• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wall Feed Thru Options for Coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Would like to see some opinions on best way to feed 4 coax cables thru one access point thru outside wall into radio room. (2 scanner antennas, 1 shortwave longwire, 1 2m RG6 line) Rat Shack used to sell a wall feed thru tube but I don't see them anywhere these days. Some specifics - wood house, drilling into area w/out any electrical obstacles, keeping coax at minimal run length. I am thinking some kind of pvc tube or possibly a dryer vent type situation? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

JD
kf4anc

toastycookies

Would like to see some opinions on best way to feed 4 coax cables thru one access point thru outside wall into radio room. (2 scanner antennas, 1 shortwave longwire, 1 2m RG6 line) Rat Shack used to sell a wall feed thru tube but I don't see them anywhere these days. Some specifics - wood house, drilling into area w/out any electrical obstacles, keeping coax at minimal run length. I am thinking some kind of pvc tube or possibly a dryer vent type situation? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

JD
kf4anc

pvc would work fine. Put a 90degree elbow on the outdoor wall pointed down to keep the rain out.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I like this suggestion, but my only concern is outside cosmetics and making sure it looks good. I would want some kind of collar around the pvc against the house to make it look flush, a sleeve against the wall. I think a trip to Home Depot or Lowes is in order to check out the pvc options. I like this better than a hooded dryer vent type install I was considering. Are you talking about plumbers goop where the pvc meets the house? I was thinking also about spraying some of that goopy stuff up into the pipe once it is all installed so that it hardens and keeps out critters, etc. Just spoke with my bro-in-law who has a 2" diameter hole saw and a free weekend so I think I am in business. Thanks for the replies, folks

73s

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks, kg4lqz, I had looked at this before and the reviews were not so good if you read all of them. I knew someone in Florida that gave this a shot and he wasn't very impressed and ended up drilling into the house anyway. Drilling into my house isn't a big deal for me because the install site is behind thick hedges, and the coax will be buried underground against the house to to the entry point. The only unsightly view would be the pvc sticking out of the house and the cables coming out of the ground and leading up maybe 18" to the feed thru tube. All of it hidden even in winter by the thick bushes just outside my radio room window. Have it all planned but the entry method. Thanks my friend!

73s

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks kg6uyz - I am actually doing something like this in my DIY project. A 3" diameter pvc pipe with a turned down end (to act as sort of a drip loop at outside feed) straight thru the wall then cut to fit inside. Also fitting two 3" flanges on each end flush at each feed point secured by plumber's goop. My only decision left is how to plug up the pipe after all is done to discourage creepy crawly critters from using the feed pipe to get inside. I was considering spraying some insulated goop up in there but someone told me although it works it's a bear to work with if and when you ever have to feed another line inside. Someone else suggested stuffing steel wool up inside the tube. I am still debating this ...

thanks for the input!
JD - kf4anc

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Filling it with spray foam will be a pain to remove later if you want to add more cables. Steel wool is another good option, and its easily removable.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey thanks for that, wireless, greatly appreciated. I like the fact that it's easily removable and CLEAR. Doesn't say that it adheres to plastic (pvc) but I can't imagine that it wouldn't, being a caulk designed for indoor/outdoor use. I will definitely check this out.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.