Having it behind your ear is the way to go and not mess with the car radio speakers. Local Sheriff has the Motorola speaker mounted in the middle of the partition cage between the front seats and the rear prisoner seats. Works great, can hear the radio nicely since it's literately behind your ear.

On an Impala I assume the cage partition has been removed so try and find a spot for an external speaker. Tried using the front car radio speakers with a cassette adapter that lets you plug line level audio scanner audio via the car radio's cassette deck, but the audio from the front speakers was mediocre. Use them for the car radio, it's always nice to have a working sound system on boring days when driving. BTW I still use that cassette adapter for my XM radio receiver and that works great.

Good radio scanning luck!.

Grayline

You purchased a former police car and your installing police scanners in it?

Was thinking the same thing.. Does OP have a CCP and a gun too? Also 30 to 40 k isnt alot of miles at all for work more like 60-70
You can install using a mini phono plug in between the radio and amp uust dont use the radio while listning to your scanne

frazpo

Was thinking the same thing.. Does OP have a CCP and a gun too? Also 30 to 40 k isnt alot of miles at all for work more like 60-70
You can install using a mini phono plug in between the radio and amp uust dont use the radio while listning to your scanne

Ya, As a former LEO these scenarios always threw up red flags. Not attacking the OP but statistically speaking these guys who purchase former LEO vehicles and deck them out with antennas and scanners are guys who want to be a cop but for whatever reason cannot make the cut. Once again, not attacking but that is just the common stereotype I have seen. Most are harmless but I have always thought they kinda liked to see people slow down with their presence. An Impala probably isn't going to get that knee jerk reaction as much as the old Crown Vics would have though.

The cassette adapter is a good idea for audio. That is if it even has one. Its kind of a newer car.

lu81fitter

I just stumbled across this car. It was cheap and thought it would be good to throw a bunch of miles on. And no, No concealed carry or guns. Not even an FOID.
Thanks for the information about the speakers. Leaving the factory stereo alone sounds like a good plan. I will look for some small external speakers to improve audio of the scanners.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Ya, As a former LEO these scenarios always threw up red flags. Not attacking the OP but statistically speaking these guys who purchase former LEO vehicles and deck them out with antennas and scanners are guys who want to be a cop but for whatever reason cannot make the cut. Once again, not attacking but that is just the common stereotype I have seen. Most are harmless but I have always thought they kinda liked to see people slow down with their presence. An Impala probably isn't going to get that knee jerk reaction as much as the old Crown Vics would have though.

The cassette adapter is a good idea for audio. That is if it even has one. Its kind of a newer car.

Just for reference, here is your classic whacker in a crown vic including fake antennae and state police t-shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZNsOGQF90

To the OP, I've tried using the car stereo speakers in several cars, it just didn't work as good as a high quality communications grade speaker in a good position. With a scanner you should be looking for a DC powered amplified speaker or you won't hear it to well at highway speeds. Good luck with the car.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Many jurisdictions sell used police cars at public auction.

frazpo

Just for reference, here is your classic whacker in a crown vic including fake antennae and state police t-shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZNsOGQF90

To the OP, I've tried using the car stereo speakers in several cars, it just didn't work as good as a high quality communications grade speaker in a good position. With a scanner you should be looking for a DC powered amplified speaker or you won't hear it to well at highway speeds. Good luck with the car.

Exactly what I am talking about. He even references the way people drive when he is around. Notice the visor lights. Typical Wanna-be

frazpo

Many jurisdictions sell used police cars at public auction.

Yes we know. But there is a stereotype,,trust me. I realize not all drivers of retired police cars are this way. Watch the video posted above. The dude wants people to think he is a cop. Thats too obvious.

lu81fitter

I have no intentions of anything like what is shown in that youtube video! I drive to work and drive home. With my work hours, I have no time (and no thoughts) of playing games like that. No police t-shirts, no speeding around. Just driving. I did use the existing holes in the car to mount NMO antennas for my scanners, but it is no different than on my truck. One 18" whip and one 6" whip.
WOW! I never thought this question here would turn in to this!
Anyway.... Thanks for the information about the speakers. I will look into them. I do have a speaker (non-powered) in my truck mounted up behind my head to the left. It works well. With this car, I can't do that because of the airbags. Maybe facing them upward near the front of the seat will work.
BTW, my radios are both Uniden. A 15X and a 996p2. The radio in my truck is a 15X too. They work well.

frazpo

I have no intentions of anything like what is shown in that youtube video! I drive to work and drive home. With my work hours, I have no time (and no thoughts) of playing games like that. No police t-shirts, no speeding around. Just driving. I did use the existing holes in the car to mount NMO antennas for my scanners, but it is no different than on my truck. One 18" whip and one 6" whip.
WOW! I never thought this question here would turn in to this!
Anyway.... Thanks for the information about the speakers. I will look into them. I do have a speaker (non-powered) in my truck mounted up behind my head to the left. It works well. With this car, I can't do that because of the airbags. Maybe facing them upward near the front of the seat will work.
BTW, my radios are both Uniden. A 15X and a 996p2. The radio in my truck is a 15X too. They work well.

No man. Like I said I wasn't implying that was your intention. The post did stray a little. The video is exactly the type I was talking about. Good luck.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Having the back speakers for AM/FM is fine. I just want to know what I need to do to make the front speakers work for my radios instead of the AM/FM? Currently, when I hook up the wires provided in the paperwork, it does not work.
New scanners like the Uniden require special care in connecting an external speaker. They have a balanced pair of audio amps driving the speaker. If you short either lead to ground you will damage the scanner. You need an isolation transformer, or simply use a proper external speaker made for the scanner.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

lu81fitter

Speakers

New scanners like the Uniden require special care in connecting an external speaker. They have a balanced pair of audio amps driving the speaker. If you short either lead to ground you will damage the scanner. You need an isolation transformer, or simply use a proper external speaker made for the scanner.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I tested the wires that were supplied in the car with another old radio I had laying around just for that fact. I didn't want to damage my new scanners if had the wrong wires.

To frazpo, I understand. Things like that come to mind. I just wanted to clarify my intentions. Thanks for your input.
Thanks for the input from everyone! I continue to learn things here on radioreference all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.