• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile install from Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex288288

So im working on setting up a semi secluded system to talk via 2 way radio.

what I have currently:

VXR 9000 Repeater UHF
4x CP185 Handheld radios UHF

What i am looking for:

A cheap-ish mobile radio - was looking at the QYT versions- thoughts on these brands?
New wire and antenna for repeater - one i have now looks like **** and was having previous issues

My goal is to have comms with repeater in the city while mobile to chat with family.

Any helps would be awesome. looking on amazon more specifically.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'd stay away from QYT. It's a cheap clone of TYT, which got its start cloning Hytera.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I gotta tell you..... I have 2 Yaesu mobiles, 1 Kenwood mobile, a Yaesu portable, a couple of other portables and.....yes. a QYT. Well, it should be here in a few days. I bought it for the workshop and it's mostly for monitoring. The workshop is a metal building and portables don't work inside. It's inexpensive and I have a halfway-decent antenna on a 12' mast outside. I can listen for calls and switch to a portable. I'm not sure I would trust the transmitter in a QYT.

Who knows? It may be a great radio.........or not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
VXR 9000 Repeater UHF --------------- Decent commercial repeater
4x CP185 Handheld radios UHF ------ Passable low end commercial radio
QYT ------------------------------------------- Low end Chinese junk. As stated, a copy of a copy.

Since you've got a good start, why go with a low end mobile like that? If you just need UHF to talk through the repeater, then get yourself a used Motorola CDM-750, 1250 or 1550. Those are quality radios that will work very well, easy to program with the right software.
Or, Kenwood TK-880, TK-8180, etc. etc. etc....

I guess I'm confused why you want a cheap mobile like that.

alex288288

its not like i WANT the cheapest, my problem is, trying to find the mobile used or new, ebay takes 2months for stuff 9 impaitent with delivery ), amazon has very little, local ads have nothing, so i saw the cheap mobiles on amazon with 2 day shipping

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd hold off on the Chinese stuff. It's a crap shoot, you might get something good, or you might get junk.

I'd trawl around on E-Bay and see what you can find. Being a bit more patient and taking the extra time will work out better in the long run.

I'm running quite a few Motorola CDM's, all VHF, but I've had a few UHF ones. Good radios. Programming isn't as easy since getting the software (legally) is expensive.
Kenwood has always been good to me. Find the right TK-880 and they can be front panel programmed.
I used to run a lot of Icom gear back when I was on GMRS. F-420s, F-420, F2020, F221, F621, all good UHF radios, cheap programming software, and reasonably priced.

I understand the urge to get everything going, but it's going to take some time to get the repeater set up and working right. Let that time work in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.